Author Topic: A broken cyclist  (Read 9383 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: A broken cyclist
« Reply #25 on: 03 March, 2017, 06:20:23 pm »
I love the use of the attachment from shoe-lace to mid-shin level. Can't make out the material - is it a rubber band or a silk scarf? I think a YACF buff might also do the trick!

Looks like one of those rubber sheets that physioterrorists torment you with.  Colour denotes stretchiness.
I reckon The Kim is right (I haz a green one somewhere).  Surely rather than replacing it with a YACF buff, the Yellowed Thong of Ambition could be substituted.

(GWS closetleftie, that doesn't look a whole lot of fun).
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #26 on: 03 March, 2017, 07:05:37 pm »

I love the use of the attachment from shoe-lace to mid-shin level. Can't make out the material - is it a rubber band or a silk scarf? I think a YACF buff might also do the trick!

Looks like one of those rubber sheets that physioterrorists torment you with.  Colour denotes stretchiness.
.....the Yellowed Thong of Ambition could be substituted.

(GWS closetleftie.....

I won't GWS if I let that thin anywhere near exposed metalwork, I don't think. Think of the infection risk....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

« Reply #27 on: 05 March, 2017, 09:47:35 am »
217W is seriously impressive.

It's unbelievable - we have about the same FTP!

I wish you had Zwift so we could ride together - you could give me a tow!
On the basis that "if it seems too good to be true" I suspect the numbers weren't correct. It certainly felt a hard effort and I can see progress, which is all that matters.

They probably are correct, but the majority[1] of cycling is governed by W/kg, not pure power output. From what I remember DrM weighs approximately 2/3 of you, so the same power output will give him a 50% advantage in W/kg terms.

Comparing power values without taking into account weight is like trying to work out who is over/under weight by looking at weight alone and completely ignoring their height.

(1. The exception is TT-ing which is more concerned with W/CdA but there's still some correlation between weight and CdA...)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #28 on: 05 March, 2017, 10:21:01 am »
I'm 70kg, and my FTP is 235wish if you go by blood lactate, 291w if you believe the 20m test x.95 method. No idea why the discrepancy - possibly meds related - a load of the drugs I'm on can result in lactate acidosis - I'm meant to be flagging up to my consultant that I've got a resting lactate above 4mmol in the last two tests I've done.

« Reply #29 on: 05 March, 2017, 08:08:35 pm »
I'm 70kg, and my FTP is 235wish if you go by blood lactate, 291w if you believe the 20m test x.95 method. No idea why the discrepancy - possibly meds related - a load of the drugs I'm on can result in lactate acidosis - I'm meant to be flagging up to my consultant that I've got a resting lactate above 4mmol in the last two tests I've done.
Substantially higher than mine then!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30 on: 05 March, 2017, 08:13:50 pm »
Substantially higher than mine then!

I am no expert on lactate though maybe cl can enlighten me. Isn't the normal around 1mmol?

« Reply #31 on: 11 March, 2017, 07:13:54 pm »
Been a while, so here is today's session. Have to admit just one a week at the moment. Having said that, today's turbo session came on the back of a 5km walk in one go, without crutches. Which I hadn't done before. So there's progress I think.

200W average over 30 minutes is lower than before, but it was a different workout with more intervals. Peak power 491W, albeit only for a few seconds. Didn't fall apart at the end, although it's quite clear that what felt "easy" became progressively less intense as the intervals mounted.....

« Reply #32 on: 11 March, 2017, 07:15:48 pm »
Beer on the sofa time, I think.

« Reply #33 on: 11 March, 2017, 08:38:58 pm »
Been a while, so here is today's session. Have to admit just one a week at the moment. Having said that, today's turbo session came on the back of a 5km walk in one go, without crutches. Which I hadn't done before. So there's progress I think.

200W average over 30 minutes is lower than before, but it was a different workout with more intervals. Peak power 491W, albeit only for a few seconds. Didn't fall apart at the end, although it's quite clear that what felt "easy" became progressively less intense as the intervals mounted.....

That's really something given the contraption on your leg. And how to manage an average cadence of 128? A proper spinner if ever.

Chapeau

Mike

« Reply #34 on: 11 March, 2017, 10:17:47 pm »

That's really something given the contraption on your leg. And how to manage an average cadence of 128? A proper spinner if ever.

Chapeau

Mike
No, average numbers are the small ones on the left of the graph (dotted line indicates average). The larger numbers are time point values and i think 128 was a blip. The cadence numbers are the least reliable since they can't be measured directly from a sensor "attached" to the back wheel. 79rpm average for the session - very much not a spinner. ....

