Author Topic: Fuelling a little one  (Read 2732 times)

Fuelling a little one
« on: 03 July, 2019, 02:47:47 pm »
In the last Arrivee you may have read about Red my son hitting the imperial century aged 7. On a bamboo bike I made for touring; it has an Alfine hub and weighs a bit...

He wants to go further and faster. I'm going to make another bamboo frame out of left overs from our kits. However I'm a bit stuck for parts. Due to life circumstances I'm unable to fund any more for the foreseeable future. So I'm begging much to my own disgust. So if you aren't interested please click back now.

If you feel you can help fuel his passion though these are the parts I'm after. A lot are kid specific but there are some generic so if you have any or similar kicking about in a parts bin and would like to donate please get in touch. Or if you could spare a small amount towards them that would be much appreciated.

Parts Pool https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/8g7IctGq7L

Parts required

Any help would be much appreciated and we'd be forever in your debt.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Fuelling a little one
« Reply #1 on: 03 July, 2019, 03:24:15 pm »

Not specifically as you have on your list, but I have a pair of shimano mechanical disc brake calipers, I think they are M375, or similar. They are sat in the parts box doing nothing. I have a BBB short reach 38cm handle bar in stock too. If these are useful I would be happy to post them to you.

I'm about to take a centre lock disk rotor off my front wheel, it's got some life left in it, I just want a brand new one for the TCR. I can stick that in if it helps ?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2 on: 03 July, 2019, 03:28:09 pm »
That would be great, I'll DM you shortly.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #3 on: 03 July, 2019, 05:06:51 pm »
Dunno if this is a bit big but I have some spare drop Easton handlebars. -Reach 75 mm, Drop 130 mm C-C 40 cm -  31.8 mm stem clamp diameter.  If that's not too large (seems only a bit bigger than your spec - also presumably he's growing quick so maybe useful in near-future) you can have them.

I took them off my old, rather undersized, first road bike as they were far too small for me.

It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #4 on: 03 July, 2019, 06:33:48 pm »
Many thanks. I've just been offered some 38cm ones for the future so I'll hang fire on those

S2L

« Reply #5 on: 03 July, 2019, 06:41:19 pm »
Why disc brakes? It's an expensive way to build a bike (forks are more expensive, calipers are more expensive, wheels are more expensive) and completely unnecessary to slow down very low mass

« Reply #6 on: 03 July, 2019, 07:09:53 pm »
I've got a kids saddle in my parts bin taken off my son's Worx JA-26 bike. It has the same dimensions as the HUP.cc saddle (250mm x 130mm). It actually looks pretty much identical, just branded differently. I can post it up or will be in Bristol in a couple of weeks time if not too urgent and of interest.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 03 July, 2019, 09:48:13 pm »
Why disc brakes? It's an expensive way to build a bike (forks are more expensive, calipers are more expensive, wheels are more expensive) and completely unnecessary to slow down very low mass

Because the bamboo bike rear dropouts are designed for it. Assuming that GWaudax is using the kits/parts from Bamboo bike club, they have a clever rear drop out that is designed for disk brakes, and thru axle and QR, and single speed and derailure. Also given the bamboo bike build, it saves having a big load put on a tiny bridge part that may not be positioned with precision.

I'm guessing here, but that would be reasoning.

Oh, Calipers are free, they are a donation, and they allow for multiple wheel sizes, so you can make a frame that uses different wheels as the rider grows. Just as another reason...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #8 on: 03 July, 2019, 10:17:10 pm »
Many thanks. I've just been offered some 38cm ones for the future so I'll hang fire on those

Fair enough, but they've been on my office floor for like, 6 years or something so if you fancy them in future, let me know.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #9 on: 04 July, 2019, 09:47:54 am »

Because 24" forks are scarce unless they are heavy BMX ones. I've sourced some carbon ones from China that weren't expensive and are disc mount. Also disc means the rims don't get worn so when he eventually gets bigger I can butcher the frame to make another, re-use the hubs and sell the rims hopefully in pristine condition.

« Reply #10 on: 04 July, 2019, 09:48:55 am »
I've got a kids saddle in my parts bin taken off my son's Worx JA-26 bike. It has the same dimensions as the HUP.cc saddle (250mm x 130mm). It actually looks pretty much identical, just branded differently. I can post it up or will be in Bristol in a couple of weeks time if not too urgent and of interest.

Ian that would be fantastic thanks. No rush at mo so when you are up will be great. Thanks

« Reply #11 on: 04 July, 2019, 09:57:17 am »
Because the bamboo bike rear dropouts are designed for it. Assuming that GWaudax is using the kits/parts from Bamboo bike club, they have a clever rear drop out that is designed for disk brakes, and thru axle and QR, and single speed and derailure. Also given the bamboo bike build, it saves having a big load put on a tiny bridge part that may not be positioned with precision.

Spot on. Although there is a flaw with those dropouts for single/fixed speed as they don't allow you to move the calliper when you tension the chain and you have to put a load of spacers in to make up the 6mm the difference due to the changeable dropouts being bolted to the inside face of the bracket. I've seen dropouts for this where they actually slide and the calliper mount is integrated into this so wheel and brake move as one. But they're for normal bike builds

« Reply #12 on: 04 July, 2019, 09:57:40 am »

Fair enough, but they've been on my office floor for like, 6 years or something so if you fancy them in future, let me know.

If you want rid of them I'll bank them for later

Re: Fuelling a little one - Thank you
« Reply #13 on: 01 July, 2020, 10:52:38 am »
Quickly a big thank you to everyone that donated wonga or parts to Red's Rocket. It serves him well and he is certainly quicker on it than his tourer.

The main purpose was for a few more elusive kph to move from BP to BR. It worked beyond expectations and a 200 was achieved in a BRM time by 8s; even though it was pointless. He wants to do more  ;D

There is a little thank you buried in the Rambling video at the bottom of the blog. Pointless 200

Once again, a massive thank you from both of us.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #14 on: 05 July, 2020, 09:51:10 am »
Great write-up. Really well done Red
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.