Author Topic: Dental questions  (Read 26735 times)

Dental questions
« on: 06 December, 2013, 12:58:27 pm »
Anyone got advice on dental implants after having them fitted? Last month I developed an abscess in the tooth that carried my front bridge. The advice of both dentists in the practice I use was that the tooth had to come out and the quicker the better as it didn't respond to antibiotics. At the moment I have temporary dentures but hate them so I was thinking of an implant. My dentists seem reluctant to recommend this route saying I should stick with dentures but I would like something more permanent.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Dental Implants anyone have them?
« Reply #1 on: 06 December, 2013, 01:05:04 pm »
My mum has them, loves them. She was in a lot of pain after the op though.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2013, 01:15:50 pm »
I nearly had them but changed my mind.

There was a really long story behind this also related to a failing bridge, but in the end I concluded that this was cosmetic surgery and carried risks I wasn't prepared to accept - the risks I was uncomfortable with related to the proximity to my sinuses.  And there was the price.  And the fact that this isn't the once and for all solution.  So I decided to stick with the bridge, even though I'd spent £100 getting the implant assessment done.

But I hated the temp dentures.  I knew they'd be okay in time, but I hated them.  In the end I was lucky, the bridge was repairable and I think is probably in better shape than the original.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

« Reply #3 on: 06 December, 2013, 03:23:02 pm »
Ask your dentist about dentures with metal plate that clip to the other teeth.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 06 December, 2013, 03:29:05 pm »
Ask your dentist about dentures with metal plate that clip to the other teeth.

Had an abscess 35 years ago that kept on coming back. I had a apisectomy and it left the tooth and bone weak. The tooth fell out about 5 years ago and I had the metal plat thingy, that kept on coming loose. The bone of the jaw is too damaged by the apisectomy to take an implant, so I just look hard instead. Or British.
It is simpler than it looks.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 06 December, 2013, 03:50:42 pm »
I've got an implant for an upper front tooth which needed a bone graft. Works great, no dramas. The temporary denture was horrible and I was glad to get rid of it.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2013, 04:02:19 pm »
A timely thread!  I have had several over the last 2 years.  They have been bloody expensive but trouble free…. until now.  One of the implant sites supporting a bridge has started to throb and I suspect (remembering past throbbing from failed posts) that something has gone wrong.

This particular implant is on the front upper and required a bone graft.  If it has indeed failed then a lot of repair work, a lengthy period with a plate (again) and no doubt further huge expense is ahead.  I'm hoping it will be covered by the practice's 1 year post-op warranty, but knowing shysters dentists I'm sure they will try and blame me for the failure  :hand:
The sound of one pannier flapping

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #7 on: 06 December, 2013, 04:38:50 pm »
I'm in the process of getting an implant. I possibly could have had a bridge, but was happy to shell out the considerable expensive to get a decent job done that will, hopefully, last for decades. I had the tooth removed about six weeks ago and the the gum packed with artificial bone. The surgery, once I'd had the injections, was pain free, but the next day was pretty bad. It took a few days for the pain to go away, but since then it's been fine. The temporary denture, which is purely cosmetic, is annoying. I try to wear it as little as possible, but have to wear it for work. Eating with it is possible, but I get more enjoyment from meals eating without the denture, which can be a problem in restaurants.  However, in the long run I believe it will all be worthwhile. Next stage will be the end of Feb.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #8 on: 06 December, 2013, 05:25:41 pm »
I don't know anything about implants, other than that my dentist in Burnley, who is really excellent, fits them. He has an MSc in 'implantology' and lots of very happy patients.

« Reply #9 on: 07 December, 2013, 07:25:15 pm »
I got two implants fitted about 5 years ago following a bike accident. The two implants carry 3 front teeth. The process was lengthy but worthwhile and because I lost the teeth in an accident covered by the NHS at the local dental hospital. No trouble with them since fitting although a fairly gory process.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #10 on: 07 December, 2013, 08:07:53 pm »
I'm also a 'nearly' - whilst I have a bridge at the front of my mouth (lost my front teeth after an impromptu flying lesson) I've also recently had two molars removed (upper left and right) as a result of abscesses and, to put it mildly, I find the gaps a bit annoying.

