Author Topic: Midhurst 600  (Read 35164 times)

Re: Midhurst 600
« Reply #150 on: 27 May, 2008, 07:40:31 am »
I clocked 5615m climbing - Edge 705

Did you manage to log the entire ride, or did some data get overwritten?

My GPS (eTrex Vista) measured 6290m of ascent.  The tracklog only holds 1000 points though and it looks like the first 100k or so has been overwritten.
TransAfrika 2016

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #151 on: 27 May, 2008, 07:50:58 am »
I clocked 5615m climbing - Edge 705

Did you manage to log the entire ride, or did some data get overwritten?

Got the lot,  including cad   :thumbsup: ... Will report in detail on t'other thread but now, I must get this ride report done!!
Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

LEE

« Reply #152 on: 27 May, 2008, 09:46:10 am »
6748m of ascent according to Fugawi

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #153 on: 27 May, 2008, 11:20:04 am »
Well, that was a ride of two halves - just like last year, it was a sunny Saturday and soggy Sunday.  And how about that challenge upthread that the weather couldn't be as bad as last year; always trouble, these media types  ;D  In fact, it wasn't as wet as last year, but it was much windier, and TBH we probably did better on Sat / Sun than we would have done on Sun / Mon.  Not that I knew much about the latter, too busy trying to repay my sleep debt, but it all looked very wet when I surfaced.

Started off fairly early, riding solo with only a couple of others anywhere near: Bob McHardy on his home-built folder and John Evans over from Australia.  We all reached the first stuff stop control before the official opening, but managed to stoke up for all the hills that we'd forgotten the organiser had kindly provided. Thence over gently rolling terrain, as I recall, till the second chance to rest the legs and chat to others on the ride.  El S seemed to think a tail wind would blow us to Cirencester, but it seemed to blow from every quarter at its own whim. Not helpful.  Despite Dave's best efforts, the need for a large hot meal was evident, and Tesco's cafe was ideal, if not as swift as wished.  Just like my pace up the Whiteway, a road which has received a poor press on the forerunner to this forum, and was not helped by a full-on head wind.  Somewhere on this stage Lee caught up with me, and we stayed together for the rest of the ride, which certainly made the KMs seem shorter.  Pausing briefly to get a receipt at the Co-op in Newent, which indicated we had detoured to Manchester, we made good progress to reach Peterchurch just as it got too dark to read the route sheets. Dave was up to his usual tricks ably assisted by Dave and Anne Lewis / Learmonth - good to see them too.  It was all far too enjoyable there, so reluctantly we got back en velo to make for Magor. Little remembered about this stage except a) it was dark, b) the petrol station's door was shut, c) some tanked-up chav found Lee's Solidlight ridiculously amusing and d) there was a lot of up.  

At Magor we saw many of the faster riders who had apparently been marooned there due to the bridge having been closed to traffic (see upthread) so were pleased to have timed it well, for once.  A short bit of shuteye, then out to brave the weather, now rather wet.  Sadly, my brain wasn't working properly, being unable to count past two and we did a quick extra K or so in Chepstow, followed by a slow K or so retracing up the hill (natch).  At least we picked up Dave Lambie who had also gone off route and we all got onto the bridge together.  This was definitely the worst bit of the ride as the vicious cross-wind tried to blow us into the pillars.  Dave and I walked it hating the stinging, horizontal hail, but after a bit, Lee remounted and rode on, though it probably wasn't that pleasant.  We were also passed by Phil and Mary on the Turnerdem and someone else whose name I cannot now remember (sorry.) I was worried that wind would turn into another raging headwind to try to stop us climbing into Tockington, but it never happened, and that route seemed more benign until Washingpool Hill Road.  Little left in the memory of the rest of that stage, but Leigh Delamere was a welcome oasis (and thank God for air driers for sodden gloves)  Dave Lambie passed quickly through - too quickly, as we next saw him retacing to get a receipt!  Didn't see him again, but hope he finished; he had been going OK, but it was his first long ride since PBP.  Thru' Chippenham where the Morris Mens' (and Morris Womens' - didn't know they existed) World Championships was in full swing. Onward and invariably upward through some gorgeous Wiltshire and Hampshire villages to the familiar penultimate control @ Sutton Scotney.  But not before there was a sneaky attempt at Burbage to weigh us down with further food and drink at another El Supremo bonk buster stop.  And very welcome it was, too.  Time now seemed to be pressing so we continued on well known, but badly remembered roads (at least, as far as the climbing was concerned), through Steep - not this way - onto the undulating A272. Fortunately, as we attempted unconvincingly to pretend to be testers along it, it was generally more down than up.  Finally we reached the final control, just behind Bob McH to see Margaret Philpotts, just contacting base and Hummers who had turned out to welcome Aukshausted riders back.  What a star!

