Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Pub / Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Last post by T42 on Today at 04:01:40 pm »
Noticed yesterday that at some point recently the retaining ring round the nozzle of the Road Morph had morphed off into the scenery.  Action prompt and immediate: nipped indoors and ordered a rebuild kit.

20 minutes ago I remembered that last year, when the pump needed a new washer, I had ordered a rebuild kit and only used the washer so the rest of it should still be in the workshop.

It was. Pump has its ring again and there's a complete rebuild kit on the way. Oh well, they're cheap.
Arts and Entertainment / Re: Great cover versions
« Last post by Steph on Today at 03:53:59 pm »
https://youtu.be/4nTo8rjo-lM?si=DnRFm1UlQlD6nL4-

Weezer's cover of "Paranoid Android" from a few years ago.  Oh, the lead guitarist's not really as good as Jonny, say Radiohead fans.  You do need to take into account that he's normally the drummer!

It is superb!

As an older person, I immediately thought of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=hTXOW_jJdKE&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com%2F&embeds_referring_origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com&source_ve_path=Mjg2NjY&feature=emb_logo
Freewheeling / Re: Pilgrimage Symposium, 17/Apr/24, London
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 03:51:19 pm »
I wonder when that was taken, it's still quite low rise, but you might see more concrete these days.

If you could find a high spot you could have a similar view of Cambridge, just don't get Addenbrookes or Girton in the picture
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by quixoticgeek on Today at 03:50:37 pm »
Hello Blodwyn.
Here's my spec. I'm a Man. 5'9". 60 years old about 14 1/2 Stone. I have a full Car and Motorcycle License. I want to build a certain level of fitness so that I'm not the fat git at the back holding everyone up.
I thought the average speed for Audax was 15 Kmh Which is what I gleaned from reading posts on here. but someone just said it's 25 Kmh.

If I may, I'll contact You and Kim directly when I have ridden a bit further and faster.

To clarify. Average speed is 15kph. But that includes stops. So if you cycle at a constant 15kph, you won't have time to stop for food, or to pee. So generally you want to be a bit quicker. I'm happy if I average 20kph when moving.

As mentioned up thread, this gives me 10 hours to ride, and 3.5 hours for eating, admiring the view, and any mechanicals. I do know people who ride a lot faster. On the last 200km BRM I organised one rider arrived on the dot of 0645. Giving a 30kph average including stops. Which is bloomin fast. The final rider came in at about 13 hours.

Don't worry about 25kph. You may get there, but it's not necessarily, and setting it as target may be disheartening.

An Audax is in theory a solo event. Being slow isn't a problem, you don't hold anyone up. People might disappear up the road, but you're not holding anyone up.

No good organiser is going to have any problem with you arriving at 13:29, as long as you've not taken the piss by sitting in the pub round the corner having a beer or 3. An organiser knows the time limit on the ride, and signs up to be there for the whole time.

The biggest sin in Audax is to abandon the ride without telling the organiser. Being slow is entirely ok. You don't hold anyone up. Ride your own ride. Tho you might do a lot of riding alone. (I've done almost all my Audax rides completely solo as everyone is quicker than me).

So. Don't worry too much about speed. 25kph is unobtainably optimistic for a new audaxer anyway.

Just ride. And that invite for the Amsterdam Audax events is a genuine invite.

J
Online quizzes / Re: Squaredle
« Last post by Pingu on Today at 03:49:34 pm »
I played https://squaredle.com 04/27:
*24/24 words
🎯 Perfect accuracy
🔥 Solve streak: 30
Use an SD -> CF card adapter.   Much cheaper solution.  That's what I use in my Canon 1DMk2 and 5D SR.
Rides and Touring / Re: Have you been out today?
« Last post by T42 on Today at 03:31:19 pm »
50k on the newly-motorized Domane. Loaded for a day ride, but too knackered from 2 days' intensive work on bike transferring motor from eBrute. Bike nae bad, but noticeably less comfy than the eBrute.  Like the eBrute, it needs a shorter stem.  Legs not recovered from doing only 50k rides since mid-March; need to do a decent distance to wake them up.  Getting old is crap. Doesn't do your mood any good, either.
Broke my nearly 11 years Audax fast by doing the 50 with MrsH - her first ever. Chose this one as it's quite local, and an easy way in to showing her the ropes before doing anything longer. The 58k was by a tiny margin her longest ride so far.

Good day out, the weather held off, the roads were good to ride on (some in a gravely version of good), and the curry at the end was excellent. Got to see Richard Phipps too, for the first time well over a decade (spent ages thinking "I'm sure I know him..."). Now to choose a 100 to do.
OT Knowledge / Re: Soil pipe joint
« Last post by rogerzilla on Today at 03:23:52 pm »
The new pipe is chamfered - it's a white one from Wickes with a chamfer on one end and a ring seal socket on the other to take the swan neck 90 deg Multikwik adaptor from the pan.  It should be just the right length, either by luck or by housebuilder's design.
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by Delidroid on Today at 03:23:27 pm »
To the OP.  Might I ask some personal questions about you, ie M/F, height , approx weight , and general fitness level, and personal comfort / experience around cars on the road/ road riding in general.  I hope not to appear rude, but it will give the panel a better understanding of your needs. ie, if you are a 4’10” and extremely overweight female, who is terrified of traffic, then there is much work to do before  you consider n+1, even then, I believe female specific bikes are shorter, ( but may be wrong), so finding a suitable bike will be the quest. However if you are avg height/ build, and comfortable in traffic, then less of a problem. As I said, I am NOT being rude, or sexist, or anything other than helpful.

Hello Blodwyn.
Here's my spec. I'm a Man. 5'9". 60 years old about 14 1/2 Stone. I have a full Car and Motorcycle License. I want to build a certain level of fitness so that I'm not the fat git at the back holding everyone up.
I thought the average speed for Audax was 15 Kmh Which is what I gleaned from reading posts on here. but someone just said it's 25 Kmh.

If I may, I'll contact You and Kim directly when I have ridden a bit further and faster.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10