Author Topic: Pronunciation that makes you cringe  (Read 149099 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Pronunciation that makes you cringe
« Reply #975 on: 08 December, 2023, 07:59:37 am »
Sounds Russian.  Didn't he write Tolstoy's War and Potatoes?
The Russian version of Lebkuchen are called pryaniki. Though the German ones are nicer.

We don't see them much around here unless we go and fetch them over the border.  What we do get are bredele (3 syllables), guaranteed not to outlast the closure on the packet by more than 10 minutes if kids are involved or half an hour for adults.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bredele
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #976 on: 08 December, 2023, 11:58:34 am »
MarshmAllow.  FFS.
What's the preferred pronunciation  ?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #977 on: 08 December, 2023, 01:57:08 pm »
MarshmAllow.  FFS.

marsh mellow, obvs  ;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #978 on: 08 December, 2023, 02:00:32 pm »
MarshmAllow.  FFS.

marsh mellow, obvs  ;)

DGAS. Love 'em, not allowed 'em. :(

« Reply #979 on: 08 December, 2023, 02:16:14 pm »
MarshmAllow.  FFS.
Oh yeah, sorry if my post was misleading, I was saying that 'marshmallow' is the preferred/right pronunciation, and that 'marshmellow' is an abomination.  Does it originate with the DJ/music producer Marshmello, or is it older than that?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #980 on: 08 December, 2023, 02:18:21 pm »
MarshmAllow.  FFS.
Oh yeah, sorry if my post was misleading, I was saying that 'marshmallow' is the preferred/right pronunciation, and that 'marshmellow' is an abomination.  Does it originate with the DJ/music producer Marshmello, or is it older than that?
Phew. I had you down as a wrong 'un for a while, until that clarification came through. 

« Reply #981 on: 18 December, 2023, 12:40:20 am »
MarshmAllow.  FFS.

'tis markedly older. I remember Peter Kay's act involvwd talking about buying somebody Pick 'n' Mix sweets and insisting they get "Flumps: marshmellows...and flying saucers" so as to keep the weight down. That would have been around 20ish years ago. And that's just the first example to mind - I'm sure it's been kicking about for a fair old while.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #982 on: 29 January, 2024, 06:50:55 pm »
That TV's Victoria Hollins is a pretty enough gel but if she continues to pronounce “Wembley” with three syllables she'll be off to a Reëducation Camp PDQ.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #983 on: 08 February, 2024, 09:51:03 pm »
Presenter talking about "Rackmaninoff", on Radio 3 21:45 8 Feb.

To be fair, a strength of R3 presenters is normally ability to pronounce foreign names.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #984 on: 08 February, 2024, 10:32:57 pm »

To be fair, a strength of R3 presenters is normally ability to pronounce foreign names.

Arising from the above, I've noticed in recent years the strong tendency, nay, universality, of the pronunciation of Saint-Saens for the final s to be pronounced. I'm damned sure we didn't do that half a century ago and we credited Camille with his Frenchness and didn't pronounce the final s. I want to blame Sean Rafferty.

Edit: Aha! A supposedly authoritative piece about how CS-S wanted his name pronounced!

https://lynwoodf.wiki.zoho.com/penguins/How-should-we-say-it.html

Edit 2: I recall about half a century ago I was one of the "responsible" teachers on a day trip to Boulogne with the French department of the school I was teaching at at the time. I did teach some French, hence my presence, and whilst we were waiting for the ferry to arrive to take us back I bought myself an orange juice from a nearby stallholder. I asked for un jus d'orange s'il-vous-plait, and didn't pronounce the s. When the tradesmen returned with my drink, he said "un jus d'orange" and did pronounce the s. I asked him which was considered correct, to pronounce or not to pronounce the s and was provided with a Gallic shrug by way of an answer. I think it's a case of comme-ci-comme-ça.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #985 on: 08 February, 2024, 11:14:31 pm »