All in all, a stisfying ride, with excellent scenery, a varied mix of weather, Dave's famed catering and good company from the riders.  Congratulations to all who made it, especially Margaret suffering badly with a sore knee, and comiserations, if appropriate, to those who packed.  It's always a personal decision in individual circumstances, and if it helps keep you enjoying your cycling, that's good.  I was pleased to see upthread that Andy Taylor-Vebel made it to the finish, though saddened for Bob McHardy who had arrived at Magor shortly out of time and thought, probably correctly, he wouldn't be able to claw the deficit back, so invoked the assistance of British Rail.  So the Mark Beauchamp impersonation will not be repeated?  Finally, many thanks to El for all his hard work in organising this event and minstering to our needs on four separate occasions.  Hope the Post Office doesn't lose the Brevet Card...
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

frere yacker

« Reply #154 on: 27 May, 2008, 12:04:03 pm »
Hope the Post Office doesn't lose the Brevet Card...

Me too.

I've photocopied mine just in case, having recently been shafted by the PO when they failed to deliver a DIY return  :(

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #155 on: 27 May, 2008, 12:16:37 pm »
Is it just my imagination or has El Supremo got a new van?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Martin

« Reply #156 on: 27 May, 2008, 12:43:53 pm »
Is it just my imagination or has El Supremo got a new van?

he has

does anyone want to point out the main controls so I can Bikely the route and settle the AAA debate?

frere yacker

« Reply #157 on: 27 May, 2008, 12:44:11 pm »
The more time that passes, the more I'm realising that this was a bloody good event.  Sitting at my desk with a little glow of satisfaction. Thinking back, it was a kind of "greatest hits" of other rides (Brevet Cymru, Bryan Chapman, Severn Across/Dean, some Denmead rides, Wiltshire White Horses all spring to mind).

BTW: did anyone have a proper sleep stop on route (i.e. not a service station, bus shelter etc).  Dave Lewis suggested the bunkhouse in Pengenfford - I was tempted, but decided to push on a bit further whilst I still felt fresh (a mistake in my case, as I simply cycled 15km further for a fitful sleep in a bus shelter)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #158 on: 27 May, 2008, 01:16:07 pm »
Postie reckoned he got 4 hours kip at Magor.

H

LEE

« Reply #159 on: 27 May, 2008, 03:19:27 pm »
The more time that passes, the more I'm realising that this was a bloody good event.  Sitting at my desk with a little glow of satisfaction. Thinking back, it was a kind of "greatest hits" of other rides (Brevet Cymru, Bryan Chapman, Severn Across/Dean, some Denmead rides, Wiltshire White Horses all spring to mind).

As usual I am having difficulty remembering vast parts of the ride and the sequence of events.  I doubt if I will ever be able to write an article for Arrivee unless I carry a dictaphone with me.

Is it just me?  Does everyone else remember where Hill X, Town Y and Road Z were ?

I used to think it was using a GPS that causes this (just following the Arrow) but I used the route sheet exclusively on this ride and it feels like a year ago already (my neck-ache reminds me it was more recent).

