Author Topic: Rear brake cable housing  (Read 2510 times)

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
Rear brake cable housing
« on: 14 July, 2010, 02:09:49 am »
I'm stuck restoring a old Giant steel road frame from 1991. The rear brake cable runs into and out of the top tube, I think this cable has been in the top tube since the day the bike was built as I tried pulling the cable out it has snapped at both ends and remains in the top tube.
Any ideas how this will come out and is there cable stops in there for the outer brake cable casing so only the wire runs into the tube ?
I think the only option now is gaffer tape a rear brake cable to the top tube ?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Rear brake cable housing
« Reply #1 on: 14 July, 2010, 08:25:57 am »
No idea how to get the old one out, short of lots and lots of patience and some very fine nosed pliers/forceps.

These might be useful instead of gaffer tape/tiewraps tho....

Suntour Band On Cable Tunnel & Cable Stop
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2 on: 14 July, 2010, 08:47:54 am »
A few years ago we put together a 'get around bike' based on a Shogun road frame from the early 90's. We also had a later model Shogun frame which had a small slot at each end of the top tube and plastic caps which fitted into the slots with holes for the brake cable outer to run through. The older frame had an intergrated tube allowing the cable case to run through the top tube in one piece. I was impressed considering Shogun's never had a good name etc.
As suggested plenty of patience is key, you could try a thin penetrating oil wd40 or silicon spray then leave to soak.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #3 on: 14 July, 2010, 09:52:17 am »
Recently had this feature on an old Raleigh frame I built up fixed for my daughter- managed to pull through with a very long upholsterer's needle jabbed by trial and error into the old cable housing, which was also stuck inside.  I used cable housing for the whole new cable- that's what my old uncle told me I should do and he is a cycling oracle.  There were no cable stops on the top tube, so I guess the wire would wear on the tube edge at the point it entered the top tube otherwise.
My daughter said "Cool beans," when she saw it.  I believe that means she liked it.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2010, 06:45:39 am »
Thanks. I'm going to try a wire coat hanger method :-\