Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 336511 times)

ian

Re: Television tonight: what's worth watching?
« Reply #1800 on: 25 September, 2020, 09:37:07 pm »
Quite enjoying The Boys (two episodes in, admittedly). Karl Urban's British accent is a bit unique (as is Simon Pegg's American).

Basically imagine if the Superheroes everyone worshipped were actually a bunch of uber-cunts working for a company that makes a merger between big oil and big tobacco look like a philanthropic venture. Well, you don't have to, some else did.

I'm not sure how they're going to run it for two seasons. I liked the novel deployment method for plastique. That's one way to get around a superpower.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1801 on: 26 September, 2020, 12:29:13 am »
Tehran.

Watched the first episode tonight and it looks promising. It is possible I’ll have to watch the rest on my own...
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #1802 on: 01 October, 2020, 04:27:46 pm »
Enjoying The Boys even more now. It's very dark, funny, and far pacier than the Netflix superhero sludge. I have grown to like Karl Urban's British accent (there's a few jokes about it in the script, which is nice) and he delivers every 'cunt' with very British aplomb. Most Americans struggle to squeeze the C-bomb out, it's like they're born constricted – if you're going to C-bomb you can't hesitate half-way through the word, it's like holding onto a grenade after you've pulled the pin. Throw the fucker. And he throws. It's almost like he's been to Proper Swearing School. Or possibly a Wetherspoons.

The not-so-superheroes are quite good too. Homelander is a spendidly psychotic lactation-obsessed alt-Captain America. This isn't a programme for small children, btw.

Some of the set pieces have made me laugh hard. The unfortunate demise of the dolphin made me snort, but laser baby was even better.

« Reply #1803 on: 01 October, 2020, 05:10:36 pm »
Quite enjoying The Boys (two episodes in, admittedly). Karl Urban's British accent is a bit unique (as is Simon Pegg's American).

Also watching.  Look out for the noticeable* lapse from the Urban British accent into NZ/downunder in one of the episodes...  ;)

ETA * "no one's gonna hurt you son"
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

ian

« Reply #1804 on: 01 October, 2020, 07:29:21 pm »
Actually, I didn't realise he's a Kiwi, which I think partly explains why we spent the first episode wondering if he was an American trying to be Australian and somehow through the process of linguistic triangulation arrive at British.

I did like the way Amazon put a warning before the first episode that promised every form of swearing, violence, and sex. To be honest, it had me at that.

ETA: just how fucking good are the Kiwi's at swearing anyway? The ones at work are very mild-mannered.

« Reply #1805 on: 01 October, 2020, 10:10:47 pm »
Actually, I didn't realise he's a Kiwi, which I think partly explains why we spent the first episode wondering if he was an American trying to be Australian and somehow through the process of linguistic triangulation arrive at British.

I did like the way Amazon put a warning before the first episode that promised every form of swearing, violence, and sex. To be honest, it had me at that.

ETA: just how fucking good are the Kiwi's at swearing anyway? The ones at work are very mild-mannered.

Kiwis pride themselves on being more sophisticated than Australians; which is to say that they don't feel the need to bloody swear in every bloody sentence.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #1806 on: 02 October, 2020, 10:04:43 am »
What if you take their beetroot? I reckon that would rile them. Jacinda would probably be on the news demanding its return. I can't really imagine her yelling 'give it back, you fucking cunt!' at the camera.

Actually, I can, and it's quite nice. She seems quite good at most things. I bet she can conjure up a good swear.

« Reply #1807 on: 02 October, 2020, 12:55:31 pm »
The very thought of that makes me slightly aroused...

« Reply #1808 on: 02 October, 2020, 04:10:27 pm »
What if you take their beetroot? I reckon that would rile them. Jacinda would probably be on the news demanding its return. I can't really imagine her yelling 'give it back, you fucking cunt!' at the camera.

Actually, I can, and it's quite nice. She seems quite good at most things. I bet she can conjure up a good swear.

She wouldn't yell. (neither does Karl Urban, that's part of the skill of swear).

She'd drop the c*nt bombs precisely and calmly.

Calm down, Legs.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #1809 on: 02 October, 2020, 04:20:47 pm »
I like to think that somewhere, at some time, there will be a brief TV segment entitled Jacinda Swears. She'll pop up on screen, smile, and simply and savagely swear something like 'you cunting fucksockets'. The will be a final moment more of calm smiling and fade to black. The end.

They really should put me in charge of TV.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #1810 on: 09 October, 2020, 07:57:27 pm »
I'm enjoying the Adventure Show on BBC Scotland at the moment, some cycling, a bit of "i can go about 48 hours before i keel over"...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ian

« Reply #1811 on: 09 October, 2020, 08:38:50 pm »
Finished season one of The Boys. I declare it very, very good. You see the ending coming, but it's worth it, and you knew that was going to be a very short-lived promotion. I guess Homelander may have to switch to Cravendale.

