Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Pub / Re: Heating on?
« Last post by Jurek on Today at 10:02:53 am »
Still in single figures °C  here. So heating deffo on.
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by rogerzilla on Today at 09:59:09 am »
Eight Miles High - The Byrds
The Pub / Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Last post by Cudzoziemiec on Today at 09:58:30 am »
In what world does Apollo not need a social worker? Strange indeed.
« Last post by rogerzilla on Today at 09:57:26 am »
I had to light the fire.  I was blipping the CH but that costs money and the fire doesn't (likely to move house later this year and I think I'll be leaving logs in the wood store).
« Last post by Flite on Today at 09:52:32 am »
Minus 3.8C again last night, ground completely white, of course the heating in on.
The Pub / Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Last post by cycleman on Today at 09:52:31 am »
As soon as I get the contact details I will definitely chase them. Many thanks barakta. Conservative council 🙄
The Sporting Life / Re: Southend Football
« Last post by bobb on Today at 09:45:20 am »
Up the road from Southend today, there is a huge local derby. Chelmsford City face Braintree Town in the National League South play-off semi-final.

Up The Clarets!
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by Woofage on Today at 09:39:28 am »
Flight of the Snow Goose - Camel
Freewheeling / Re: Pilgrimage Symposium, 17/Apr/24, London
« Last post by Graeme on Today at 08:55:37 am »
It actually made me think of one of my own favourite (much shorter) rides, which includes a short but steep hill just outside Gloucester. Heading back south, you crest the hill and get your first view of the city, which is dead flat (as well as obviously much, much smaller than London) and I'm still struck how, in 2024, the tallest building is still the cathedral.

That may be a deliberate planning thing, like in that Canterbury that they have now, where the Arch Bish has some sort of veto over large erections and anagrams of "fuck".

I think that's something of an urban myth.  The Cathedral authorities will probably be statutory consultees but they won't have a veto as such.  The main protection for the Cathedral and the city skyline will come from the designation of World Heritage status, underpinned by the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 and the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979, the various Planning Acts, together with the National Planning Policy Framework and Circular 07/09 and the council's Local Plan.  There will be protected views of the Cathedral which will prevent high rise buildings from being built nearby.

Radio 4 this morning... the shadowy forces that prevent large erections revealed themselves... duh duh durrrrr: Griff Rhys Jones!
Health & Fitness / Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Last post by T42 on Today at 08:53:00 am »
For the last day and a half, I've had tinnitus in my right ear that sounds like a large diseasel engine idling in the distance.  Happened last week too, and I spent a fair bit of time trying to locate the source of the noise before it randomly stopped.

Bastard, innit?  I used to be able to hear a 15 kHz CRT whine from across the office. Now I still can, all the time, but we had any CRTs for years.  Plus water running through a pope* somewhere.

* tobago
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10