Author Topic: Circe Helios  (Read 6538 times)

Circe Helios
« on: 07 February, 2017, 11:43:06 am »
Well we might be buying another tandem.  We’re off to Laid Back Bikes on Saturday to test ride a Circe Helios.
Mrs.B currently uses an Isla Bike trailer bike behind her own bike for the school run and onward commute to work, however little Joe is getting a bit big for the trailer bike and starting to effect the handling too much.

We’ve always liked the look of the Helios and think it will probably be the perfect replacement for the current rig, we will probably buy the large rack too so that it can convert to a cargo bike for added versatility.

It would be great to hear comments, good or bad from existing owners before we buy.

Re: Circe Helios
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2017, 12:01:39 pm »
Much praise for them passim from Butterfly and CrinklyLion, and I think a couple of other folk may have acquired one following their recommendations.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2017, 12:40:49 pm »
If I had a stoker who could ride upwrongular tandems, I'd totally buy one.

« Reply #3 on: 08 February, 2017, 04:59:39 pm »
Point of order - I woz furst

Couple of things still to add (clips and straps on the back, headtube mount for the bar bag, 140mm stem...) Versa shifters are really nice, and the Tiagra discs feel great. The whole thing feels really nice - stiff and light. Looking forward to a proper run out on it.

More info... https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=50157.0

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4 on: 08 February, 2017, 06:15:32 pm »
Joe - just buy one :)

Unless you want a test ride, in which case do that first.  Ours is in York and available for having a go - or there are two owned by the proprietors of Cycle Heaven (but mine is usually cleaner than theirs) which they've done test rides for people on.  Andy even offered to cut the pilot seatpost on his so I could test ride it before I made my purchase as the stock telescopic one is about half an inch too long for me to pedal.  They also have an electric assist one and a Morpheus in their showroom at the mo.

But actually - just buy one :D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2017, 06:28:42 pm »
We have had ours since October but haven't been out on it much because Mrs. Wow has been generally hobbling about. We got the electric assist version, which is great for us on group rides because we are legendary at getting left behind on hills. The e-assist increases our average speed by at least 2 mph, pretty well all of that gained on hill climbing.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #6 on: 08 February, 2017, 09:25:54 pm »
I thoroughly recommend it. I bought one a couple of years ago
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=88078.msg1814022#msg1814022

Haven't used it as much as I'd like, because - stuff. I sometimes wish for lower gears on the hills of Bristol, but 'encouraging' the stoker usually works  :)

« Reply #7 on: 08 February, 2017, 10:12:33 pm »
I love ours! Now I mostly ride with my 3 year old stoking and he thoroughly enjoys all the 'cool bike' comments. He still gets tired so I have a bike seat on the back and he transfers to the 'sleeping seat' when he's fallen asleep pedalling. Because it is so stable it is easy to ride with him in either seat. I also have the extra rack. It's amazingly versatile- I've ridden with stokes aged 2 to 50 and my husband piloted it with me stoking and the little one in the sleeping seat a couple of years back.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #8 on: 12 February, 2017, 11:01:11 pm »
Thanks for all of the positive replies peeps.  After a test ride with David at Laid Back Bikes on Saturday we bought his demonstrator. We picked up the front section of the cargo rack too which only takes seconds to swap with the stokers seat and makes the bike into a cargo carrier.

Vanessa will be using it with the Hainzmann motor currently fitted to her trike but before I can swap it across I'll need to replace the holotech chainset with a good old square taper one as the Hainzmann uses a square taper torque senor bottom bracket.  SJS have a 30T Sturmney chainset in which looks about right.

I'll post photos once its done.   

« Reply #9 on: 13 February, 2017, 11:30:38 am »
I'm interested to know how you get on in terms of maneuverability.  I use an Alfine 11Helios every day on the school run with an 8 year old ,then ride on solo to work and back home later.  Getting the tandem in and out of tight spaces and a bike shed is doable, but mainly 'cos the front end is light.  Most maneuvering is done by lifting the front round.   Adding a load of batteries and a big motor could be interesting?!

Regards
Dan H

« Reply #10 on: 14 February, 2017, 09:31:17 pm »
With the motor and battery I guess it will be a bit of a lump to manoeuvre around however it will be less of a handful than her current ebike and trailer bike combo.

Here's a photo from our test ride, I'm on Laidback's Ice demonstrator.

https://flic.kr/p/QNjZHT

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 14 February, 2017, 09:36:47 pm »
TBH, I expect the handlebars will continue to be the main issue lugging-wise, the motor and battery will just make it heavier.  And you can always take the battery off first.

(My experience of front-heavy recumbents is that it's sometimes easier to manhandle them with a bag on the back because, while heavier, it puts the balance point somewhere more central.)

« Reply #12 on: 14 February, 2017, 09:49:40 pm »
Yes, I had wanted to put the battery on the down tube as this would provide the best balance (rear wheel motor) but alas there isn't enough room. Pilot’s top tube is a possibility but the space is very tight and once fitted there it might be difficult to slide the battery off its carrier. I'd also need to significantly lengthen the motor cable and most importantly Vanessa doesn't want it to go there.

So that leaves the stokers top tube which should work ok, the weight is still between the wheels rather than over the rear wheel which was the third and worst option.

I'm away this week but hope to get job done before Sunday (new chainset dependant).

« Reply #13 on: 16 July, 2017, 07:04:52 pm »
Curious as to how you're getting on a few months later?

We have one and I love it dearly. Small L (now 5) has finally worked out how to get his own feet into the pedal straps which is nice :) and when he deigns to provide turbo-boost / hyperdrive makes an almost alarming amount of difference to our speed. He can't keep it up for very long sadly so it's only good for short hills. We've been practising signals lately too although I had to explain all over again after I turned round and discovered that he'd been sticking his arm out at random off his own bat when I hadn't told him to  ::-)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #14 on: 29 July, 2017, 09:57:02 pm »
Jan and I have taken to riding the Thorn a bit more. The Circe is good, but the Thorn is magnificent.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #15 on: 30 July, 2017, 07:03:19 pm »
I couldn't agree more. The Circe is terrific but on the rare occasions Vanessa's and I get to ride tandem together, as opposed to with the kids, we reach for the Thorn. Compered to the other tandems we've used it's just so rigid.

Of course the fact that on the Circe either of us can be captain has absolutely nothing to do with it.