Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1252220 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #875 on: 03 February, 2010, 12:37:01 pm »
Curry last night was a  bad move.  I felt very full when I was pedalling home.

Chocolate in the middle of the day wasn't a good plan, either :-\
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #876 on: 10 February, 2010, 08:27:48 am »
So. According to Livestrong, my Intake/Exercise for this week:

In: 13,097 kcals
Out: 12,727 kcals

So, if this is to be believed - I've pretty much offset all my intake with exercise. However, this is net calories and doesn't include BMR. So, even if I have the metabolism of a mouse - say, 1000 kcals a day, I should still have lost about a kg because I didn't eat that equivalent. So how the f*cking hell did I gain 300g?

Sommat's not right there.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #877 on: 10 February, 2010, 08:44:40 am »

Bah. Put some weight back on. Really need to be stricter about my snacking.

I just wish I wasn't hungry all the time.

« Reply #878 on: 10 February, 2010, 09:32:03 am »
I think I need a better motivation. Just 'being lighter' clearly isn't enough of a motivator. 'fitting into a big fancy white frock' worked really well, as did 'ever having sex again'. 'Going fast in the summer' clearly doesn't have the same appeal  ::-)

hulver

« Reply #879 on: 10 February, 2010, 09:35:32 am »
I think I need a better motivation. Just 'being lighter' clearly isn't enough of a motivator. 'fitting into a big fancy white frock' worked really well, as did 'ever having sex again'. 'Going fast in the summer' clearly doesn't have the same appeal  ::-)

"Not being the last up every single hill on a ride" is my motivation.

It's rather long term though, and often driven out of my mind by hunger.

simonp

« Reply #880 on: 10 February, 2010, 09:47:39 am »
So. According to Livestrong, my Intake/Exercise for this week:

In: 13,097 kcals
Out: 12,727 kcals

So, if this is to be believed - I've pretty much offset all my intake with exercise. However, this is net calories and doesn't include BMR. So, even if I have the metabolism of a mouse - say, 1000 kcals a day, I should still have lost about a kg because I didn't eat that equivalent. So how the f*cking hell did I gain 300g?

Sommat's not right there.

When I'm exercising a lot there seems to be a lot more noise in the data which can easily shift my weight by 1kg from day to day. When I wasn't exercising over Xmas/ny the noise went away and my weight steadily dropped. As I said before I'm trying to lose 0.5lb per week. Losing weight fast isn't healthy.

Chris S

« Reply #881 on: 10 February, 2010, 10:02:00 am »
'fitting into a big fancy white frock' worked really well

Excellent. I'll try that one  :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #882 on: 10 February, 2010, 10:05:18 am »
When I'm exercising a lot there seems to be a lot more noise in the data which can easily shift my weight by 1kg from day to day. When I wasn't exercising over Xmas/ny the noise went away and my weight steadily dropped. As I said before I'm trying to lose 0.5lb per week. Losing weight fast isn't healthy.

Yeah. Could be - there's a 200k audax caught up in those figures - God knows what feats of chemistry go on inside during and after one of those.

I'm only being slightly aggressive with my weight loss for a short time - and I'm not doing it by reducing intake, but by increasing exercise. Anyway - I was given to believe that 1Kg a week is not excessive (only a couple of pounds) for a chap.

simonp

« Reply #883 on: 10 February, 2010, 10:19:26 am »
I was mainly concerned that I might lose muscle mass if I over did it. I have wondered if the calorie estimates for cycling are optimistic. e.g. Sunday's ride 2400kJ (implying about 2400kcal) on PowerTap. LiveStrong reckons 3900kcal. If you believe one I had a 2000 deficit, if the other it was 500. I have been doing this for nearly 3 months now so should be able to look at the data and draw some conclusions. 

hulver

« Reply #884 on: 10 February, 2010, 10:27:01 am »
I was mainly concerned that I might lose muscle mass if I over did it. I have wondered if the calorie estimates for cycling are optimistic. e.g. Sunday's ride 2400kJ (implying about 2400kcal) on PowerTap. LiveStrong reckons 3900kcal. If you believe one I had a 2000 deficit, if the other it was 500. I have been doing this for nearly 3 months now so should be able to look at the data and draw some conclusions. 

I think the Livestrong calorie estimates are wildly optimistic. There's no way I burned 500 calories cycling 5 miles to work and back. More like 100 at the most.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #885 on: 10 February, 2010, 10:38:29 am »
I think 200g weight gain in a week of no cycling but lots of stress (=more eating) isn't too] bad... :-\
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #886 on: 10 February, 2010, 10:59:42 am »

I think the Livestrong calorie estimates are wildly optimistic. There's no way I burned 500 calories cycling 5 miles to work and back. More like 100 at the most.

5 miles is at least 160 calories unless you're going slowly. I've collected a lot of data from the powertap and I've never done less than 20kJ per kilometre.  Which equates to 20kcal/kilometre, and is very likely to underestimate the true energy cost.

simonp

« Reply #887 on: 10 February, 2010, 11:23:21 am »
OK.

BMR calories 187738
Actual calories 171396

Net deficit: 16342 calories

Predicted weight loss @ 9kcal/gramme of fat: 1.8kg.

Actual weight loss about 4kg.

Target weight loss: 2.7kg.

