Author Topic: How many centuries?  (Read 1390 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
How many centuries?
« on: 03 December, 2010, 08:40:22 pm »
I've just been reading "The Boneshaker", journal of the Veteran-Cycle Club.  One of the items (written by Roger Bugg) is about a competition organised by Cycling (now known as Cycling Weekly) that led to the formation of the Century Road Club, just coming up to its own centenary.

Cycling's competition required amateur riders to accumulate rides of 100 miles, considered to be "pleasant recreation"  Speed was immaterial, but only rides completed between between midnight and midnight could be counted.  Races were specifically excluded.  Rides were confirmed with 'checking cards' signed by witnesses and validated by Cycling.  The winner got a gold medal, the next 12 got silver medals and the following 30 collected bronze medals.

The concept sounds not too far removed from Audax.  Completing 20 centuries got a certificate (drafted by Frank Patterson) and the competition totalled about 850,000 miles.  The winning woman completed 60 centuries and covered 18,043 miles.

The kicker for me, a 21 year old Marcel Planes rode 332 centuries in 1911 on a singlespeed coaster-braked roadster!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

border-rider

Re: How many centuries?
« Reply #1 on: 03 December, 2010, 08:48:45 pm »
Fascinating

I have a coaster-braked roadster.  I doubt I'll make 332 centuries on it, ever.