I'm lucky enough to have a very good dentist and we did discuss the possibility of having implants fitted where the two molars were (my existing bridgework is fine, so if it ain't broke etc.).

The obvious thing is the expense, particularly if you're going private - it isn't cheap (I was looking at north of £2k per tooth, although prices will vary). The second is that it isn't something that you get done immediately like a filling - according to my dentist treatment time is typically 3-6 months and there are various stages to the treatment, but then you probably know that already.

The dealbreaker for me, however, was the fact that I'm diabetic - going down the implant road would have required me to exert iron control over my blood sugars (above and beyond what I'd normally do) during the treatment phase and even then there was no guarantee that the implant would take - in the end it was decided that it wasn't worth it from both a financial and 'medical' point of view. Again, your circumstances will vary - I'm living with the gaps but at some point in the future I'll be adding to my bridgework collection (dentures were never discussed!)

Ultimately, of course, the choice is yours - discuss it with your dentist and, if you feel the need, get a second opinion.

I feel your pain with regards to dentures though - I had a plate before I had my bridgework done and I absolutely hated it (indeed, it was the main motivation behind shelling out for a 'proper' bridge)

« Reply #11 on: 07 December, 2013, 10:57:16 pm »
Implants avoid the need to cut down adjacent teeth for bridges, which is a good idea if the adjacent teeth are 'virgin' teeth. They also load the bone and help preserve its height and contour. Implants are not fit and forget items, especially when you have spent the £2K+ that they usually cost, it is imperative you look after your investment.
Many people however get on absolutely fine with dentures, many absolutely hate them. You pays your money.....
Find out what manufacturer of Implant your dentist is using, make sure it is a well recognised one (not a cheap copy or small manufacturer) and keep a record of who they are. Then if any remedial work is needed in the future and you have moved dentist you will be able to get the required replacement parts.
Just as a Halfords special will get you from A to B, paying more will get a better specc'd and engineered solution which will probably function better and last longer.

(A dentist WITHOUT a Pinerello!!)
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #12 on: 08 December, 2013, 08:18:41 am »
Bikepacker - on the way back from the wet tour about 3 years ago, I pulled out a crown which had replaced an incisor 35 years before, a very good job it must have been.  The dentist gave me the option of a denture, a bridge or an implant.  The implant looked like a couple of months of unpleasant dentists visits; the bridge looked like modifications to otherwise sound teeth just to support it; while the denture seemed the way to go being the minimal impact and I could take any other option later if I chose to.  Implant would have cost £2k+, bridge I do not recall, denture cost £350.

Like you I found the denture very hard to cope with for the first few months, not least because it affects speech, but as a tight git I persevered with the cheapest option.  After 6 months, next check up, I had decided that while it is not one of life's great experiences I can live with it.  I've now  had the denture 3 years and more, and I can appreciate that it is a good one because it is a very good fit and I can eat toothbreaker apples with confidence.  What I really do not like is that I have to take them out to remove food debris after every meal, this is because they are a small partial denture so food gets caught behind and between the denture and the teeth used to support it.

I would say stick with the denture for a few months.  Good luck.

« Reply #13 on: 08 December, 2013, 10:55:01 am »
My top front four teeth are implants.
The surgery was painful and not straightforward.
I am now extremely happy.
The original implants got infected and the front of my gum sloughed away - so that the implant-teeth are much bigger that my original teeth.
Most dentists would charge by the hour for this work, so two sets of implants plus the restorative work would probably have cost me approaching £10k - however my dentist had priced it up as a fixed price job, so he took the financial hit, not me. That is something to bear in mind, because implants ain't cheap!
(The history is that I had post crown fitted originally, that became infected, had an apisectomy (?) that left shrapnel in my gum, that got infected, so I lost the post crowns, and had implants as the only acceptable option)
No I can't recommend my dentist - he's been struck off.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 08 December, 2013, 11:06:39 am »
I am no Latin scholar but will advise that the apex (root tip) of a tooth is removed in an apicectomy.
I have not come to implants yet but suspect I could need want one within the next decade.

