Author Topic: I could have commuted in today but...  (Read 100794 times)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Re: I could have commuted in today but...
« Reply #200 on: 11 April, 2011, 08:33:30 pm »
... I'm on holiday.  My holiday house is 25 miles away from where I was doing my volunteering, the only bike is a Brommie with flat tyres, there's a nasty hissing noise when I screw on the 1960's pump, I've hired a car, the roads are quite empty, and I had to be there at 0830.

I had a fabulous time.  I managed to delay two trains by 10-15 mins each, by dint of not putting a certain lever back into the frame hard enough.

Lie-in tomorrow.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #201 on: 11 April, 2011, 09:09:52 pm »
... I've been in Edinburgh since Saturday. It's a much more interesting place to cycle around than London. I covered all the points of the compass while revisiting old haunts (Sneaky Pete's is still going!) and didn't find any hills I couldn't manage on a 70 inch gear;)

Mind you, cycling down Frederick Street, I found the combination of cobbles, steep incline, well inflated slick 25s, clipless pedals and fixed gear to be quite exciting. It's one way to find out if any of your components - or fillings - are loose.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #202 on: 12 April, 2011, 10:07:08 pm »
First week of the school holidays and I'm doing childcare ...

... which is fine.  I may manage some fettling.

« Reply #203 on: 27 April, 2011, 09:44:46 am »
My knee has been sore/watery since I spent 5 hours crouched on angle-iron struts, prepping for painting. My family kept me up until 1:30am again, and I have to get up at 6:30 for work.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #204 on: 27 April, 2011, 09:55:45 am »
Still haven't sorted out the child seat on the commuting bike so I had to do the nursery run on foot today.

However, I'm at home so I can go out to do a few laps of the park at lunch time to get my legs sorted out for the 400 at the weekend.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #205 on: 27 April, 2011, 01:49:21 pm »
The foot and the knee, they say "no".

Will do it tomorrow, though :)

« Reply #206 on: 27 April, 2011, 03:53:47 pm »
I was planning on commuting in on the commuter, but it's still in bits scattered around the house.

I could have used Red, but I get a bit nervous of leaving him locked up in the work bike store (which isn't all that secure).

So, I just chickened out again, and at least I'll be rested when I get home, and need to get into heavy bike fettling.
Actually, it is rocket science.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #207 on: 29 April, 2011, 11:10:50 am »
Haven't commuted in all week, on account of holidaying in Mull to avoid the wedding.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #208 on: 16 May, 2011, 04:47:18 pm »
..I did the Bryan Chapman Memorial 600km at the weekend.  My right achilles tendon is feeling much better today  but I was hoping to do the Irish Mail 400km next weekend so it's got to recover.
So I'm doing RICE, Rest-Ice-Compression-Elevation

Rest= don't commute :(
Ice= morning and evening a few minutes with an ice pack
Compression= just got a tubigrip bandage on :)
Elevation= put my feet up on a cushion while asleep

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #209 on: 24 May, 2011, 09:14:21 am »
I am back on the treatment above.  It worked sufficiently to get me over Snowdonia once but on the return trip my Achillies just got worse and worse.  This was for the Irish Mail 400

I can barely walk at the moment but it is better than yesterday :)

And I've now done the qualifying series for Paris :)

« Reply #210 on: 24 May, 2011, 09:59:14 am »
 . . . I really didn't fancy the A64 with 60mph gusts.

(car-commuting colleague said he had trouble *driving*)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #211 on: 26 May, 2011, 09:21:43 am »
Rear brake was rubbing slightly yesterday. So I slept in, thought "I'll just tweak the spokes, true that wheel up a bit". Ah. Broken spoke. Drive side. buggeration.

Contemplated switching rack over to other bike, realised I was already 30 min late and caught the train.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #212 on: 02 June, 2011, 12:24:49 pm »
I left work very late last night so a co-worker gave me a lift.  So this morning I walked, sat on train walked instead. 2 hours.  1hr walking 35 minutes on train 25 minutes waiting for trains. If' I planned it better I could have avoided most of the waiting.  I enjoyed the walking.  Bike home.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #213 on: 03 June, 2011, 06:43:10 pm »
... I was on Holiday, camping with many wonderful people from this manor.  Ride reports will follow.  But maybe not from me.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #214 on: 04 June, 2011, 12:55:45 am »
^^^^
I have the same excuse 8)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #215 on: 13 June, 2011, 02:42:55 pm »
... I'm suited and booted today as I had to give a seminar this morning.  I didn't even bother with a BorisBike and took the Tube the whole way - a journey which took 1.5 times to normal amount of time.   :(  Then there were the pedestrians and fellow tube users I encountered.  >:( 

I'm beginning to think I prefer cycling in to work because I have few direct interactions with my fellow Londoners when I eschew public transport.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #216 on: 13 June, 2011, 05:52:22 pm »
I'm beginning to think I prefer cycling in to work because I have few direct interactions with my fellow Londoners when I eschew public transport.

Yes, but most of the time on public transport in London, it's not a few interactions with others, since you're jammed into a carriage like a sardine. :-\

At least I'll generally have the luxury of travelling after the rush hour periods for the next couple of months.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #217 on: 13 June, 2011, 06:04:32 pm »
I have been on leave all last week and today. Back in tomorrow. But I am so stiff from the church street party yesterday that I doubt I will ride tomorrow.  :(

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #218 on: 13 June, 2011, 06:13:33 pm »
It was my day 'off'.  So instead I did the 45 minute round trip to school with boys and buggys and stuff.  3 times so far - and fixed three technical problems whilst I was there :-\  And if my boy stops dancing half-naked around the living room and finally puts his [insert swearword of choice here] karate kit on and my other boy gets a wriggle on with his tea we can go for round trip number 4  ::-)

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #219 on: 14 June, 2011, 05:06:00 pm »
... it would have been a 10 hour round trip (meeting).  No-one would have thanked me.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #220 on: 22 June, 2011, 12:06:27 pm »
I drank a large amount at LFGSS South East drinks, last night, and I had to bring some bicycle wheels into work.  So I took the train.

Luckily, I have another bike at work, so I can always ride home if I want ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #221 on: 27 June, 2011, 11:28:57 am »
Struck by a headache with increased visual disturbance.  Could be a migraine, I suppose, but I haven't had one for a long time, so I'm deciding not...
Getting there...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #222 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:03:13 am »
Mrs V suggested I could pick up V Jnr and her mates from her art class in Simonsburrow
It's a nice day today but maybe I will be able to get bike to the pub tonight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #223 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:40:13 am »
...my left Achilles tendon is still painfully sore after last Sunday's ride.  :(

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #224 on: 14 July, 2011, 09:25:38 am »
...it's Vorsprung Jnrs art class again