=> Most likely my BMR is a little higher than predicted.  I've lost weight a bit faster than expected.

hulver

« Reply #888 on: 10 February, 2010, 11:36:51 am »

5 miles is at least 160 calories unless you're going slowly. I've collected a lot of data from the powertap and I've never done less than 20kJ per kilometre.  Which equates to 20kcal/kilometre, and is very likely to underestimate the true energy cost.

Maybe closer to 200 calories then. It is a heavy bike, and a heavy body on top of it. myPlate looks to be over double the calories though. They've calculated me burning 965 calories per hour for cycling at 12-13 mph. I know I'm big, but I don't think it takes that much to move me.

Maybe I'll sit down with some figures and try and work out how many watts I'm pushing and use that to get a slightly more accurate figure for calories.

I'm not cycling that much at the moment, just 5 miles a day commuting, so I'm ignoring the calories added by exercise to myplate.

simonp

« Reply #889 on: 10 February, 2010, 11:41:36 am »
For me it gives 562kcal/hr.

Chris S

« Reply #890 on: 10 February, 2010, 12:25:01 pm »
I think it may be rather more sensible with the Turbo figures. For "moderate" it gives about 600kcals/hr and "vigorous" (which I use when doing intervals) it gives 900kcals/hr. Given that there's no freewheeling available with a turbo, that might be reasonable. It's a lot less than my Polar HRM claims.

For example, this morning's interval session (3x10 + warmup/cooldown so - 30 mins "moderate", 30 mins "vigorous"), my HRM claimed 1200kcals whereas LS claims about 750kcals.

hulver

« Reply #891 on: 10 February, 2010, 12:25:36 pm »
For me it gives 562kcal/hr.

Ah, but I'm nearly twice the man you are (120kg) ;)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #892 on: 10 February, 2010, 01:07:10 pm »
Motivation: Mille Cymru, 23rd July, 13,500 metres ascent

Targets: march 82kg, april 81kg, may 80kg, june 79kg, july 78kg

Current weight: 81.8kg

Method: avoid booze, small lunch, less carbs at dinnertime, same amount of exercise (50km day commuting)

Last time I did this I went completely teetotal for several months but remained stuck at 81kg

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #893 on: 10 February, 2010, 01:45:42 pm »
At the moment my weight is coming off fairly quickly but I was starting from a position of being very overweight (approx 17 stones), I don’t know if this is a factor – I do know from previous experience that the rate of loss will probably slow down significantly as my weight drops under the 95-90kg mark (and if I don’t keep up the momentum I’ll have trouble keeping it off).  Currently lost 1.59 stones since the start of the year.

I’m exercising more- I haven’t missed a commute yet this year and as the round trip is 25+ miles this seems to help.  I’m eating a bit more carefully but certainly not dieting (I’m weighing carbs to ensure that I’m not under or overdoing it).  I’m also making sure that I eat breakfast every day, which also seems to help.

Possibly more significantly, I’m drinking a fair amount less alcohol, still probably a fair intake by most people’s standards but a big reduction for me.

I’m doing up to two turbo sessions on either Tuesday or Thursday and I seem to get much of my weight loss in the day following these efforts.  I’m also doing a long turbo or hilly ride at the weekend.

My problem has never been with shifting weight when motivated, it’s in finding the motivation and keeping the weight off once lost that I really struggle with.  My biggest battle with weight loss will be in the summer when all the rides I have planned for will be over.

border-rider

« Reply #894 on: 10 February, 2010, 02:14:28 pm »
Motivation: Mille Cymru, 23rd July, 13,500 metres ascent

^This

and as an intermediate, the K&SW600 in late May.  A painfest for the salad-dodger.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #895 on: 10 February, 2010, 02:18:16 pm »
'fitting into a big fancy white frock' worked really well

Excellent. I'll try that one  :thumbsup:

;D
I had similar thoughts when I read that  ;)

« Reply #896 on: 10 February, 2010, 02:22:02 pm »
big white frocks are fine, it's the small ones I can't get into. My weight is up but I am not fatter.

border-rider

« Reply #897 on: 10 February, 2010, 02:26:55 pm »

I think the Livestrong calorie estimates are wildly optimistic.

I agree

I think it estimated a 6000 calorie loss for a day's ride for me.

Calculations done using power/HR relationships (very similar to Bridget's data on the performance monitoring thread) indicates that somewhere between 130 and 150 calories per hour is about right for my average audax pace.  That puts a brisk 200 k ride at about 1400 calories.  It's pretty easy to choff more than that in pre-loading, eating at controls and at the end.

That of course ignores any post-riding metabolic benefit.

This is where the recent cycling press critiques of slow riding for fat-burning miss the point; if you're time-limited then it is better to go faster, but the difference between my all-day fat-burning pace (that requires no food at all) and a brisk pace is about 50 kcal per hour.  I'd need to eat more than 50 kcal per hour to maintain the brisk pace...

The only time I ever lose weight on rides is on the really long ones, when I'm cruising along and not pushing the pace all day.

border-rider

« Reply #898 on: 10 February, 2010, 02:36:11 pm »
I think it may be rather more sensible with the Turbo figures. For "moderate" it gives about 600kcals/hr

That seems a lot.  Have i got the calculations wrong ?

600 kcal is 2520 kJ

One hour is 3600 seconds

That makes it about 700 W continual output for an hour  :o

Chris S

« Reply #899 on: 10 February, 2010, 02:41:17 pm »
That makes it about 700 W continual output for an hour  :o

I'm hard-core, me  :)