Author Topic: Bryan Chapman 2012  (Read 99367 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman 2012
« Reply #575 on: 20 May, 2012, 06:30:46 pm »
I have gravel rash in a number of places but I'll live.

Bad luck on the fall bikey-mikey.

The two times I've done the BC, I've been on that Llanberis descent in the dark, and it's a fast one. [I'm sure you were there in daylight though]. From what I can remember it's a good surface, so very easy to really relax into it after the preceeding climb and just let the speed come onto you. It's an exhilarating experience, but I remember plenty of nerves showing up too!

GWS.
Garry Broad

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #576 on: 20 May, 2012, 06:40:45 pm »
Ouch. Sounds like a nasty fall - but as ever, things could have been worse.

Heal up well.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #577 on: 20 May, 2012, 06:50:52 pm »
GWS Mikey

Martin

« Reply #578 on: 20 May, 2012, 07:20:29 pm »
GWS Mikey  :) just avoid any AAA rides for a while  ;)

sounds like the Livestrong helmet was cheaper than a BM bonce!

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #579 on: 20 May, 2012, 07:23:21 pm »
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Mikey.  As VB says, it's a cracking descent and it's easy to be lulled into a false sense of security. I remember having a hairy moment at the bridge a few years ago.  And the BCM will be there next year...
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #580 on: 20 May, 2012, 07:32:17 pm »
A year ago right now I was on the final, never-ending climb.  Ah the memories  :thumbsup:
I take it Toby & co finished a few hours ago?
Tobes yet to finish, I think he may well be going for max vfm
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #581 on: 20 May, 2012, 07:46:42 pm »

Mikey came off on the Llanberis descent last night and was taken to hospital. I think he is mostly in one piece with a broken finger but I don't know any more than this right now as still riding.

I shall be upset with him if he's crocked himself badly enough to DNS the KSW600.

« Reply #582 on: 20 May, 2012, 07:50:50 pm »
A year ago right now I was on the final, never-ending climb.  Ah the memories  :thumbsup:
Now decided to finish
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #583 on: 20 May, 2012, 07:53:26 pm »
Now decided to finish

Tell him from me: it's just not good enough.

« Reply #584 on: 20 May, 2012, 08:01:12 pm »
I have gravel rash in a number of places but I'll live.
Really sorry to hear that Mikey & hope you make a speedy recovery.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #585 on: 20 May, 2012, 08:03:21 pm »
GWS Mikey

Hope you're back on your bike soon  :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #586 on: 20 May, 2012, 11:09:37 pm »
We got round in 39 1/4 hours. Feline's knee playing up slowed us up on day 2. Lots of cretinous driving over the weekend but this afternoon a land rover deliberately swerved at us coming the other way to scare us. Came within inches.

70kph off Llanberis Pass and 75kph this morning off the big climb out of Dolgellau.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #587 on: 20 May, 2012, 11:19:55 pm »
Sorry to hear about this, Mikey. Hope to see you again soon, well and good! Hopefully back on your bike in time for Panoramix's Forest of Dean ride.

Also GWS Feline's knee and may that Land Rover driver be boiled slowly in his own juices. 75kph thouhgh, wooo!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #588 on: 21 May, 2012, 09:20:13 am »
I have cracked a second Livestrong helmet and guys in the observation ward thought I had been fighting Mike Tyson!! (Black eye n thick lip...) Lyn has banned me from riding in N Wales!!!

Get well soon Mike and how about a little time in France with Lyn this year instead of next to help with recovery.

Yes, poop happens some times and thank goodness you are OK (the term OK being relative!).

Cracked helmet?  Thank goodness it was not your head.  Not sure about Livestrong, the helmet should be called Livelong!  I've had 3 accidents, none my fault, and cracked 3 helmets.  I'll crack a helmet any day rather than my head.

Anyway, you must be doing well as you have posted on here; phew, relief to us all!

« Reply #589 on: 21 May, 2012, 09:26:45 am »
GWS Mikey!

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Bryan Chapman 2012
« Reply #590 on: 21 May, 2012, 09:39:23 am »
I'm most grateful for all the GWS messages and rest assured I'm home and I'm fine - I've had much worse!!! Mike Tyson photo is my avatar now!!
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #591 on: 21 May, 2012, 09:51:12 am »
Bryan Chapman Memorial (Classic) it says in the book and Classic it is.  Pleased to add that to my very small list of audax events I have ridden and to complete my SR this year.  Also well aware that BCM must be something special if folk travel from Aderdeen to ride it!

Main memories will be of the incredible work of Mark and all his helpers.  The way Mrs R ran the Menai control when Mark was doing the necessary ‘stuff’ regarding Bikey Mike was outstanding.  While everyone of the helpers were heroes in my eyes, and I am reluctant to highlight any, Kings YH food/service was so elating and to be served breakfast by an audax legend (Jim) at Aberhafesp was something I will remember for a long while (but then it could have been because I was hungry!).

The ride?  Well the scenery was very familiar to me as I have tramped around the hills many times and also driven the roads many times getting to those hills.  I knew what the hills were like but they just don’t seem as hard in the car!

Highlights: service at the controls and finishing
Lowlights: hearing of Mike’s mishap and killing a rabbit on the descent to Dinas-Mawddwy (which could had ended very differently!)

Finally, a massive thanks to Mark for organising this event and the weather which was amazingly good.  I think we all should all volunteer to be at a control at 0400 in the morning to serve tired smelly riders with a smile to get some idea of what it is like and if I might feel a little tired this morning, I bet it is nothing compared to Mark (and his helpers) as quite a few riders will have had more sleep than he got over the weekend and I reckon it’s just as tiring worrying about all us riders!

Glad I did it and I can wait, a very long time, before I even consider doing it again!

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #592 on: 21 May, 2012, 09:58:28 am »
I'm most grateful for all the GWS messages and rest assured I'm home and I'm fine - I've had much worse!!! Mike Tyson photo is my avatar now!!

GWS mikey. was this in the bit after Pen y pass in between drystone walls?

Oooooch, just thinking about it.
Chief cat entertainer.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Bryan Chapman 2012
« Reply #593 on: 21 May, 2012, 10:21:55 am »
I'll put up a Garmin link when the cat gets off my lap cos I don't actually remember. Don't know if lost memory is a consequence of last accident or this one!!!  ;-)
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #594 on: 21 May, 2012, 10:31:01 am »

I saw you before the ambulance arrived, mate.  Glad that you are in good spirits and not too mangled

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #595 on: 21 May, 2012, 10:32:42 am »

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #596 on: 21 May, 2012, 10:58:15 am »
Linky no worky, Vorsprung...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #597 on: 21 May, 2012, 11:15:16 am »
Linky no worky, Vorsprung...

Sorry about that, dunno what happened there  ;D fixed now

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #598 on: 21 May, 2012, 11:59:43 am »
Any of the early birds able to tell me if the A470 service station at the bottom of the Cross Foxes climb is 24 hour?  Looking at DIY options now!
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #599 on: 21 May, 2012, 12:19:01 pm »
You mean the one on the A470/A458 junction?  That opens at 8-ish on a Sunday ISTR
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?cid=17253002736108720687&q=petrol+station&hl=en&authuser=0&cd=1&cad=src:ppiwlink&ei=ViO6T9zREITh8AOZ6uzABg&dtab=2

I did the BCM as a perm a few years ago with Mal Volio and Blah.   Outbound we controlled in Dollegau at the Coop and after Menai we'd booked a bunk at Kings so used the YHA stamp in the morning