Author Topic: How much are you riding?  (Read 24129 times)

Re: How much are you riding?
« Reply #100 on: 14 April, 2020, 01:18:32 pm »
Did anyone see the Sunday Times article about the pernicious evil of people on Strava cycling?

LMT

« Reply #101 on: 14 April, 2020, 01:31:57 pm »
Did anyone see the Sunday Times article about the pernicious evil of people on Strava cycling?

I know that the photo is bullshit, taken with long lens. At first glance it looks like a group but those riders are strung out along the road.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #102 on: 14 April, 2020, 02:14:47 pm »

I know that the photo is bullshit, taken with long lens. At first glance it looks like a group but those riders are strung out along the road.

https://twitter.com/Francis_Cade/status/1247074170648891392?s=19

It doesn't matter how little or how close to home you ride. The princess murdering pap scum will get you anyway.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #103 on: 14 April, 2020, 10:33:13 pm »

ZigZag was closed tonight

I’d understood that it was going to be closed for the Easter weekend, so I was a little surprised by those photos. Was it in fact open?

rob

« Reply #104 on: 15 April, 2020, 09:59:40 am »

ZigZag was closed tonight

I’d understood that it was going to be closed for the Easter weekend, so I was a little surprised by those photos. Was it in fact open?

It was definitely closed Easter weekend.   I went up there the weekend before and there were maybe 10 riders on the climb and quite a few sat enjoying the view at the top.   I suspect the photos are older than that.

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #105 on: 15 April, 2020, 05:36:54 pm »
The county council closed it to recreational traffic on Good Friday for 21 days because of the risk to the population due to the Coronavirus. Deliveries and residents are still allowed through. For those riders wishing to maintain fitness, there are fortunately plenty of other hill nearby, most of which are harder.  It does appear that more cyclists have been using the Zig Zag recently, quite possibly because they are currently furloughed from work

Clearly, this will last throughout this month and it may well be extended in May, depending on how the pandemic progresses.
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

bludger

« Reply #106 on: 18 April, 2020, 10:56:59 pm »
Think I'll head that way tomorrow - fixed! ;D

Ban cars.

rob

« Reply #107 on: 19 April, 2020, 10:13:38 am »
Think I'll head that way tomorrow - fixed! ;D

I got as far as the roundabout at the bottom yesterday before retracing home.  There were noticeably less cyclists in the area but it was also cloudy and cooler than it has been.

bludger

« Reply #108 on: 20 April, 2020, 04:14:33 pm »
I didn't get round to doing it but will give it a go on Friday (half day for me). Should be like the Mary Celeste. Unless I see some drivists making "essential journeys."

I did some regents loops today to see if the front brake was right - not quite there, a few more bleed cycles should do it.

Ban cars.

« Reply #109 on: 20 April, 2020, 05:05:02 pm »
That is my understanding. Yours may be different. I am off for a swim now.
How many lengths are you allowed?  :demon: :demon: :demon:

Getting back to the point, I'm not riding at all. It hardly seems worth it for a short time, so I've gone back to walking (which I enjoy) - I've a loop of a bit over 4 miles that I can do in about an hour - and an exercise bike.

S2L

« Reply #110 on: 20 April, 2020, 06:20:04 pm »
That is my understanding. Yours may be different. I am off for a swim now.
How many lengths are you allowed?  :demon: :demon: :demon:

Getting back to the point, I'm not riding at all. It hardly seems worth it for a short time, so I've gone back to walking (which I enjoy) - I've a loop of a bit over 4 miles that I can do in about an hour - and an exercise bike.

Are you a fan of Gove or you have a self imposed 1 hour time limit on exercise?

« Reply #111 on: 20 April, 2020, 07:34:52 pm »
Errr, dunno. I'm trying to balance lots of things, including rules, recommendations, my available time and the views of others closer to me than (sorry) even the most respected members here. But available time is quite important.

S2L

« Reply #112 on: 21 April, 2020, 06:15:50 am »
Errr, dunno. I'm trying to balance lots of things, including rules, recommendations, my available time and the views of others closer to me than (sorry) even the most respected members here. But available time is quite important.