Like Lock Ness?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #986 on: 08 February, 2024, 11:28:43 pm »
The definitive guide to pronouncing Saint-Saens is here:

https://youtu.be/iHo-pFUE0so?feature=shared

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #987 on: 09 February, 2024, 08:17:49 am »
Edit 2: I recall about half a century ago I was one of the "responsible" teachers on a day trip to Boulogne with the French department of the school I was teaching at at the time. I did teach some French, hence my presence, and whilst we were waiting for the ferry to arrive to take us back I bought myself an orange juice from a nearby stallholder. I asked for un jus d'orange s'il-vous-plait, and didn't pronounce the s. When the tradesmen returned with my drink, he said "un jus d'orange" and did pronounce the s. I asked him which was considered correct, to pronounce or not to pronounce the s and was provided with a Gallic shrug by way of an answer. I think it's a case of comme-ci-comme-ça.

I've never heard jus pronounced with the terminal S.  He might have been pronouncing it because he knew the English word was juice.

Incidentally, asking for un petit jus in Paris will get you an espresso, whereas the same request in Alsace will elicit "un jus de quoi?" in return because they'll think you want fruit-juice.  Alsace was German for centuries.

« Reply #988 on: 09 February, 2024, 09:30:44 am »
Are we in skon/scohne territory here?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #989 on: 09 February, 2024, 09:57:28 am »
Sort-of.  Alsace was pinched from Germany in Napoleonic times, re-occupied from 1870-1916 or thereabouts and again from 1940-44.  The nature of the food and the incidence of heart problems are closer to those of Germany than those of France, and the everyday speech in this area, close to the border, is a dialect of German heavily larded with French.  We get Germans waltzing in here, speaking German and expecting to be understood, but speaking French just across the border in Germany will get you nothing but a [wilfully] blank look.

And scones here, if we got them, would probably be called muffins, while what sells as muffins are closer to atrophied hamburger buns.

« Reply #990 on: 09 February, 2024, 03:04:29 pm »
I attended a course a few weeks ago where the tutor pronounced nitrous as "nit-rus" rather than "nai-trus". The session was about climate change, so they said it a lot. It was really distracting.

« Reply #991 on: 09 February, 2024, 03:52:06 pm »
I attended a course a few weeks ago where the tutor pronounced nitrous as "nit-rus" rather than "nai-trus". The session was about climate change, so they said it a lot. It was really distracting.
I find barristers do this quite a lot.  They read medical words and then pronounce them phonetically.  Really grates

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #992 on: 09 February, 2024, 06:06:00 pm »
I find barristers do this quite a lot.  They read medical words and then pronounce them phonetically.  Really grates

See also: Clostridium difficile, which is generally regarded as bad news however you pronounce it.

« Reply #993 on: 09 February, 2024, 11:16:54 pm »

See also: Clostridium difficile, which is generally regarded as bad news however you pronounce it.

Pronunciation is often a pain in the arse  :-X

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #994 on: 12 February, 2024, 03:58:00 pm »

We usually just called it C Diff...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #995 on: 12 February, 2024, 04:05:11 pm »

We usually just called it C Diff...
Oh B Cereus.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #996 on: 12 February, 2024, 04:25:09 pm »
Flied Lice!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #997 on: 23 February, 2024, 03:08:13 pm »
A YT video about recreating a hysterical blowterch, accerding to the narrater.  It's only shirt, though.

https://youtu.be/IwkxKkBI3Ug?si=SUrNjvvBs6WtnLen

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #998 on: 24 February, 2024, 03:08:39 pm »
The newsreader on BBC 6 Music this morning was talking about the UXB in Plymouth.  She was putting the stress on the wrong words. It was a bomb from the 39-45 war, a Second World War bomb. She kept stressing the word "war" such that was a second world War Bomb.  "War Bomb", a bit like "Weapons Grade Nerve Agent" I suppose.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #999 on: 24 February, 2024, 05:02:14 pm »
War Bomb rather than terror bomb, bath bomb or weather bomb, I suppose.