Author Topic: What's in a name?  (Read 3254 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: What's in a name?
« Reply #25 on: 10 February, 2015, 01:51:45 pm »
That other "killer" Hell of the Ashdown does not quite qualify for AAA

"Hell of the..." seems to be another fairly common epithet in Sportiveland. Not entirely surprised to hear that it isn't always deserved.

But if it draws the punters, the name has at least done its job as a marketing tool. Can't really argue against it on that score.
I think folks just find the names a bit wanky.

I can't recall anyone saying:
"Ha! Those stoopid Sportive organisers - if they gave their events sensible names, they'd get looooads of riders!"

;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #26 on: 10 February, 2015, 02:14:44 pm »
Hey!

Anyone going on the Raid Marsh Gibbon?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27 on: 10 February, 2015, 02:30:37 pm »

It's marketing, of course it's wanky!

ITYM The Hell of the Marsh Gibbon. You could buy a load of 1YTT supporters jerseys from Milltag, charge the price of the jersey as the entry fee, stick them in plastic bags along with an energy gel and some special offer leaflets culled from the Sunday papers and hand them out at the finish as goody bags.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Martin

« Reply #28 on: 10 February, 2015, 02:57:08 pm »
I was just checking the cyclosport website to see if anyone's ripped off the Ditchling Devil, and did notice a high proportion of wanky sportive names.

I also saw you could filter the calendar to look for Audax rides only; there's a few on there, I wonder what the effect will be on entries

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 10 February, 2015, 03:07:46 pm »

ITYM The Hell of the Marsh Gibbon.

Gibbon Grinder, shirley?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #30 on: 10 February, 2015, 03:09:19 pm »

ITYM The Hell of the Marsh Gibbon. You could buy a load of 1YTT supporters jerseys from Milltag, charge the price of the jersey as the entry fee, stick them in plastic bags along with an energy gel and some special offer leaflets culled from the Sunday papers and hand them out at the finish as goody bags.

The shirts are all XXXXL or XS
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #31 on: 10 February, 2015, 03:30:58 pm »
Apologies if this turns into a bit of a life story.

I had a few years away from the cycling scene due to work and family life getting in the way then about 2.5 years ago some work colleagues talked me into doing a charity LeJog ride, have put on a few stone I needed to get fit. I was talked into riding the 2012 Bristol Belter Sportive as my group of work colleagues were riding it, I ended up doing another in 2012 followed by around 6 or 7 during 2013 as the cycling bug re-awakened, 2014 saw me doing another 8 sportive events and feeling a bit disenchanted with them mainly due to the value for money bit.

I re-found Audax  end of last year having had a gap of some 20+ years from my last Audax event, and have now ridden two events this year, the biggest difference between sportives and Audax's are the people who ride them. Audax's are far more friendly ridden by friendly and chatty people, I found getting told to get out of the way as some Pinarello'd pleb who's has more money than class rather annoying after a while, and the entry fees are ridiculous I found myself openly questioning what I got for my £30+

The rather naff names are par for the course in sportive land, I never rode any based on the name it was mostly where the route took me rather than being called Merlin's Dragon Killer or whatever.

Anyway having said all of that July see's me riding a certain Italian Sportive  ::-)

Eddington Number 75

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #32 on: 10 February, 2015, 06:13:42 pm »

ITYM The Hell of the Marsh Gibbon.

Gibbon Grinder, shirley?
Excellent. Give that woman an online marketing degree now!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #33 on: 10 February, 2015, 07:25:07 pm »
Gibbon Grinder sounds like it ought to be an entry in Roger's Profanisaurus.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #34 on: 10 February, 2015, 07:35:59 pm »
Or a new way to make lasagne.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #35 on: 11 February, 2015, 07:00:10 am »
Hell of the Hylobatidae.

« Reply #36 on: 11 February, 2015, 07:02:57 am »

The shirts are all XXXXL or XS

Who are you expecting? Laurel and Hardy?

citoyen

« Reply #37 on: 01 March, 2015, 12:26:20 pm »
For anyone who is interested, I have persuaded my friend to do the Invicta Grimpeur next weekend. :thumbsup:

I told him there would be more cake than on his sportives. I think that's what sold it to him. Or maybe it was my description of Yorks Hill.