Author Topic: Gratuitous cat pics - new and improved!  (Read 569984 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Gratuitous cat pics - new and improved!
« Reply #1550 on: 24 January, 2012, 03:01:10 pm »
So decided to call her Lumen, she is now confident enough to sleep on the sofa instead of underneath it. Frankie has his own reading chair he's claimed.

Frankie can read?? What a star!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

border-rider

« Reply #1551 on: 24 January, 2012, 03:04:16 pm »
Remember, you want something you can shout out the door when trying to find her, for feeding / vet visits / random other cat finding purpose.  If you pick the wrong name, it could be embarrassing!

Our old male cat, Oliver, would only respond to his name when called loudly in a comedy French accent  :facepalm:

« Reply #1552 on: 24 January, 2012, 03:12:34 pm »
Remember, you want something you can shout out the door when trying to find her, for feeding / vet visits / random other cat finding purpose.  If you pick the wrong name, it could be embarrassing!

Our old male cat, Oliver, would only respond to his name when called loudly in a comedy French accent  :facepalm:

My parents should have heeded that warning when naming our 1980 Westie puppy "Fame" after the Kids from Fame. Shouting him in the park years later, some joker would always shout back "I wanna live forever"  :facepalm:

fuzzy

« Reply #1553 on: 26 January, 2012, 07:52:42 pm »

Sometimes all a lad wants to do is save the world or blow shit up. Cats just want to get in the way  ;D

« Reply #1554 on: 28 January, 2012, 03:24:02 pm »

We welcome our new fluffy overlords, Eldritch and Spiggy (why yes, I have spent most of my life wearing too much black).

btw, when does the speaking like a muppet wear off? Is it a symptom of cat ownership or a regressive trait which leads to cat ownership?

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #1555 on: 29 January, 2012, 02:46:01 am »
Speaking like a muppet becomes a way of life sadly lol.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1556 on: 29 January, 2012, 08:52:54 am »
As ever, Randall has summed it up perfectly:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cat_proximity.png

Chris S

« Reply #1557 on: 01 February, 2012, 09:47:46 am »
Is this allowed in here?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/T9TmmF79Rw0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/T9TmmF79Rw0&rel=1</a>

« Reply #1558 on: 01 February, 2012, 01:48:54 pm »
Is this allowed in here?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/T9TmmF79Rw0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/T9TmmF79Rw0&rel=1</a>

There is a company actually selling a device for this to vets, although any strongish clip will work. It sends them into kitten-being-carried-by-mum mode where they relax and hang by the scruff  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1559 on: 01 February, 2012, 01:52:47 pm »
I've never seen it work that well on an adult cat - impressive!

AIUI it's okay to grab an adult by the scruff to calm them down, as long as you don't pick them up by it as you would a kitten?

« Reply #1560 on: 01 February, 2012, 02:19:28 pm »
I've never seen it work that well on an adult cat - impressive!

AIUI it's okay to grab an adult by the scruff to calm them down, as long as you don't pick them up by it as you would a kitten?

I wouldn't necessarily recommend you try grabbing a cat who is already wound up heh. Even if you hold all four of their legs they will get you with a 5th then bite you  ;D
I wouldn't pick an adult cat up by the scruff without supporting their weight from below since the skin is not really strong enough to take 4-6kg of dangling cat and it could hurt. Calming techniques on cats work best if the cat is already calm at the start, once their adrenaline gets pumping you end up with something closer to this:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1hPxGmTGarM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/1hPxGmTGarM&rel=1</a>

« Reply #1561 on: 01 February, 2012, 03:38:59 pm »
Yes, once Zev gets a bit upset, then the kitten being carried by mum bit doesn't really work.  It worked better when she was younger, but doesn't work as well now.  I've never done it that often, and generally only when she's decided to go into exploding cat, paws and claws everywhere mode, but it doesn't really do much now.  Luckily she's small enough that I can just grab all four paws and stop her struggling, although you can't really do anything else at that point, having run out of hands!