Maybe I have Altzheimers.

or maybe I have Altzheimers.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #160 on: 27 May, 2008, 03:25:45 pm »

As usual I am having difficulty remembering vast parts of the ride and the sequence of events.  I doubt if I will ever be able to write an article for Arrivee unless I carry a dictaphone with me.

Is it just me?  Does everyone else remember where Hill X, Town Y and Road Z were ?

I think most ride reports would be enhanced if they skipped all that pointless detail - Tim hinted that he'd love more short articles for Arrivee.

(Although I DO wish forum posters would check town/village names before posting.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #161 on: 27 May, 2008, 03:28:42 pm »

No not just you. If I am going to write a RR I decide to do it before the event, I mean I make the decision to write it before the event, then look out for interesting things and think about what i will write as I am riding. That way I remember parts in the right order. I make mental recaps of the event at different stages so i don't forget. Trying to remember everything afterwards, unplanned, doesn't work for me as I switch off on a ride and just pedal.

Cyklisten

• Cyklisten Online
« Reply #162 on: 27 May, 2008, 03:33:42 pm »
WARNING .... Long Post, probably containing pointless detail: ;D

“You stink!’ ….. I don’t think Mrs Cyklisten was too impressed with my general aroma. Having crawled into bed in the early hours of Monday morning without taking a shower, it seemed that the cursory once over with baby wipes hadn’t had the desired effect. Still, she made me a cuppa whilst I sheepishly climbed into a bath and cast my mind back over the weekend. 
The Midhurst 600 was to be my longest ride of the season and although I had done the distance once before  (Rainsham 600 last year), this one went the furthest away from the start. In the run up to the ride there was much chatter in yacf about the sleep and the lack of available accommodation so I decided to take a tent. I also moved up to panniers: The tent and sleeping mat in one and spare clothes and emergency kit in the other. The latter was by far the heaviest and will have to be revised in future.
I made the start at around 5.30 to see one or two of the usual suspects and to find that quite a few had already set off. I had hoped to meet a few names from yacf and especially to catch up with Hummers. Having agreed to meet Martin Stovell (with whom I rode the Hailsham 400) at the start. It was round about 6 when we rolled off.
With the weather forecast in mind, I planned to make as much time as possible in the dry and so when the ‘Fast Boys’ (Chris Tracey and Richard Thomas) left the Alresford checkpoint, I tagged along. With Mark Fairweather (who had given Martin (S). quite a start in the middle of the night on the 400, rising from behind a hedge under an orange cape at the Burbage checkpoint!) and a chap with a cycling plus shirt who I have seen before, but don’t know his name, we made a good brisk pace through some quaint villages with thatched roofs in abundance - very pretty.
Arriving at the at Marlborough control it was good to see Brian and Sue Howe and as usual Brian and I got talking about gps et al. This ate into the time a little too much and I watched as Phil and Mary Turner moved away on the tandem as did the ’Fast Boys’. Speaking of eating, there was shortage of treacle tart at this feed. I resolved to quiz Mr Phipps (the usual culprit) on this subject but he flatly  denied all knowledge!  Hmmmm!
I found the next section quite tough. The extra weight of the panniers and (probably more significantly) their aerodynamic qualities into wind made everything quite laborious. Also, my usual ‘sweet spot’ gear wasn’t working and it took me a while to
a) Realise this and
b) find another one. Twit!
I stopped in Wooten Basset for a Red Bull, which brightened me up a bit, but I was still feeling sluggish and eventually made a small detour (on foot) into the woods. I saw a dead grass snake in there, which had me concerned for a few seconds about camping out later on. I hope they like sweet corn.
Feeling better (and considerably lighter!) I started to get into a good rhythm and the control in Cirencester was on me quickly.  I had read the route sheet wrongly as ‘through Siddington’ and then 11k but the distance was inclusive. So, there I was at the @ sharp L bend go SO’ I recognised it straight away as I had ‘been there’ before in Google Earth. I took a break and a sandwich on the grass by the petrol station listening to the screeching tyres of the drivers who felt it de rigeur to tear around the car parking area at silly speed. It wasn’t restricted to ‘lads’ either: everyone was at it.
