Author Topic: Routing  (Read 1642 times)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
Routing
« on: 10 January, 2010, 11:35:50 pm »
 It seems that some German guy has managed to trick Garmin GPS in doing some good routing. It is Mountain bike specific though. Has anybody tried it?

Autorouting «  Openmtbmap.org – Mountainbike / Bicycle/ Hiking Maps based on Openstreetmap
Chief cat entertainer.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Routing
« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2010, 07:32:58 am »
That's sneaky!  He's taken "avoid toll roads" and reused it to mean "avoid rough stuff".  Diabolical cunning!

There is a general preference to route you over trails and cycleways. Streets have lower prioty. However note that the GPS will not take huge detours on trails to avoid a primary or secondary highway – even though they have the lowest priority. Autorouting with my maps is unusable with a motorcar. Use another Openstreetmap implementation instead if you intend to use you car.

Nicely done. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2010, 09:25:39 pm »
Interesting. I had not realised that the routing was somehow a property of the maps themselves rather than the software that "reads" them.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2010, 09:51:40 pm »
There are a bunch of standard highway types, and they have various routing scores (a fast road scores better than a slow road, for example).  Junctions have a similar set of scores.

The software calculates routes to get the best score given its conditions (eg: yes to cycleways, no to footpaths); the highway types are manipulable in OSM because you can make any data tag mean anything in Garmin format.

It's witchcraft!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.