Author Topic: Old style razors  (Read 5696 times)

Re: Old style razors
« Reply #50 on: 20 April, 2023, 10:52:43 pm »
I once went ski touring in Morocco. In the market at Asni on the way back from Toubkal, they sold Cattle and sheep as well as normal things like vegetables and carpets. There were also barbers using cut throat razers. Some complain that Roman writers on law when talking about negligence are unrealistic but there is a comment by one of the Digest writers "a man who commits himself to a barber who has his chair in a dangerous place has only himself to blame". The market was crowded and every so often a mule or donkey would career through the ailes dividing the stalls. Despite this one of our group had his two weeks growth of beard shaved and was most impressed at how good a shave he had had.

« Reply #51 on: 22 April, 2023, 09:13:33 pm »
I'd a scarcely used in-its-box German steel cut-throat razor that my grandfather owned, so it was decades old, pre-war even. Put it on ebay and it went for just over a hundred quid. I'd have been happy with twenty. A barber in London bought it.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #52 on: 27 April, 2023, 03:04:16 pm »
Has anyone who has used and liked a decent badger brush tried the Edwin Jagger synthetic ones?

Well the answer is, not quite as nice. While it is a smooth (or, maybe smoother?) brushing "with the flow" but - at least a new brush - are pointy-er end of the bristles stick in as you brush around. Not a huge issue, and something I can live with.