Happy to leave the Grand Prix training ground behind, I made for Newent. I was in better shape now and moving quite well. I passed Phil & Mary (they were stationary – making it possible) just before the 25% descent. I, like several others, picked the wrong 25 %, so the SO @ X wasn’t there. Having just done a long white-knuckle ride accompanied by the smell of hot rubber, a retrace wasn’t going to happen. I resorted to the SatNav. I punched in Stoke Orchard and after a bit of weaving about was back on route.
As I arrived in Newent the Tandem (I guess they went the right way)  and the ‘Fast Boys’ were just leaving. While I was eating, Martin Stovell and Ray Kerridge arrived. Martin was calling out to say he thought I would have been miles away by now when he swung in to Ray and went flying onto the deck. I think he was more embarrassed than hurt, so all was well.
The next stage was very pleasant. In spite of the looming ranges in the distance and the suspicion that El Supremo would have found some horrible inclines for our delectation the wind was behind and the terrain was flat, In Ross on Wye, the ‘keep Market House on R was easily spotted (once again courtesy of Google Earth) and I spotted a pub by the name of Crown & Sceptre which reminded me of PatC’s forthcoming events.
After watching the sunset and getting myself in to night mode, it wasn’t too long before I happened upon the Nr Hay on Wye control. Again, the ‘Fast Boys’ were just leaving (I’ll have to change my aftershave!) as was Andy Seviour. A rarity to see Andy with his bike as he usually rides the route in advance and helps at checkpoint on the day. The ‘El Supremo’ machine was in full swing. Dave, along with two helpers, waited on me hand and foot. I didn’t have to lift a finger. (just as well really) Luxury!
Dave told me that Hummers had packed, so I wouldn’t see him after all …. Little did I know!
Thoughts of sleep started creeping in but I wanted to get a few more miles on the clock and so it was off into the night. I enjoyed this section, making good progress through Talgarth and beyond. Passing the entrance to the Black Mountains Gliding Club where I had a memorable flight with an instructor called Ivor Shattock (how could you forget?), I thought about stopping and photographing the bike by the sign, but I was going too well and didn’t want to break my rhythm. The long descent in the next valley was great fun but the need for sleep was pressing and I started looking at the roadside for somewhere to pitch. After trying several small side roads, which were unsuitable, I found a large building set back from the road, with a lay-by-style pull in and a wall. Lean bike against the wall. Pitch tent (5 mins). Climb in, set alarm (1 hour), lights off. Lights on. Double check alarm – I had already been asleep for half an hour!) Sleep again.  Alarm. Up and Pack (aka stuff everything willy nilly in pannier) and off! Only an hour, but I was well rested and with daylight approaching I passed several cyclist occupied bus shelters. I had just passed on such, containing a stirring pair of ‘Fast Boys’ when the rain started. I pulled in on an old garage forecourt and suited up for the weather. As I joined the road again Chris and Richard came passed. I thought to tag on but didn’t want to crease myself by going just that bit too fast. In Usk, I got to the ‘Info Control’ but there was no question on the brevet card. I must have missed an announcement at the start? I started frantically writing down the distances in all directions to anywhere. The pub across the road looked familiar, I had stayed there many moons ago while on a concert tour. I saw an HSBC bank and elected to get an ATM slip just in case. As I left there a rider came passed (Sydenham shirt) He had stayed in a B&B in Usk for four hours and didn’t stick around for long. Another quick one!
In Carleon the hill had me on the 24” gear for the first time in a long time. I thought  I saw  Phil and Mary pushing further up but they were nowhere in sight when I reached the top. I caught Chris & Richard at Magor Services and by this time the rain was  pretty heavy. There was reluctance to leave and go out into the rain but it had to be done. Chris’s “Aaaagh!” as we did so, said it all. It wasn’t long before I realied that my computer had gone off so I stopped to change batteries and thus was alone again (naturally – as the song goes).
The next section was a drudge including the much anticipated ride across the Severn Bridge. What should have been a picturesque jaunt  over the river with photo opportunities was hard work and a little tricky. With substantial side winds and pricking rain it was like negotiating the Striding Edge route up Hellvellyn in the Lake District.