« Reply #1812 on: 15 October, 2020, 07:06:49 am »
As ever, Storyville didn't disappoint, this time with an amazing 2-parter: 'The Mole: Infiltrating North Korea'. In which a couple of Danes expose the DPRK's finest sanctions busters; the Mole being an unassuming ex-chef on benefits who plays the long-game (over 10 tears), mainly on behalf of a documentary maker, and without his wife's knowledge. And that description barely scratches the surface. eg there's a proposed underground methamphetamine and weapons underground factory on an island in Lake Victoria, an island which the Ugandans are happy to clear of its inhabitants for the dosh, no questions asked.

And from the ridiculous to the also ridiculous - the new series of Taskmaster starts tonight. Yay! Promoted from Dave to C4.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1813 on: 15 October, 2020, 06:13:07 pm »
Yay indeed!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1814 on: 17 October, 2020, 12:05:22 am »
Series one I was a bit dubious about, not as dark as the original.  Series two departs from the script into much more new territory - I like.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1815 on: 31 October, 2020, 12:46:55 pm »
Quest's ongoing UFO-themed Friday night programming is one of the funniest things out there, particularly the “Alien Contact” show, in which an intense tattooed ex-CIA man and a balding scientist use “groundbreaking CIA-developed software, military special operations investigative techniques and boots-on-the-ground journalism to track down leads around the world”.  Last week one of their teams investigated a “mysterious” concrete pad in the middle of nowhere, KS.  “It's huge!  It's incredible!  It's many other superlatives!  It's…”

… a decommissioned Atlas ICBM silo :facepalm:

Meanwhile the team in Bariloche, Argentina, discover a “mysterious” lake island.  A local boat captain agrees to land them but refuses to come ashore because Woooooo!  Scary!!1!  They discover “mysterious” ruins.  “It's huge!  It's incredible!  It's many other superlatives!  It's…”

…what’s left of a 1950s nuclear fusion project which has its own Wikinaccurate page and has been a regular tourist attraction since 1975.  And so on.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1816 on: 31 October, 2020, 03:48:52 pm »
I know I’m late to the party but I finally watched an episode of Task Master last night.

Damn, it’s good. I laughed a *lot*.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1817 on: 31 October, 2020, 04:04:39 pm »
Just recently come across Taskmaster as well, superbly silly.

Tonight wil be a rugbyfest though while I try to avoid That Dancing Programme
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1818 on: 31 October, 2020, 05:41:59 pm »
Oh wow, you two have got so much fun to catch up on!
I can recommend the Hometasking videos on the Taskmaster You Tube channel too when you run out of the repeats on Dave.

« Reply #1819 on: 31 October, 2020, 05:50:09 pm »
I know I’m late to the party but I finally watched an episode of Task Master last night.

Damn, it’s good. I laughed a *lot*.
I think that all the episodes of Taskmaster are on All4.

May have mentioned it in the tenuous claims to fame thread, but I was at Sidney Sussex with Alex (and Rachel) Horne.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1820 on: 31 October, 2020, 09:26:22 pm »
I think that all the episodes of Taskmaster are on All4.

Yes, there was an advert in the episode I watched to highlight this. I have a lot of catching up to do! And the YouTube vids as well (thanks, Mrs P).

May have mentioned it in the tenuous claims to fame thread, but I was at Sidney Sussex with Alex (and Rachel) Horne.

My son’s girlfriend thinks I look like Alex Horne. Not sure whether to take that as a compliment.

And while we’re on tenuous claims to fame, I’ve met Greg Davies. He’s even taller in real life than he looks on the telly. And just as funny.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1821 on: 31 October, 2020, 10:41:23 pm »
Ah, but if you record the repeats on Dave on a PVR you can skip through all the shitverts (h/t Mr Larrington) which you can't on All 4.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1822 on: 31 October, 2020, 11:27:56 pm »
“Shitverts” was Lobachevskid off of TV's Charlie Brooker.

« Reply #1823 on: 01 November, 2020, 12:25:00 pm »

Despite not sitting anywhere near the front, I was once 'picked on', in a very mild way, by Alex Horne, at one of his Edinburgh shows.

Fans of his will probably also like the 'No More Jockeys' YouTube channel, which fratures a weekly parlour game he plays with his friends Tim Key and Mark Watson. It's more inconsequential silliness.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1824 on: 08 November, 2020, 09:54:32 pm »
S2 of “His Dark Materials” kicked off tonight unnoticed by this Unit but fortunately Professor Larrington e-mailed me a reminder and get_iPlayer is now strutting its funky Stuffs.