Author Topic: Learning to swim/improving swimming  (Read 82708 times)

Re: Learning to swim/improving swimming
« Reply #475 on: 31 March, 2020, 04:17:03 pm »
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

ian

« Reply #476 on: 31 March, 2020, 05:59:52 pm »
If it weren't so bloody cold outside I would so seriously do that. I already hate the exercise bike that now provides my daily workout while the pool is unavailable. Every time I walk past it, I snarl and it snarls back.

« Reply #477 on: 30 May, 2020, 12:04:37 pm »
Some open water places opening up:-

London Royal Docks
Liquid Leisure in Windsor.
Papercourt Lake near Ripley
Shepperton Lakes (hopefully next week: https://twitter.com/sheppertonswim/status/1266054216579256320/photo/1)

All with various distancing rules plus no on-site indoor changing facilities. (Never bothered me at Shepperton Lakes as there was plenty of space to get changed on the grass.)

Only worries would be:
* open water swimming with little/no swim fitness. I assume a tow float is a requirement even with a wetsuit.
* Shepperton Lake is current 12.something deg C. That's chilly!

My local pool sent round a survey asking for opinions on different scenarios. They were looking at the feasibility of (amongst other things) booking one hour slots for a lane in order to maintain social distancing.

« Reply #478 on: 01 June, 2020, 07:53:05 am »
I suspect chlorine or whatever they clean swimming pools with makes social distancing in terms of swimming almost pointless unless you are going to exhale repeatedly straight at somebody.

« Reply #479 on: 01 June, 2020, 08:26:00 am »
Whilst swimming yes, but in lane swimming if it's busy it's quite common to end up holding on at the end of the length and being close to someone else often having a chat about something or even just the "no, you go" stuff.

The other major concern is transmission from touching surfaces in the changing facilities.

« Reply #480 on: 01 June, 2020, 08:34:23 am »
Swim up and swimming pool operators are beginning to look at re-opening of pools.
Initial reports show allowing 3sqm per customer, also a one child/one parent policy. From my own employers they are also discussing timed slots for all activities, pre-book only, showers/changing only for the pool, not gym/classes, reduction in gym equipment.

They have also warned that not all pools will reopen due to financial implications of no income followed by reduced income/higher outgoings.

There are still issues with the wet side changing areas, with extra cleaning, as throughout the building required

Also if extra staff are required, that will also be an issue, all lifeguard training is suspended, and trying to get people to work on minimum wage is not easy.

Yes Chris, the pools still use chlorine, much reduced due to the use of UV, but you still swim in dilute bleach ;D

« Reply #481 on: 01 June, 2020, 10:43:37 pm »
So you have dilute bleach and UV. Spray the changing rooms with pool water every 12 hours, don’t stop and talk to people, etc.

Swimming pools will e back to normal by Christmas. It’s human nature.

« Reply #482 on: 02 June, 2020, 06:18:24 am »
Roll on the lane rage ;D

ian

« Reply #483 on: 02 June, 2020, 09:42:48 am »
Talking about booking at mine too. Hopefully, they'll give some kind of priority for those of us who continued their direct debits, otherwise, I can see if booked up by kids over the summer.

There's only two lanes usually and they're quite wide, the changing rooms fairly spacious, I think generally it would be fine to reopen.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #484 on: 02 June, 2020, 11:57:26 am »
I'd need to consider the actual risks, but if I could get into a pool I could do my hydro and try and restart that. I'm already older than my surgeon would like for surgery, but the alternative seems to be arthritis and I've enough of that already.

« Reply #485 on: 15 June, 2020, 08:48:21 pm »
swim england have released their pool opening advice

https://www.swimming.org/swimengland/

Multiple documents

« Reply #486 on: 15 June, 2020, 10:39:22 pm »
MarathonSwims on twitter had one example graphic.

A 6 lane 25m pool becomes 3 wide lanes with a maximum of 10 people per lane.

Sounds good if they can get it open, I'd definitely book some sessions and get my swim fitness back!