By the time I got to Littleton Drew the rain had abated and things were getting warmer.  I met a rider going the other way, looking lost. The route sheet was a bit askew regarding the placement of telephone boxes and national speed limit signs so I consulted the Sat Nav and worked out the route. Having pointed us in the right direction and being told that he hadn’t ridden since PBP he shot off and left me to it.
By Leigh Delamere, I was knackered. Having eaten, I went to get up and go but everything had seized up and was sore so I retired to the Gents and put the wet wipes, Sudocrem and Neurofen to work. As I was leaving, Martin (S) and Ray arrived.
In Chippenham, the Main street was closed  (as advertised) for Morris Dancing, another photo opportunity as I was duck walking on my cleats. I skipped one of the several MRAB instructions and ended up in a shopping centre service area - Doh! – One of those gaffs that you have to correct quickly before the next rider comes along! Being brain dead at this point and confused by the sequence and number of roundabouts I once again resorted to the Sat-Nav. After a few turns and the suspicion that I was going the wrong way I stopped and checked again, whilst getting out of the ‘boil in a bag’ alledgedly breathable rain gear. Martin (S) & Ray with John? Appeared and passed me. The Sat-Nav was right!
Dave’s extra stop at Burbage was most welcome with beans on toast, rice pudding and tea – the usual ‘Full Monty’ with banter!
We rode on, as a group, consisting myself, Martin (S), Ray, John? and Mr PBP (didn’t catch a name) but by the the time we reached Barton Stacey there were onle three! John? and Mr PBP  had presumably taken the short cut and got lost. We met them coming the other way! Pressing on, there was uncertainty about where we were. I had studied this one (again Google Earth) and was certain the Services were just around the corner and Hey Presto  - Voila! We made it just on the time limit – though the receipt said otherwise.
We were tight for time and there was much lingering and faffing going on. Ray and I agreed that it was time to turn up the wick a bit so as to finish within the allowance. Mr PBP had bought a wadge of Sunday  newspapers “There’s a lot going on in the world that we don’t hear about” !
On leaving the control there was further confusion and uncertainty because of lack of a railway bridge as advertised. I was sure we were going the right way and rode a while until I saw the remains of a railway bridge on both sides of the road; much over grown. The deck had long since gone. From here I could also see the next turn. We eventually agreed that ‘this was the way’ and set off. Ray wound the pace up nicely to a speed that would do the job. This, last leg was quite strange. Firstly, John? kept appearing and disappearing, like a ghost and Mr PBP appeared to be in a lot of difficulty. He was riding with one pannier which looked pretty full and was leaning quite badly and he was hunched awkwardly  over the bars and muttering about core strength. His gears were playing up too and he spent a good deal of time looking at them and grumbling. He seemed to by very strong and would overtake uphill and pull right in front and then change down and almost stall making avoiding action necessary. The only safe place was out in front so I got out of the way. At some point he had a dodgy cleat moment and took  a tumble. He didn’t sound very happy.
As night drew on we pressed on and the descent near Steep was fantastic. I put my front lamp (Lupine Wilma) on full tilt which allowed me to go for it. By this time Ray reckoned we would make it and on joining the A272 we were homeward bound. There was a pee stop but I kept going but then had to stop for stingy eyes. By the time they had cleared I was at the back as we strung out along the road.
Down the last hill into Midhurst I could see a car coming towards us. Nothing unusual, except that is seemed to be stopping at each rider in turn. I had visions of either a nutter or the police giving free lectures on the dangers of cycling at night or, in my case, a telling off for my extravagant light show. In a way I was right first time: It was Hummers! Having returned to collect his van he was shouting encouragenent at us on the last leg. Cheers, Mark!
Just before town, there was a pub on the left with revellers outside. I heard “ Oi!, in ‘ere … fell off! shouted at me as I passed. I thought it was the usual jeering. But on arriving at Midhurst, there were only three of us (I guess Mr PBP had had another tumble).
Ray, Martin (S) and myself had made it, with (in my case) four minutes to spare. There was an air of modest celebration as we stood together on the garage forecourt before departing our separate ways. I got the noddy’s in the car on the way home and slept badly before driving gingerly back to Kent. Next time I’ll take a leaf out of Ray’s book and B&B it in Midhurst, or even repitch the bivi.