She's currently definitely not as relaxed as either Kai is, or Talisker was.
Actually, it is rocket science.

barakta

« Reply #1562 on: 01 February, 2012, 03:55:19 pm »
The scruffing just about worked when I rescued Zev from down the side of a skip.  She was very very scared/angry and I managed to scruff her while holding her which mainly had the effect of her growling but not really able to bite/claw me.  That was enough to get her in the house and up to bathroom into drybath where we could put her down and she couldn't run away anywhere dangerous.

I think we only scruffed her one or two more times and that was to get eyedrops in her eyes, Kim usually used the nicely nicely getting her as calm as possible method which worked till she got wise to it. 

« Reply #1563 on: 01 February, 2012, 06:08:29 pm »
I suspect I'll find out how well it works, the next time I need to do something like give her a pill!  Kai luckily is relaxed enough that I can just flip him on his back and pop a pill in, as I used to do with Talisker.  So far, I've only had to give Zev a worming paste, and that resulted in only a handful of scratches!

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #1564 on: 01 February, 2012, 09:34:26 pm »
Here's an update:

As you can see they're tolerating eachother but the look on their faces tell a story lol.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #1565 on: 03 February, 2012, 06:35:05 pm »
Kiri likes to immobilise the mouse arm of the human she chooses to sit on :)

« Reply #1566 on: 03 February, 2012, 06:39:38 pm »
Here's an update:
As you can see they're tolerating eachother but the look on their faces tell a story lol.

In that photo, they almost look the same size.  How big is Charlie compared to Frankie?

Zev is still only about 3/5th the size of Kai, but it doesn't stop her attacking him more often than the other way around!

Frankie looks a little more relaxed than Charlie, which is much the same as my two.  Zev is the nervous one, always ready to run away, or be spooked easily, and with the big wide worried eyes if she's not sure what's happening, for example someone with a strange camera thingy!

« Reply #1567 on: 04 February, 2012, 02:46:27 am »
 Anders's cat Sooty doing what he does best

scottclark.photoshelter.com

barakta

« Reply #1568 on: 04 February, 2012, 01:47:12 pm »
Is Anders teeny or is the cat HUGE? 

Lovely pic!

« Reply #1569 on: 04 February, 2012, 02:35:23 pm »

Actually, they're both pretty big.  :)  And Sooty is only the mid-size cat in our house.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

fuzzy

« Reply #1570 on: 05 February, 2012, 06:03:20 pm »
Sniper Cat is watching you-

« Reply #1571 on: 05 February, 2012, 08:41:16 pm »
Bertie took one look at the snow and thought better of going outside.
George was rather more determined.

« Reply #1572 on: 05 February, 2012, 08:51:54 pm »
I forgot about Rico's 'issues' with walking in snow and forgot to provide him with a litter tray yesterday. He pissed on the floor of my ensuite bathroom. I am so glad he didn't do it on the bed like he did last year!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1573 on: 06 February, 2012, 10:35:31 pm »
Mojo:

IMG_4906 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #1574 on: 08 February, 2012, 09:33:45 pm »
Here's an update:

In that photo, they almost look the same size.  How big is Charlie compared to Frankie?

Zev is still only about 3/5th the size of Kai, but it doesn't stop her attacking him more often than the other way around!

Frankie looks a little more relaxed than Charlie, which is much the same as my two.  Zev is the nervous one, always ready to run away, or be spooked easily, and with the big wide worried eyes if she's not sure what's happening, for example someone with a strange camera thingy!

Frankie is a good 3rd bigger, that said after a bath they're both not to dissimilar, frankie just has tonnes of hair. He's taking the offensive now, they get on much better and only growl/hiss when they spot eachother from either side of one of us. But they do play fight a lot which Frankie starts now and stops when she starts hissing. I think he's just trying to play and she's not.

Support Equilibrium