I try to balance too, but I make sure the time I spend out is worth it

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #113 on: 25 April, 2020, 09:27:45 am »
Hopefully none of you live in Wales

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52416541
It is simpler than it looks.

S2L

« Reply #114 on: 25 April, 2020, 01:15:09 pm »
Hopefully none of you live in Wales

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52416541

Yeah, I've seen it... what is a reasonable walking distance... is 6 miles (2 hour walk) OK? If so, Pi tells me that it is possible to do a single loop of up to 37.6 miles, provided roads are nicely distributed, which is obviously not the case in Wales... should be possible to do a couple of 15-20 mile loops in many cases

Phixie

« Reply #115 on: 10 May, 2020, 06:33:38 pm »
When I passed the bottom of the Zig Zag up Box Hill yesterday I checked the closure details.  The council has extended the closure for all non-residential traffic for six months from 1st May.  So it's now out for the rest of the season (and then some.)   ;-(

Regards.
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

Chris S

« Reply #116 on: 10 May, 2020, 06:49:57 pm »
There's a close approximation of Box Hill on Zwift. Get a fixed on a turbo, and give it a go!  :thumbsup:

S2L

« Reply #117 on: 10 May, 2020, 06:56:23 pm »
When I passed the bottom of the Zig Zag up Box Hill yesterday I checked the closure details.  The council has extended the closure for all non-residential traffic for six months from 1st May.  So it's now out for the rest of the season (and then some.)   ;-(

Regards.

Why 6 months? Tw@ts

bludger

« Reply #118 on: 10 May, 2020, 06:57:06 pm »

Regards.
I rode out there today with an aim to ride up it fixed, and then found the signage....

As I was turning to head on some Fuckwit went and just blew past the sign.  :facepalm:

Ban cars.

Davef

« Reply #119 on: 10 May, 2020, 07:35:36 pm »

Regards.
I rode out there today with an aim to ride up it fixed, and then found the signage....

As I was turning to head on some Fuckwit went and just blew past the sign.  :facepalm:
There is of course a (small) possibility they lived there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #120 on: 10 May, 2020, 07:58:59 pm »
The change in exercise rules means I might actually start to go out riding now. The problem is a lack of time as I've got my (mostly) full time job, my wife's part time job, and homeschooling a Y5 between us.

(As I can easily work from home, and did 50% of the time before the lockdown, it looks like I'll be working from home all the time for the foreseeable.)

Part of me also wants to do zero cycling and then see just how much I fall (and how quickly I can pick back up) once the local gym (and access to a Wattbike and spinning classes) opens again.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #121 on: 10 May, 2020, 10:52:22 pm »
I'm going out non-stop every few days.  The longest ride to date is 76k.  Between times we're walking up to 17k a time.  Oddly enough, we're spending more time out walking than I am out cycling, but it is rural here and we see just a few folk on our excursions.

« Reply #122 on: 11 May, 2020, 04:31:09 am »

Regards.

Is the closure weekends only, or weekdays too?
Eddington Number = 132

Phixie

« Reply #123 on: 11 May, 2020, 02:16:40 pm »
They specify the distances fairly precisely but make no mention of any time exclusions, so it looks like 24/7/185 (for just six months)  With Boris' latest ideas, they could no doubt rescind it, but are unlikely to publicise that - they'll just remove the signs and cones blocking the carriageway.

Regards.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #124 on: 12 May, 2020, 08:17:43 am »
A lot less than usual.  Am on about 780 miles so far this year, whereas normally by mid May I would be on about 2000.  I have, on the other hand, rowed almost 500,000 metres on my indoor rower, whereas normally by mid May I would have rowed 50,000.  So cycling is at 35% of normal and rowing is at 1000% of normal.  No doubt the statistically challenged would now claim that I have been doing much more exercise under lockdown than normal.   ;D ;D :facepalm:

I have, however, with reference to not travelling too far from home, carrying on social distancing, but being allowed to exercise as much as you like (if that was what Sunday did actually say?), used Ride with GPS to prove that I can ride 300km in a continuous loop without intersections or crossings around the borough of Basingstoke and Deane staying pretty much on rural roads.  Another of those great ideas that will probably never be ridden but was fun composing.   O:-)
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)