I only got an hours sleep but it was so good and I felt rested afterwards and will do it again.
There were times when I had to dig really deep. The downside of carrying the tent was that it was there, available at all times and could have all to easily packed, set up camp and waited for the cavalry (aka Mrs Cyklisten).

I have Charlotte to thank for these words, which kept me going in some of the toughest parts:

“Mainly, it's the bloody mindedness. What gets me through bonkers rides is taking the attitude that the only way I'm not going to finish the ride is if I'm dead, dying or on fire.”

Given the rain, there was little chance of a fire breaking out but giggling to myself at the prospect did the trick

And finally: Many thanks to the man himself, Dave El Supremo Hudson and helpers for the hard work involved.

Andy

Pix to follow…

« Reply #163 on: 28 May, 2008, 02:37:04 pm »
Nice report cyklisten.

I could be wrong be I believe that "Mr PBP" was David Lambie.  I rode a few miles with him earlier on.  I hope he made it in time ....... shame to go so far and just fail to meet the time limit  :-[
TransAfrika 2016

« Reply #164 on: 28 May, 2008, 06:35:26 pm »

I used to think it was using a GPS that causes this (just following the Arrow) but I used the route sheet exclusively on this ride and it feels like a year ago already (my neck-ache reminds me it was more recent).

Maybe I have Altzheimers.

or maybe I have Altzheimers.

;D

Nope not me - but then I don't think I've actually had to refer to the routesheet at any stage on any of my rides this year (and I don't use GPS either) -  :-[ - really must do some different rides next year.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #165 on: 28 May, 2008, 06:41:19 pm »
Nice report cyklisten.

I could be wrong be I believe that "Mr PBP" was David Lambie.  I rode a few miles with him earlier on.  I hope he made it in time ....... shame to go so far and just fail to meet the time limit  :-[

I think it was David and he was just in front of Andy/Cyklisten as they came into Midhurst.

H

Cyklisten

• Cyklisten Online
« Reply #166 on: 29 May, 2008, 01:27:33 pm »
Sounds about right. He may have decided to get a receipt at the pub - would have been near enough. There were only three of us at the garage and that closed for stocktaking only minutes after we arrived.

Here are some pix of the jaunt Midhurst 600

Phixie

« Reply #167 on: 29 May, 2008, 03:20:06 pm »
Nice pix Cyklisten!  The unnamed rider at the Ropley stop in the Cycling + top is Tim Ford.
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

Cyklisten

• Cyklisten Online
« Reply #168 on: 29 May, 2008, 03:32:56 pm »
Thank you, kind sir! I've been faffing with my website and have reloaded last years Rainsham. There is one of your good self calculating the treacle tart requirement at Pease Pottage!  ;D

Phixie

« Reply #169 on: 29 May, 2008, 03:46:35 pm »
= n+4   Everytime! ;D ;D

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #170 on: 31 May, 2008, 03:49:53 pm »
Does Hummer's arse look big in this?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.