Author Topic: Maps on audax calendar  (Read 8045 times)

Maps on audax calendar
« on: 02 September, 2010, 08:22:01 am »
So how long has this facility been there?  Noticed it for the first time this morning.  Looks good, and clearly addresses the needs of folks wanting a ride from a particular area.

Now, about perms.....

Martin

Re: Maps on audax calendar
« Reply #1 on: 02 September, 2010, 09:00:03 am »
been there for a couple of years at least; The 2008 Irish Mail had it. I just got a screenshot of the Bikely route and uploaded it as a jpeg for my event.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #2 on: 02 September, 2010, 09:08:01 am »
been there for a couple of years at least; The 2008 Irish Mail had it. I just got a screenshot of the Bikely route and uploaded it as a jpeg for my event.
No this is a new thing. If you go to the list of Calendar rides, there is a new option on the 2 line / 3 line bit. It shows the area of the ride on a google map and you can click on different coloured markers (white for 100k, blue for 200k) to see the list of rides from that point.

It's really good for looking at rides near a location.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3 on: 02 September, 2010, 09:09:36 am »
Until folks started mentioning it here, I'd never noticed the "map" choice in the selection boxes at the top of the calendar page.

I'd seen the map links on the individual ride pages before, but never noticed you could see the event list on the map.  Very useful :)  :thumbsup:
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 02 September, 2010, 09:45:51 am »
This is a really great feature

Can anyone work out how to directly link to it?  I can't :)

I'd like to tell the great unwashed about this once the next seasons stuff appears

« Reply #5 on: 02 September, 2010, 09:56:12 am »
Saw this sometime last week, its brilliant.  It pointed my towards an audax in Redhill (William the Conkerer) which I probably would have overlooked otherwise.

« Reply #6 on: 02 September, 2010, 10:01:25 am »
Great feature. Very useful. 

Need some more events  up my neck of the woods though

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #7 on: 02 September, 2010, 10:42:08 am »
i just had a look at the map. discovered the mid-sussex hillier on sept 23rd. then realised it had paypal entry. have entered. couldn't be easier. the map is a very helpful facility. not noticed it before. congratulations to the auk web people. a fine example of that most unusual beast - an IT innovation that
A) is useful
B) does what it is supposed to do and
C) actually works.

now - can whoever set this up come and work where i am please?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #8 on: 02 September, 2010, 01:28:29 pm »
This is a really great feature

Can anyone work out how to directly link to it?  I can't :)

I'd like to tell the great unwashed about this once the next seasons stuff appears

To get the default map as a single frame:-

http://www.aukweb.net/cal/calist4.php?Three=gm

But that doesn't get you any of the other frames (the left hand side nav bar or the top menu bar).

Highlights a point though, one of the only things I dislike about the AUK site is that it doesn't give a valid URL for your current page because it does everything with 'orrible frames underneath.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #9 on: 02 September, 2010, 01:47:16 pm »
Fantastic facility for calendar events.  I'd go as far to say it should be the default view.

:-X permanents  :-X

« Reply #10 on: 02 September, 2010, 02:01:42 pm »
hey that looks good for identifying where rides are  :thumbsup:

Maybe it's even good enough to tempt me out for a ride!    (Other than there don't seem to be many within a short distance of Southend  :'()

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 02 September, 2010, 02:12:05 pm »
i just had a look at the map. discovered the mid-sussex hillier on sept 23rd. then realised it had paypal entry. have entered. couldn't be easier. the map is a very helpful facility. not noticed it before. congratulations to the auk web people. a fine example of that most unusual beast - an IT innovation that
A) is useful
B) does what it is supposed to do and
C) actually works.
D) still lets you use the old ways if you prefer [I imagine some device still out there will struggle showing a google map]

:thumbsup: all round

(I think this is less than a month old, but maybe I'm just unobservant!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #12 on: 02 September, 2010, 05:09:18 pm »
It is a brilliant idea.  But I am still struggling to squeeze down the size of the file to 75kb.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #13 on: 02 September, 2010, 05:51:13 pm »
Fantastic facility for calendar events.  I'd go as far to say it should be the default view.

:-X permanents  :-X
Snow Roads?  ;)

All I need to do now is to work out how to put it on the Event Calendar bit too.  :-[
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #14 on: 02 September, 2010, 06:16:08 pm »
< nips off to have a butcher's>

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #15 on: 02 September, 2010, 06:20:34 pm »
< nips off to have a butcher's>

that's crackin' that is.
Makes planning so convenient
Much credit to whosoever made that happen :thumbsup:

« Reply #16 on: 02 September, 2010, 06:32:07 pm »
I just spent a bit of time falsifying my Honiton start locations so that they aren't exactly on top of one another.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #17 on: 02 September, 2010, 06:45:21 pm »
I just spent a bit of time falsifying my Honiton start locations so that they aren't exactly on top of one another.
That's not very helpful if people want to use that map for finding where the event starts.
It would be more useful to map each event as accurately as possible, then the map should show a different style pin etc for a cluster of events in the same location.

« Reply #18 on: 02 September, 2010, 07:13:49 pm »
Much credit to whosoever made that happen :thumbsup:

This.

I did notice one pin that had "and other events" or something to that effect.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 02 September, 2010, 07:24:27 pm »
That's not very helpful if people want to use that map for finding where the event starts.
It would be more useful to map each event as accurately as possible, then the map should show a different style pin etc for a cluster of events in the same location.
Well ... like many start points, "Honiton" is too vague for you to find the start currently, so we're not much worse off. [Riders usually expect the actual start location to be supplied with the routesheet].
But if Ian has put "43 Skoggy Road, Honiton", then that could be a little misleading!

Clever style pins would be nice, but is extra coding work.

Not sure the answer to this ... someone needs to invent a convention ...  :-\

I've just discovered the map link on the organiser's event page(also jolly clever), so I shall have to rethink this ... !
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #20 on: 02 September, 2010, 08:32:27 pm »
Highlights a point though, one of the only things I dislike about the AUK site is that it doesn't give a valid URL for your current page because it does everything with 'orrible frames underneath.

Agreed. But I love the site for its speed.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: 03 September, 2010, 10:52:17 am »
What would be nice to have:

A URL that takes you straight to the map view showing (say) next 3 months events. This would be a fantastic 'Intro to Audax' link.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

mikewigley

« Reply #22 on: 06 September, 2010, 02:52:16 pm »
Until folks started mentioning it here, I'd never noticed the "map" choice in the selection boxes at the top of the calendar page.

We neither, so thanks for the mention.  While looking at the Calendar for this, I noticed that the Xmas 50 and the Boxing Day 100 are both showing as "date change".  Apparently Christmas Day falls on 25th Dec in 2010, who would have thought it.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #23 on: 13 September, 2010, 06:43:48 pm »

That shouldn't be necessary Ian.  Where the Honiton lat/longs are identical, the map will automatically split them if you zoom in enough
[edit] and the top marker will serve to list all the Honiton events in the wide view.  OTOH, if you falsify say the final digits of the l/l, all that happens is that in the wide view one Honiton event marker just obscures all the others and makes them inaccessible.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #24 on: 13 September, 2010, 11:02:06 pm »

That shouldn't be necessary Ian.  Where the Honiton lat/longs are identical, the map will automatically split them if you zoom in enough...

Ah! Mine weren't quite. I'll go away and try it now.