Author Topic: Bryan Chapman 2012  (Read 97171 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Bryan Chapman 2012
« Reply #625 on: 21 May, 2012, 09:40:47 pm »
Maverick, Simon & Feanor at the beginning:

IMG_0307 by The Pingus, on Flickr

SimonP  & Feline at the first control:

IMG_0308 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Unknown rider Akin at Barmouth:

IMG_0315 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Piccies

« Reply #626 on: 21 May, 2012, 09:53:00 pm »
The unknown rider in the photo is Akin.

Great ride, many thanks Mark et al for your fantastic support during what must have been a testing year for you, hugely appreciated.  GWS Bikey-Mikey. 

Had a steaming return to Chepstow with James and Mel K on the last section to make it in under 35hrs (many thanks both).

Of all the massive hills, the hardest for me is a close toss up between the YHA for the 2nd time and that tough little gravelly lane on the way to Weobly.  Thanks to James, Julian, Akin, Paul for the on-off company.  Great to see Filthy again and big congrats to those on fixed (chapeau).

Now back to bed again!

« Reply #627 on: 21 May, 2012, 10:37:57 pm »
The last picture above is me Pingu. I would like a copy if it could be arranged. Shame about the strange facial expression, it is a result of me trying to look stoic, then you making me laugh.

Good to ride with Lordy early on, we were going well until the side wall of my rear tire exploded. Despite Nuncio pointing out up thread my previous falls on Welsh soil I remained upright and even had a spare tyre to solve the problem.

Got to Menai in the light which was my aim for day one, and then back to the Hostel much earlier then previous attempts despite my rear guard bridge breaking on the night sections. Managed to zip tie it up for the rest of the ride.

Rode most of the second day with Rottenhat, who I had not seen for a few years since another scenic welsh excursion. The company was most appreciated.

Thanks very much to Mark and all the helpers, I had a great time once again. Will no doubt see you on one of your other rides,

GWS Mikey, hopefully speak to you again on the road soon.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #628 on: 21 May, 2012, 10:51:11 pm »
Thanks to Blacksheep for organisation (esp. for getting Menai sorted out) & his helpers.

Had a great ride with some cracking climbs (apart from that barsteward just before Monmouth) & company. Good to see some new faces  :)

Well done to all those who did this as a first 600.

GWS BikeyMikey.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #629 on: 21 May, 2012, 10:57:57 pm »
The last picture above is me Pingu. I would like a copy if it could be arranged. Shame about the strange facial expression, it is a result of me trying to look stoic, then you making me laugh.

The full sized JPEG piccy is here (3.5 Mb). If you want a RAW file then PM me with details of where to send it.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #630 on: 22 May, 2012, 10:38:54 am »
It didn't spoil a brilliant weekend, but I have to say this was the worst traffic (and driver impatience) I've encountered on a Welsh ride. Saturday morning roads seemed much busier than 4 years ago.

A couple of riders I spoke to agreed - anyone know the cause? Just a statistical blip?

(I can't blame the roadworks - they don't actually increase the traffic count, and we had impatient drivers in areas unaffected by the bloody things. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #631 on: 22 May, 2012, 10:49:56 am »
There was a small holding show on at Builth - maybe that was something to do with it. 

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #632 on: 22 May, 2012, 10:52:32 am »
Did anyone else encounter that near-death experinence during the first 100k?  You know?; when that moron in the white van attempted to overtake the peleton and then had to swerve onto the grass verge on the OTHER side of the road, narrowly missing the oncomming traffic as he skidded up into the hedge.

« Reply #633 on: 22 May, 2012, 10:53:56 am »
It didn't spoil a brilliant weekend, but I have to say this was the worst traffic (and driver impatience) I've encountered on a Welsh ride. Saturday morning roads seemed much busier than 4 years ago.
I noticed that. I thought it was just me being grumpy, but that's my usual mode on such roads anyway. But it contrasted with my recollection of last year. At least it was a yob-free ride, which hasn't always been the case for my forays into Dragon-land!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #634 on: 22 May, 2012, 11:02:58 am »
There was a small holding show on at Builth - maybe that was something to do with it.
I'm not sure ... there is a big event on almost every time I go to Builth! And it got bad again heading North away from BW later on. :(

@Jonah:
Yep, I was there! Couldn't believe what I saw really. On the one hand, WVM really should have waited for a better moment; on-the-other, he put himself on the verge, at great risk, rather than risk squeezing the bunch into the gutter. (Had I found myself in the same position, I think I'd have chosen the squeeze if I'm honest).
As I watched this develop, and saw WVM get back onto the road in 1 piece, I fully expected him to hang around and give the peloton an earful. But no; he just drove off on his merry way, as if this was a standard Saturday morning manouevre!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #635 on: 22 May, 2012, 11:15:35 am »

Pete, well done on the BCM dear boy  :thumbsup:

Just one thing; did you know that there are some very fine rides close to where you live?

