Author Topic: Chain food stops for Audax type rides  (Read 3884 times)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Chain food stops for Audax type rides
« on: 24 June, 2020, 11:27:03 pm »
Some observations of chain offerings, for longer rides when you're in an unfamiliar town on a long ride - feel free to add your own.

BP M&S petrol station - good all rounder. Generally have toilets. Food pricey but range includes energy / cereal bars and hot drinks. Cashiers ask if you want any fuel despite wearing helmet :)

Sainsbury's Local - find their sandwich / wrap options a bit boring.

Tesco Express - ditto and tend not to have toilets when part of a petrol station.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Re: Chain food stops for Audax type rides
« Reply #1 on: 24 June, 2020, 11:31:35 pm »
Co-op - the classic Audax pit stop. Quality has improved in recent years and even the smaller ones tend to have something vegan or gluten-free.

Greggs - bakery items great but often a long queue.

Waitrose - despite pricey baseline, the "yellow label" reductions are great value if you're there any time after 3pm. Toilets in most branches. Sadly no longer offer free hot drinks.

Wetherspoons - not everyone's cup of tea for various reasons but food arrives quickly, quality is consistent, vegan and GF options, water refills on bar. (This may change with Covid 19.)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2020, 11:35:39 pm »
Second tier convenience stores (Costcutter, Premier, Londis) - generally these are franchises so hit and miss. Often run out of fridge snacks if you're there after lunchtime. Minimum spend on card may apply.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 25 June, 2020, 07:40:36 am »
Most Co-ops seem to have Costa machines now. I still can't get my divi just over the Essex border into Suffolk, whereas my card always works everywhere in Scotland!

« Reply #4 on: 25 June, 2020, 03:38:26 pm »
BP M&S petrol station - good all rounder. Generally have toilets. Food pricey but range includes energy / cereal bars and hot drinks.
BP filling stations often associate with Wild Bean Cafe (in-house brand? - at least two 'Wild Bean Cafes in BP 'UK HQ' in Sunbury) and their warm> hot offerings eg pasties/slices and pastries are good.

« Reply #5 on: 25 June, 2020, 04:21:13 pm »
Premier convenience stores often have bargains such as £1 big bars of chocolate or 50p bottles of sports drink (too sugary for normal but ideal on a long ride)

Premier Inns are a good place for breakfast as you can walk in and pay on day as a non staying guest.
2 options: breakfast bar or breakfast bar and full English.
Few quid more than 'spoons but quality and quantity worth every penny.
Unlike 'spoons its actually served hot...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6 on: 25 June, 2020, 05:15:39 pm »
Most Co-ops seem to have Costa machines now. I still can't get my divi just over the Essex border into Suffolk, whereas my card always works everywhere in Scotland!

Interesting, didn't think ScotMid (now using the linked O logo and also Lakes and Dales in England) took Co-Op group (using the Co over Op logo) divvy cards.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 25 June, 2020, 07:17:32 pm »

Interesting, didn't think ScotMid (now using the linked O logo and also Lakes and Dales in England) took Co-Op group (using the Co over Op logo) divvy cards.

Thinks, where have I use my card in recent time north of the Border? Paisley/Kilmarnock [in-laws], Edinburgh [cousin], Pitlochry [distant Rellies], Aberfeldy [Hogmanay holiday]. I recall using it on Lewis not long after we got plastic cards instead of divi stamps.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #8 on: 25 June, 2020, 11:01:29 pm »
Is it wrong that when Greggs published a list of their reopening shops I half-expected someone on here to create a gpi/gpx file of them?  ;D
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

bairn again

« Reply #9 on: 26 June, 2020, 10:36:20 am »

I believe thats because they are separate organisations.

From here https://scotmid.coop/about-us/

"Scotmid Co-operative is independent from The Co-operative Group, but we work together in the true spirit of co-operation as members of the Co-operative Retail Trading Group (CRTG)."

So ScotMid are "a" Co-op but they arent "the" Co-op.

Our local shop has gone through many iterations - when we first moved here it was a William Low and is now currently a Co-op (having been a Blockbuster and Sainsburys) and its fantastic.  There was some concern among the Corstorphine fur coat and nae knickers brigade that it was going to be a Scotmid (too downmarket for Corstorphine).  After the blow of missing out on the old Woolies becoming a Waitrose it may have proved too much for many!   

« Reply #10 on: 26 June, 2020, 10:50:59 am »

"Scotmid Co-operative is independent from The Co-operative Group, but we work together in the true spirit of co-operation as members of the Co-operative Retail Trading Group (CRTG)."

Our local shop has gone through many iterations - when we first moved here it was a William Low and is now currently a Co-op (having been a Blockbuster and Sainsburys) and its fantastic.  There was some concern among the Corstorphine fur coat and nae knickers brigade that it was going to be a Scotmid (too downmarket for Corstorphine).  After the blow of missing out on the old Woolies becoming a Waitrose it may have proved too much for many!   

Have you stopped using Fortnum & Mason? I think you should put this on at one of your control's

https://www.fortnumandmason.com/products/the-6-person-reunion-picnic
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #11 on: 26 June, 2020, 11:02:57 am »
 :o    !

bairn again

« Reply #12 on: 26 June, 2020, 03:27:08 pm »

Have you stopped using Fortnum & Mason? I think you should put this on at one of your control's

https://www.fortnumandmason.com/products/the-6-person-reunion-picnic

we’ll lash that on the back of Roberto’s bike for the next york arrow.   :thumbsup: