Author Topic: Track bike specification (or rules)  (Read 3022 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Track bike specification (or rules)
« on: 30 October, 2008, 02:37:12 pm »
I've Googled around but can't find anything (yet ...) that gives the "rules" for the spec for bikes used on the track.  (British Cycling was the obvious)

Anyone have any ideas on a source please?

One specific question relates to front wheels - are Q/R axles allowed?  ... or must they be nutted?

Thanks

Rob

Re: Track bike specification (or rules)
« Reply #1 on: 30 October, 2008, 02:47:24 pm »
QR's were not allowed in my day and rules are bound to be more towards safety now. So, yes, you need track nuts.
Mike

« Reply #2 on: 30 October, 2008, 02:48:22 pm »
You can download the rulebook pdf here which gives all sorts of measurements and equipment specs for track, cross and road. A quick glance states "Cycles used for track racing shall not be fitted with freewheels, quick release wheels, wing nuts, brakes or similar accessories, except by permission of the Board or the Region concerned." Para 3.2.4.

robgul

« Reply #3 on: 30 October, 2008, 03:17:37 pm »
Ah - I knew there had to be an answer.

... and my assumption on QRs was correct - seems obvious!

Thanks

Rob

« Reply #4 on: 30 October, 2008, 04:09:28 pm »
You can get allen key skewers that should be OK though.

P S - Newport and Manchester have specific bike specifications for safe use on the steeper bankings.

robgul

« Reply #5 on: 30 October, 2008, 04:34:12 pm »
You can get allen key skewers that should be OK though.

P S - Newport and Manchester have specific bike specifications for safe use on the steeper bankings.

Were you watching me in my garage about half an hour ago ?  I was trying an Allen key skewer     Seems it should work OK.   :thumbsup:

... we went to Newport a couple of weeks ago and 2 guys had their own bikes ... nobody checked anything, they just got on the track and rode!   I'll check it out anyway as we have a few Manchester outings planned.

Thanks

Rob

« Reply #6 on: 30 October, 2008, 05:38:34 pm »
Don't know if they would bother checking all the time, but I guess you'd fell a bit of a numpty if you took a big gouge out of the boards with your pedals...

General onus is on safety really - Will it come loose, and in the event of a crash is there pokey shaped things?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 30 October, 2008, 05:53:09 pm »
The real no-nos are double-sided pedals like SPDs, QRs and (obviously) gears and brakes.  Tri-bars aren't allowed either, unless you're out on your own or pursuiting.

IME no-one checks BB height at Newport or Calshot, although they might moan if they think you're using the wrong gearing because it's slightly harder to do bunch exercises when one guy is on 48 x 16 and the rest are on 48 x 15.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #8 on: 30 October, 2008, 06:02:41 pm »

Bottom bracket height I think?
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #9 on: 30 October, 2008, 06:05:03 pm »
The real no-nos are double-sided pedals like SPDs...

Sure?  They weren't a problem when I was at Newport or when we were at Calshott.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #10 on: 30 October, 2008, 06:07:25 pm »

Sure?  They weren't a problem when I was at Newport or when we were at Calshott.

On most tracks they wouldn't want you to damage the wooden surface...
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

robgul

« Reply #11 on: 30 October, 2008, 06:08:58 pm »
It's only the front wheel that's the issue with the machine I have acquired - the rest of it is an "approved/compliant" track frame (with sticky-out bits) that's been used in a few competitive events at Newport & Manchester - I have fitted my Look Delta pedals.

The front wheel is a road wheel, but the Allen key skewer will get around the QR question (until I consider sourcing a nutted wheel) for the moment.

Rob

robgul

« Reply #12 on: 30 October, 2008, 06:10:38 pm »

Yeah, one of the guys at our Newport jaunt had SPDs (the MTB type!) - seemed wrong to me, but the coach didn't take any notice.

Rob

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #13 on: 30 October, 2008, 06:38:43 pm »
I took Time ATACs to both.  Fattersby wiping out Charlotte was more of a worry.  The spec might be more tightly enforced if you race competitively?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #14 on: 30 October, 2008, 07:18:42 pm »
Newport's own fleet is Look-equipped and you're not allowed to swap them to your own.

There's a tale of a rider I know who went to a taster/coaching session, using one of the track's bikes. She rode around for a couple of laps, failing to clip in and eventually crashing.

Yes, she did have SPD cleats on her shoes...

robgul

« Reply #15 on: 30 October, 2008, 08:02:55 pm »
Newport's own fleet is Look-equipped and you're not allowed to swap them to your own.

There's a tale of a rider I know who went to a taster/coaching session, using one of the track's bikes. She rode around for a couple of laps, failing to clip in and eventually crashing.

Yes, she did have SPD cleats on her shoes...

... you can if you ask very nicely and have your own spanner ... one of our group had Keos and changed them over  :thumbsup:

However, in principle you are correct.

Rob