Author Topic: Flesh wound , how long to mend?  (Read 1994 times)

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
Flesh wound , how long to mend?
« on: 02 September, 2009, 11:32:03 am »
Got a puncture wound to the side of my knee descending the red route at Kielder thankfully no tendons or bones etc were damaged. I had an x ray and went under while they made sure nothing else was in the wound.

So how roughly long should I expect to be off ? I forgot to ask the surgeon :-\

nicknack

• Hornblower
Re: Flesh wound , how long to mend?
« Reply #1 on: 02 September, 2009, 12:03:48 pm »
If my flesh wounds are anything to go by, it rather depends on your age. Mine take a lot longer to heal than when I was a nipper. Nutty probably has the definitive answer.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

keeks

« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2009, 04:09:57 pm »
Four weeks now still aches , riding isn't so bad but I have got to take it easier and let it mend but HOW LONG WILL THIS LAST GRRRRRRR  >:(

« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2009, 04:31:30 pm »
If my flesh wounds are anything to go by, it rather depends on your age. Mine take a lot longer to heal than when I was a nipper. Nutty probably has the definitive answer.

<Looks at knee, decides not to re-post photo>

Now that I'm on antibiotics the wound appears to be healing much much faster than before.

I can't give a definitive answer though.  It depends both on what you term "healed", and how deep/bad the wound is.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2009, 06:19:51 pm »
I don't think it's 'just a flesh wound' if the surgeon has opened the knee joint (and maybe washed it out) under anaesthetic.
I think it might take around 6 weeks to recover from having a joint fettled.

keeks

« Reply #5 on: 25 September, 2009, 01:15:49 pm »
Cheers Helly Medic , I did hope you would you would reply at some stage but didn't want to bother you with a messge .

This is what they did 

" Exploration  and debridement of laceration left knee( no communication with the joint) "

I took that to mean washing it out  ???

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 25 September, 2009, 03:25:52 pm »
Cheers Helly Medic , I did hope you would you would reply at some stage but didn't want to bother you with a messge .

This is what they did 

" Exploration  and debridement of laceration left knee( no communication with the joint) "

I took that to mean washing it out  ???

It  would appear that the wound did not enter the joint then and is 'just a flesh wound'.
These things do take a while and are slower on the 'outside' of a joint (front of the knee, back of the hand) than on the 'inside'.

I have never personally had any surgical wound and can't really comment on how these things behave as the nature of doctors is to see these wounds when they're fresh and then only fleetingly afterwards, only getting concerned if there are signs of infection or other complications.

I think you'll just have to wait, or see your GP if another fortnight passes without improvement.

« Reply #7 on: 02 October, 2009, 10:37:58 am »
Varies hugely, person to person and is also affected by age.

I heal fast. 2" cut when I was 20? gone in 3 days. It would take 2 weeks now.

So if  you are under 30, I'd say 2 weeks for the wound to close up, possibly several months for associated aches to go.

Tendon damage sometimes aches for the rest of your life.
<i>Marmite slave</i>