Davef

« Reply #487 on: 16 June, 2020, 06:09:28 am »
Normally most of my swimming is open water from May to September - I hate chlorine. There are now two choices locally compared with one in normal years and there are longer opening hours. If the outdoor cafe would open and start serving bacon and egg rolls that would be ideal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #488 on: 16 June, 2020, 06:40:49 am »
The main open water here has been booked solid thru to august at present.

Davef

« Reply #489 on: 16 June, 2020, 08:14:01 pm »
That is unfortunate. There is always the sea !

« Reply #490 on: 17 June, 2020, 12:56:18 pm »
increasing swimming in our local River dove at the moment.  I suspect the urine levels in the water now probably rival a swimming pool on a hot day!

« Reply #491 on: 17 June, 2020, 03:15:58 pm »
One of the problems with local rivers is there is very little avaliable in the way of bacterial/chemical testing. Hence it can be potluck on how safe.

Depressingly the sea is 80+ min away

Davef

« Reply #492 on: 17 June, 2020, 07:49:50 pm »
One of the problems with local rivers is there is very little avaliable in the way of bacterial/chemical testing. Hence it can be potluck on how safe.

Depressingly the sea is 80+ min away
Sounds like a day trip by bike. Just adding to my todo list - cycle to seaside and swim.

« Reply #493 on: 09 July, 2020, 05:54:36 pm »
Woo, pools might be starting to open up sometime soon: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53355001

ian

« Reply #494 on: 10 August, 2020, 12:06:17 pm »
Still no swimming around here. Not really sure what the danger is compared to, erm, going to the pub etc.

« Reply #495 on: 20 August, 2020, 02:55:02 pm »
My local council leisure centre opened yesterday. I was booked in for a 9am swim slot (45 minutes).

Nicely done and good social distancing going on.

Just got the email to say Swim Serpentine 2020 has been cancelled (refund or rollover entry for next year). Kind of gutted but at least that takes the pressure off.

Still need to go to the pool as I need to get fit again and the Marathon Swims 10k in November hasn't been cancelled yet (got a feeling it might be, it was very busy in the pool last year and can't see how they can do changing/waiting with social distancing with the same numbers). I need to be mostly ready for this in case there's a chance it does go ahead. (I'd probably bite their hand off for a deferral to 2021.)

Davef

« Reply #496 on: 30 August, 2020, 10:17:20 pm »
First 10km today. Water was on the chilly side (15c). Everything fine now apart from really sore finger joints. Is that a known thing ?

« Reply #497 on: 30 August, 2020, 11:07:32 pm »
Never had that, the only thing I've got from long swims (apart from arm/shoulder aches) was a really sore wrist (like a sprained wrist) after a 6 mile swim last year.

« Reply #498 on: 01 September, 2020, 12:51:47 pm »
I watches some vids giving hints on crawl style (I'm competent at swimming in all styles, but my crawl is clumsy and I get breathless quickly)

So, on holiday, with wetsuits, we swim about every 2 days. One day I swim for a couple of hours - and end up with an injured shoulder. Could have been trying to sustain crawl for about 1km total (in bursts), or could have been my attempts at butterfly.

Holding arm out levelthen swinging back (eg reaching over into back of car) is painful.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Davef

Learning to swim/improving swimming
« Reply #499 on: 01 September, 2020, 02:20:34 pm »
I watches some vids giving hints on crawl style (I'm competent at swimming in all styles, but my crawl is clumsy and I get breathless quickly)

So, on holiday, with wetsuits, we swim about every 2 days. One day I swim for a couple of hours - and end up with an injured shoulder. Could have been trying to sustain crawl for about 1km total (in bursts), or could have been my attempts at butterfly.

Holding arm out levelthen swinging back (eg reaching over into back of car) is painful.
Rotator cuff injuries are common. It is made worse by failing to rotate properly.

See drills at https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjkuOOjhsjrAhXRVRUIHXItBlkQFjABegQIDBAK&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DfcoNzQYX6Vw&usg=AOvVaw2BTTmJAwsoq6tBGV7XN2vo