« Reply #15 on: 08 December, 2013, 12:10:29 pm »
(The history is that I had post crown fitted originally, that became infected, had an apisectomy (?) that left shrapnel in my gum, that got infected, so I lost the post crowns, and had implants as the only acceptable option)

That's more or less what happened to me, resulting in the need for 7 years of remedial treatment at the Eastman (including 5 attempted apisectomies and 8 re-root canal treatments), all of which was finally unsuccessful, thus the need for the implants.

I've had some abysmal dental treatment over the years, including a drill-and-fill monster in my teens who did all the damage, and another who ground down my natural teeth to try and make some ill-fitting crowns work. 

I've noticed that however bad previous work has been, it is never criticised by your current dentist.  Honour amongst thieves indeed.
The sound of one pannier flapping

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 08 December, 2013, 12:25:34 pm »
I suspect many of us who are considering implants now were victims of the paid-by-piecework NHS cheap & nasty drill & fill dental monsters of the '60s & 70s.
We had no sugar rationing, cheap sweets and no fluoride in the water or toothpaste.

I refused to visit a dentist when I realised they were paid on piecework. I was 14.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #17 on: 08 December, 2013, 12:40:46 pm »
I suspect many of us who are considering implants now were victims of the paid-by-piecework NHS cheap & nasty drill & fill dental monsters of the '60s & 70s.
School dentists - 'nuff said  :o

« Reply #18 on: 09 December, 2013, 01:29:49 pm »
I have booked an appointment for Friday to discuss options with my dentist. I still detect a note that they do not want me to go down the implant route but will know more after seeing them. Would my 70 year old gums be a factor?
Home

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 09 December, 2013, 02:01:41 pm »
IANAD but I think the main issue is the quantity and quality of the bone. The bone disappears after years of toothlessness and gives little foundation.
If there have been teeth with strong roots until recently, your chances of success are higher.

« Reply #20 on: 15 December, 2013, 11:02:05 am »
Advise from my dentist was to wait and see. She suggested I give it 6 months for my gums to settle down following the abscess and extraction, before doing anything. There are a couple of clinics she would be prepared to refer me to but wants me to wait.
Home

« Reply #21 on: 15 December, 2013, 11:30:44 am »
I have an implant. I've had it about 8-10 years, with no problems. It was fitted with no problems (except the dentist reciting 'righty-tighty before he managed to turn the screw in the right direction ::-)). I'm very happy with it. :)

IANAD but I think the main issue is the quantity and quality of the bone. The bone disappears after years of toothlessness and gives little foundation.
If there have been teeth with strong roots until recently, your chances of success are higher.

That's what my dentist said, which was why I decided to just go for it. :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 15 December, 2013, 05:42:44 pm »
IANAD but it strikes me that letting infection resolve is good. Any infection around foreign material is bad. Not much bone is lost in a year though infection can eat away much bone substance.

The lower jaw in a young adult is around 4cm from the bottom to the margin of the teeth.
An old jaw with decades of toothlessness can be around 1.5cm in depth.

« Reply #23 on: 01 January, 2014, 09:53:46 pm »
IANAD but it strikes me that letting infection resolve is good. Any infection around foreign material is bad. Not much bone is lost in a year though infection can eat away much bone substance.

The lower jaw in a young adult is around 4cm from the bottom to the margin of the teeth.
An old jaw with decades of toothlessness can be around 1.5cm in depth.

Its early loss of bone width that is the problem. With implants as small as 5mm in length, lack of bone height is becoming less of an issue.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #24 on: 07 March, 2014, 09:20:15 am »
Decided to have implants. Scans show bone is good and should take them. Appointment made for the 17th March. I hate these dentures.
Home