Author Topic: Anyone want a pair of mogs?  (Read 3141 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Anyone want a pair of mogs?
« on: 08 October, 2012, 09:23:13 pm »
12ish years old, disgustingly healthy (so I could be lumbered with 'em for ages), one female (tortie) and one male (black).  The Tortie was clearly dropped on her head a lot as a kitten - she is spectacularly stupid, can't even work a cat flap.  But cute and fluffy and engaging and low maintenance.  Once famously caught her sitting bolt upright and sliding backwards along the laminate flooring, purring like a tank if looking a little perplexed, as a toddler dragged her by the tail across the room.  Too dim to object.  Has, once, scratched a small child, but only when said child had grabbed both sets of whiskers with both hands and pulled with all his weight, so not unreasonable.  The black one is a lot more needy and attention seeking and nervous.  But smarter, and more spontaneously affectionate.  Both snipped and chipped - in my ex's name.

Fed up of living with constant low level allergy stuff, and I am getting more and more allergic to 'em as time goes on.  I haven't really sat on the sofa for years, because if I do the blinking cats come and sit on me.  Having discussed them with the ex, he has no intention of taking them at any point.

Any takers?

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
Re: Anyone want a pair of mogs?
« Reply #1 on: 08 October, 2012, 09:29:54 pm »
Just asked my 13 yr old tortie (who can manage a catflap but not to avoid walking on keyboards) if she wanted a sister but she just lifted a leg and started licking her arse so I  guess that's a "No" - sorry.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #2 on: 08 October, 2012, 09:30:36 pm »
Much meat on 'em?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 08 October, 2012, 09:32:07 pm »
Ba'al and Belphagor would probably eat them.  Sorry.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

CrinklyLion

« Reply #4 on: 08 October, 2012, 09:35:01 pm »

Nah - nae good for eating.  He's skinny, and she's all fluff!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 08 October, 2012, 09:37:34 pm »
I suspect that the introduction to Morphy would be too traumatic to all concerned.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 08 October, 2012, 09:39:20 pm »
We'd love to, but we're not grown up enough for cats of our own.  :(

(And I think TimO's got enough cats for now.)

« Reply #7 on: 08 October, 2012, 09:41:31 pm »
Doesn't look like there are any other offers, Crinkles. Waste not want not

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #8 on: 08 October, 2012, 09:46:16 pm »
Any idea how they handle roads?

(Our back garden and the adjoining spaces should be safe to play, but it would be hard to stop any feline additions to the household going round the front...)
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #9 on: 08 October, 2012, 10:03:17 pm »
Here they wander wherever they like - the front street and the streets behind us are quiet, and she goes wandering off to Arch's spot, St Nick's fields, to hunt.  Less than she used to, mind.  We used to get mouse livers/heads left in the yard all the time but that hasn't happened for a couple of years now.  It is about a minute walk to Lawrence Street which is pretty busy and they've survived that OK.  He sometimes tries to walk to school with us but usually gives up and turns round at the corner when the traffic starts up.

They are both completely out of date with their jabs.  If there is anyone who wants 'em, I'd be perfectly happy to contribute financially to getting them up to date though.  I reckon my deadline for getting rid is probably Easter.  We have a week's holiday planned then.  I have a lovely neighbour on each side who will both look after them, really well, if we go away.  That works fine for a night or two, but when went away for a week the black one had a whole abandonment anxiety reaction, and expressed his objection by pissing in the living room.  I can tolerate the sneezing/streaming eyes/itchy skin reactions 'til then!

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #10 on: 08 October, 2012, 11:02:57 pm »
Definitely tempted although still a little nervous about how they'll handle the road here.  Will discuss with Emily!

« Reply #11 on: 09 October, 2012, 10:53:47 pm »
mouse livers

Now, that would be a very small portion of pate....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #12 on: 20 October, 2012, 07:44:14 pm »
If the mogs are still looking for a new home, Emily and I are definitely interested.

Depending on how much of a hurry you're in, it might be better to leave things 'til after Christmas now -- there are a few things we'd like to do to the house before adding mogs!

Do they have names, by the way?

CrinklyLion

« Reply #13 on: 20 October, 2012, 08:50:40 pm »
Excellent!  As I say, I'm not in a massive rush.  If you're northwards at some point and want to come and meet 'em before you make a decision you'd be more than welcome too. 

The black one is Willow (after Willow from Buffy, but the cat is a boy) and the Tortie is Mogwai (after the cute critter in Gremlins because as a kitten with oversized ears there was a marked resemblance, rather than the band).

She is currently winding round my ankles and saying miaow.  This probably means I need to go and remind her where her food dish is!  Did I mention that she's a bit dim :D

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #14 on: 20 October, 2012, 10:20:45 pm »
The way this place is going, we should have a cat-swapping board in the Classifieds section.  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #15 on: 21 October, 2012, 10:06:00 pm »

SmallestCub not included.

We had a lengthy conversation today, m'boys and me, about kitteh rehoming.  They would prefer not to, but agreed that it is a bit silly to have cats if they make me poorly and that it would be good if we could find them a new home with Kind People.  They reserved the right to send kitteh treats by post in the event of successful adoption occurring out of town.  And thought that the mogs would probably like being part of a tandem-owning household.  Clearly ownership of bikes with extra chains (like those with chains of unusual length) classify one as The Right Sort Of Person in their eyes.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #16 on: 22 October, 2012, 10:31:39 am »
If it's any reassurance, the timing chain on our tandem is about 1.5 standard chains (which reminds me, it's time I pinned a new one together...).  In total, it's not far off a recumbent in chain-content!

« Reply #17 on: 22 October, 2012, 12:13:52 pm »
If it's any reassurance, the timing chain on our tandem is about 1.5 standard chains (which reminds me, it's time I pinned a new one together...).  In total, it's not far off a recumbent in chain-content!

You think the old one would make a good cat toy?  ;D

« Reply #18 on: 31 October, 2012, 11:51:51 am »
Well, Kai does end up with black marks on his back, from wandering under bicycles chains from time to time.  It's likely Zev does this occasionally as well, but since her back is entirely black, it's hard to say!

Talisker once managed to get a lot more than a slight rub against chains, and required his one and only bath.  That resulted in him looking like a drowned rat for almost a week until his natural oils all fully returned, and gained me the only two scratches I ever had from him.

As Kim said upthread, I've reached my limit of cats, so it's good that dasmoth and Emily seem keen.  I's not that I'm unenthusiastic about an entire menagerie, but transportation, cattery fees and insurance does cause an eventual limit.
Actually, it is rocket science.