I expect I will be visiting these lands later in the year (when I am unbroken) to finish the SR and could do with some company.

H

I did consider the Wessex SR when first mooted, but found I had a clash of dates, may have been washing my hair that weekend or something.
Always happy to ride with you though, but didnt know you were broken, what have I missed?

« Reply #636 on: 22 May, 2012, 11:51:46 am »
A couple of riders I spoke to agreed - anyone know the cause? Just a statistical blip?
(I can't blame the roadworks - they don't actually increase the traffic count, and we had impatient drivers in areas unaffected by the bloody things. )
I was in a white van all w/e, although I can't claim to be the stunt driver.

And I must say that I was very impressed the way that many of the cyclists did whatever they could to let me pass. I'm sure that they couldn't have known that their provisions for the rest of the ride were on-board - so well done to you all.

Traffic lights probably had an effect, but this would only been apparent for a short distance after passing them. From a driver's perspective - trying to get from Chepstow to Bronllys to Dolgellau, to Menai. It was very hard work at times, due to cars travelling at quite lowly speeds, here I'm talking about sub 30mph in areas where the NSL existed. This not only hindered me quite considerably - but also many HGV vehicles, this did tend to force the traffic into slugs. So from a cyclists perspective this would have concentrated the apparent traffic.

We were also treated to some spectacular stunt car antics, so perhaps it's also (sadly) a sign of the times.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #637 on: 22 May, 2012, 12:15:03 pm »

This was my first ride in Wales, I found the standards of driving to be pretty poor in general but on the whole no worse than what I've seen in the Borders area of Scotland (on the main A roads). The roads were busier though, so there were more close overtakes than I usually experience. Why the motons do this when there is plenty of space on the other side of the road is beyond me.

A few of us seem to have been the victim of a pariculalrly aggressive tanker driver on the climbs just before the first approach to Dolgellau  :demon:

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #638 on: 22 May, 2012, 12:21:19 pm »
Thank you again BlackSheep for a most excellent ride - myself and the rest of CC Hackney enjoyed the entire experience immensley

best regards,
Justin

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #639 on: 22 May, 2012, 12:23:53 pm »
Sounds like an event or two conspiring to make it a little worse than normal - I made the mistake of using the A470 in the summer holidays last year and then heading past all the N.Wales caravan site type resorts to boot. Close caravans and teenagers all out in their knackered old hatches made for some rather unpleasant riding at time. Of course this just served to make the A5 an even greater pleasure for the night section to Shrewsbury ;D
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #640 on: 22 May, 2012, 12:50:43 pm »
Hello,

Great to see you all on the road and glad the pink tamden riders got round  ;)

Thank you for Mark and Lou organising this.  The best BCM that I have riden and weather very unusual.

Sorry to hear about Mikey Bike's Accident and hope he has a speedy recovery,

Also, great meal at http://www.aslanscafe.co.uk/index.htm

Joolz

« Reply #641 on: 22 May, 2012, 01:27:19 pm »
What a ride! Many many thanks to Mark and Louise and all the other helpers who all did so much to make this the epic ride that it is!

I should say now, I am a crap photographer especially when on the back of a tandem and wearing long fingered gloves, so I appologise for the quality of my pictures!

Bulwark Community Centre, 6am start

Somewhere near Monmouth Usk.

So far its overcast and pretty cold, but we are simply overjoyed it is not wet!

Did I mention how crap my photography skills are?

Bronllys Control 72km. I had fried egg on toast, just what I needed and the service was very fast, in and out in 22 minutes.

Nant Yr Arian control at 154km. At this stage the sun is trying to shine. I thought we were supposed to be in Wales!

Waiting at one of the sections of roadworks. These proved not to be a huge problem as the lights were all good at detecting cyclists and would turn to green as you got there if nothing was coming the other way.

Lots and lots of sheep. Great scenery to look at, and on the back I can really soak in the views! We managed the first 200km in 9 hours, so far so good.

Crossing the Barmouth Bridge at about 240km

The mountains are coming! The lakes here remind me of Scottish Lochs.

Starting the climb of Pen-Y-Pass

Getting overtaken. We were expecting this to happen twiddling up there on a lowish gear.

Finally at the summit, and the setting sun looks alsolutely splendid. An impromptu gathering eats and puts on some warmer clothes for the descent. We have managed the first 300km in 15 hours which I am more than pleased with.

