Author Topic: gloves and tights and things  (Read 6307 times)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
Re: gloves and tights and things
« Reply #25 on: 30 October, 2008, 12:46:55 pm »
I have a new pair of Roeckl gore windstopper gloves. I do not know if they are warm or not because I have not been out on a really cold day yet.  They seem OK so far. It was just above freezing when I went to work yesterday

What I really like about Roeckl is that they size them properly.  So I can buy a 7.5 rather than having to guess if I want an S or an M. On one ocassion I needed an L which is silly.  To find your glove size wrap a cloth measuring tape around your hand below the four fingers at the widest point (excluding the thumb).  That is your glove size in inches.

I mostly use Lusso bib longs (super roubaix) without padding over normal cycling shorts. I found tights that I used to use needed to be pulled up constantly when wet.

« Reply #26 on: 30 October, 2008, 09:02:16 pm »
Best warm gloves I've found are Thinsulate gloves from the local outdoor shop. Mine are branded Peter Storm at around £10, but AIUI there are cheaper unbranded varieties. I used to reckon they were good to zero celsius, though these days that's a bit optimistic. They work well with a fairly loose fit, which allows liner gloves if it's a few degrees colder.

Generally, I don't find that cycle-specific gloves work well for me, apart from (fingerless) mitts.

I have had bad experience with cheap skiing gloves. They are as useless for cycling as for skiing. Doubtless there are good cheap ones around, though. Notwithstanding, my best cold weather gloves (OK to -7 Celsius, which is the worst we've had in Brum in 14 years) are skiing gloves, bought in Austria after I left their predecessors on a bus.

andrew g

« Reply #27 on: 31 October, 2008, 02:45:32 pm »
For the properly cold weather (i.e. below about 3 degrees) then silk glove and sock liners can't be beaten.  Snow & Rock or other outdoor places do them for about £10 each (that's socks and gloves not per glove  :) ).  Wear under your normal gloves and keep nice and warm and if it warms up then you can take off the silk liners.

For tights the dhb from wiggle are excellent and superb value for money if you want them with a pad.  If you wear shorts underneath then the basic Santini ones are good value.

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #28 on: 31 October, 2008, 06:02:48 pm »
Now where can I get a pair of classic leather gloves like these?  ;)

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 03 November, 2008, 06:40:49 pm »
For the properly cold weather (i.e. below about 3 degrees) then silk glove and sock liners can't be beaten.  Snow & Rock or other outdoor places do them for about £10 each (that's socks and gloves not per glove  :) ).  Wear under your normal gloves and keep nice and warm and if it warms up then you can take off the silk liners.

My £10 silk liners are yummy, but they stick to any velcro in a 10m radius. If your journey is short, and you don't have to adjust any clothing on the way, fine - but if you need a pee-stop, or you have to add/subtract some layers on the ride, they're a nuisance. Also, they didn't seem to help much in cold rain.

This winter I'm trying some thin Altura full-fingered gloves as a base-layer / liner. They work as a cool-weather glove on their own, so I'm hoping they'll be useful for most of the winter. We'll see ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #30 on: 03 November, 2008, 08:37:58 pm »
I suffer from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud%27s_disease  so have a shelf in my wardrobe full of gloves for different conditions. When it's really cold <3 deg.C I have some mitts which are very windproof. When the temp. drops to zero or less I use some thin gloves under my mitts. The secret I have found is to put the inner gloves on 10 mins before you leave home. When I go to work in the morn I just get up, get dressed and go. I therefore do not put the heating on and the house is cold, this is why I have to put the gloves on first to warm up.

« Reply #31 on: 03 November, 2008, 08:45:16 pm »
I've found a similar thing with winter boots; nowadays I'll put them on when I get up and wear them around the house whilst I get ready to ride so my feet are warm when I start, rather than losing heat to cold boots. Similarly, I'll wear them whilst driving to the start of an Audax rather than changing on arrival.

I do wear MTB style boots that are comfortable (and safe) to walk/drive in.

« Reply #32 on: 03 November, 2008, 11:53:56 pm »

My £10 silk liners are yummy, but they stick to any velcro in a 10m radius. If your journey is short, and you don't have to adjust any clothing on the way, fine - but if you need a pee-stop, or you have to add/subtract some layers on the ride, they're a nuisance. Also, they didn't seem to help much in cold rain.

This winter I'm trying some thin Altura full-fingered gloves as a base-layer / liner. They work as a cool-weather glove on their own, so I'm hoping they'll be useful for most of the winter. We'll see ...
I haven't tried silk, but have not had problems with cheapo Meraklon/Merkalon liners. Spring/Autumn I use them under track mitts. P-stops are OK without removing gloves.

As a reference point, Sealskinz, which are still the best approximation to waterproof gloves that I've found, effectively prevent use of zips, Velcro, draw strings and all the other everyday contrivances that challenge a senior citizen with a weak bladder :-[.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #33 on: 04 November, 2008, 01:49:15 pm »
As a reference point, Sealskinz, which are still the best approximation to waterproof gloves that I've found, effectively prevent use of zips, Velcro, draw strings and all the other everyday contrivances that challenge a senior citizen with a weak bladder :-[.
My Sealskinz seem to predate most other people's. They have big cuffs with a very sturdy zip. They're quick to remove, thus allowing you to tackle your other fastenings. (IF you're not wearing liners.)

( Is anyone else visualising Rowan Atkinson's punk-at-the-urinal? )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles