Author Topic: Smells in space  (Read 862 times)

Smells in space
« on: 28 June, 2020, 10:17:39 pm »
How do we know what space smells like? Electronic sniffing or WHY?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Smells in space
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2020, 10:40:43 pm »
I think the sense of smell is dependent on there being an atmosphere of air to carry volatile substances to dissolve in the nose to be sensed.

I don't think this is possible out there.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 28 June, 2020, 10:58:36 pm »
IIRC astronauts have reported a distinctive smell when opening re-pressurised airlocks.  Presumably that's outgassing from whatever materials have been exposed to vacuum/extreme temperature/sunlight, rather than space itself.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2020, 09:35:28 am »
In space, no one can hear you sniff.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: 29 June, 2020, 09:44:42 am »
The Apollo Astronauts reported the moon rock smells like gunpowder, which I think has a fair amount of sulphur in it so various chemicals must intermingle in the vastness of space?
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 29 June, 2020, 09:51:26 am »
Chemicals will react according to whatever is available to react with, in space or not. IIRC moon rock smelt that way because it was reacting with oxygen in the air.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #7 on: 29 June, 2020, 12:19:19 pm »
Most things we smell are byproducts of chemical interactions. That distinctive metallic smell you get from handling pennies is the iron and copper reduction of lipids on your skin. The smell people associate with metal isn't actually metal, it's this volatile organic that has a very low detection threshold. Same for the smell of blood, you're not smelling blood or the iron in the haem, it's the breakdown of skin organics caused by a transition metal.

It's possible we're so sensitive to these metal-reduced organics because they let us smell blood, so there's an evolutionary selection pressure (for finding injured or dead dinners).

You could probably smell something in space, but it would be in a very cold vacuum, so you wouldn't have mucous membranes for very long. A fart in a spacesuit, on the other hand, is – I imagine – an olfactory gift that keeps on giving.