Arriving at Menai (313km) just as it's getting dark.

The scouts hut control. Considering how last minute sorting this control had ended up being it was a splendid facility, lovely and warm and Louise as cheerful as ever serving much appreciated hot soup and rice pudding with fruit.

At this stage I put the camera away in the pannier since it was dark. The stage back to Kings seemed to take ages as always when you're riding towards your bed I tend to find. Tiredness was definitely affecting my power output and Simon was finding things a bit of a strain because of it. But it wasn't long after 2am when we made it. After some food I collapsed into a wonderfully comfortable bunk bed (with a duvet!!) for a lovely 4 hours sleep. This was more sleep than I could ever have dreamed of having on this ride.

I was woken at 7am as promised and we had breakfast then set out into the second day. Immediately as we left I was having an accute stabbing pain in my right knee. I have had a few problems with it this season with just a low grade nagging kind of pain, but this was on another level altogether. We soon stopped and I took some Vitamin I (Ibuprofen) and hoped that as we got warmed up things would improve. The first climb certainly warmed me but did nothing for my knee. I limped into Aberhafesp at 461k wondering how on the earth I was going to finish the ride.

By the time we got to Woebley ay 540km the sun was shining and we joined a pack of tired hungry Audaxers feeding on junk food from the village shop and lounging around on the little green. It all felt much too relaxed for the second day of a 600!

The last section proved to be a bit of a trial for me. My attempt at peeing in a hedge with a Sheewee was not entirely sucessful and resulted in me changing into my other shorts whilst hoping a car or rider wouldn't come round the corner! We had to make several stops to stretch my knee and try and relieve the pain. I maxed out my Vitamin I dose and rubbed some of Simon's Ibuprofen gel into the knee too for good measure. We stopped at a very nice pub for a coffee outside in the sun. I said to Simon that despite only having about 50km to go, if I had been riding on a solo I didn't think with my knee in that state I would have been able to finish. I was by now riding pretty much just with one leg. Llancloudy was not very enjoyable. I swore, lots. The last time I went through pain like this I was offered gas and air in a hospital and there was a baby at the end of it!

Another knee stretch stop passing Tintern resulted in another photo oportunity!

We finally rolled into Chepstow a few minutes after 39 hours, about an hour later than we had really been planning to finish. I couldn't be more pleased we got round it in time and had 4 hours sleep to boot.
Thanks again to Mark, Louise and all the helpers. This is a ride to remember for a long time to come, and mostly for good reasons!!

« Reply #642 on: 22 May, 2012, 02:02:52 pm »
Great RR and Pix Feline  :thumbsup: .

I think the "Somewhere near Monmouth" pic might be Usk. Which would fit in with the order of the Pix.

On a galactic scale, Usk is "Somewhere near Monmouth".  ;)
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #643 on: 22 May, 2012, 02:09:17 pm »

I think the "Somewhere near Monmouth" pic might be Usk. Which would fit in with the order of the Pix.

On a galactic scale, Usk is "Somewhere near Monmouth".  ;)

There used to be a bench about 3.5 cm NNE of Simon's right ear - very useful on the Brevet Cymru for 40 winks before the Llangwm climb.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

GrahamG

« Reply #644 on: 22 May, 2012, 02:18:08 pm »
Mystery Bristol South member spotted again!

Anyone know who it is? I've asked a few bods in the club but no-one seems to know!

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #645 on: 22 May, 2012, 02:26:58 pm »

Excellent gonzo photo montage.  Makes me long for those Welsh rides I used to do (Now in Perth, WA).

Jealous of you all who finished.

« Reply #646 on: 22 May, 2012, 02:33:38 pm »

Anyone know who it is? I've asked a few bods in the club but no-one seems to know!

Neil V did tell me his name early on Saturday morning, but alas forgotten however he will know.

« Reply #647 on: 22 May, 2012, 02:40:40 pm »

Neil V did tell me his name early on Saturday morning, but alas forgotten however he will know.

I expect Neil V told you the mystery Bristol South rider's name was Alex Foster

GrahamG

« Reply #648 on: 22 May, 2012, 02:54:13 pm »
Cheers! We like to give riders a bit of credit where it's due on our website newsfeed - races, audaxes, far-flung tours etc..

« Reply #649 on: 22 May, 2012, 04:39:39 pm »
You beat me to it, that is indeed Alex.

Nice to see some pictures from part of the pack that I was in  :) It looks like the tandem arrived in Woebley just after we left.

I've got a swollen left ankle and some great memories. I saw Pen y Pas in daylight, didn't get wet and got two hours kip, result.

Thanks Mark, Louise and all the helpers.