« Reply #35 on: 14 March, 2017, 02:10:31 pm »
Not a bike session, but at least it's on Strava so it "should count"..... 

Normal walking pace for what I'd consider a normal distance. Planning a short turbo session later.

« Reply #36 on: 14 March, 2017, 02:24:23 pm »
I remember seeing Drew Buck wearing one of those things a few years back.  He was on the back of a tandem.

« Reply #37 on: 14 March, 2017, 02:29:54 pm »
I remember seeing Drew Buck wearing one of those things a few years back.  He was on the back of a tandem.
I've been told "NO CYCLING" in no uncertain terms..... surgeon says the issue is even a minor fall would break the leg. When the frame comes off and they're happy with healing, they'll let me go back to it.

Also, the thought of hitting my cage against the bottom bracket while standing on the pedals up a hill.....doesn't bear thinking about really.

« Reply #38 on: 14 March, 2017, 02:40:47 pm »
I should have added, that it was not a recommendation.

« Reply #39 on: 14 March, 2017, 06:10:00 pm »
There's a chap on an Ilizarov forum who did a LEJoG with his on......

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #40 on: 14 March, 2017, 06:15:55 pm »
There's a chap on an Ilizarov forum who did a LEJoG with his on......

Which does not make this good
or clever...

« Reply #41 on: 30 March, 2017, 08:51:46 am »
Well, update in order I think. Have a clinic appointment 20 April and if the X-ray looks good, the frame will be loosened. Basically they loosen the nuts so the whole assembly can telescope but can't bend. That way your new bone takes the weight but is still braced.

Then I will walk around with loose nuts (fnar) for a couple of weeks. Hopefully then followed by this thing being removed.... Really could do with this whole experience being over, TBH.

BUT: this is a cycling forum, you say. So to the cycling. Still on the turbo couple of times a week:

Yesterday was 40 minutes intervals, average around 220W. So some progress evident, I think.

« Reply #42 on: 30 March, 2017, 09:00:29 am »
Should have added that the distance covered in the 40 minutes was 17.6km - coincidentally the same as my commuting route!

1.5% slope on the trainer the whole way, which to my mind gives the same "feel" as riding on a level road. I suppose that's because a stationary trainer only gives rolling resistance and no air resistance? What do the experienced trainer-users OTP think?

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #43 on: 30 March, 2017, 09:57:52 am »
Delighted to hear there's an end in sight to the frame - really interesting to see how they loosen before removal, that makes a lot of sense.

simonp

« Reply #44 on: 30 March, 2017, 12:56:21 pm »
Should have added that the distance covered in the 40 minutes was 17.6km - coincidentally the same as my commuting route!

1.5% slope on the trainer the whole way, which to my mind gives the same "feel" as riding on a level road. I suppose that's because a stationary trainer only gives rolling resistance and no air resistance? What do the experienced trainer-users OTP think?

The trainer should simulate wind + slope + rolling resistance. Their wind resistance assumption will not be the same as your on-road wind resistance, however.

Regarding feel, in erg mode you don't simulate any of this but you can still change the feel by switching gear. For a feel similar to riding at speed on a flat road, select a higher gear. The flywheel (assuming you have one - some trainers have purely electronic resistance) will take longer to spin down and you will have a smoother pedal stroke like on an outdoor ride. At the opposite extreme, select a low gear and you will experience a climbing like feel where the pedal stroke is much less smooth.

« Reply #45 on: 30 March, 2017, 02:35:15 pm »
Thanks Simon - that sounds about right. My trainer is electronic resistance only and certainly seems to have better feel in a higher gear/lower resistance mode. I think because I'm (ahem) hefty, pedal stroke feels smooth on the road as my momentum is likewise high....

« Reply #46 on: 01 April, 2017, 11:22:38 am »
I've been attempting to correlate the power needed on a trainer to that on a ride, and my conclusion is that they are actually remarkably similar, but the way you I typically use power on the road is completely different, especially commuting.

The main difference is that on the road I find myself adapting power all the time to the conditions, rarely just trying to "lay power down", cadence looks after itself. On the trainer I am trying to maintain output and cadence all the time (lose cadence on an erg trainer at your peril). When I try to estimate output based around heart rate and hold it on the road on a steady gradient (I don't have a power meter) it feels similar overall. And, wot simonp says.

Glad to hear you're on the mend.