Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 471286 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2550 on: 12 July, 2019, 02:46:08 pm »
Of course not, the Boon tandem was much stronger than any tandem with me on it.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2551 on: 01 October, 2019, 09:51:55 am »
The new issue of Arrivee, which was held back for PBP reports, should be landing on doormats any day now.

The next issue will be in mid-November, so contributions are urgently required. Non-PBP stories will be particularly welcomed!

As always, good quality photos are needed too.

The editor is gedlennox@me.com
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #2552 on: 01 October, 2019, 01:38:34 pm »
Great issue - fab read from QG and the lentil roll things don't sound half bad at all.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #2553 on: 01 October, 2019, 02:32:57 pm »
My breakthrough in journalism-PBP report included.
Don't think that I'll give up the day job just yet.

Phil W

« Reply #2554 on: 01 October, 2019, 02:35:42 pm »
Nice article from QG.  It takes guts to revist the scene of a failure, and turn it into such a resounding success the second time.

« Reply #2555 on: 01 October, 2019, 04:06:40 pm »
Nice article from QG.  It takes guts to revist the scene of a failure, and turn it into such a resounding success the second time.
Superb article: I found it gripping to read.

Thank you for writing it, QG, and well done and chapeau on the actual ride!.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2556 on: 01 October, 2019, 06:53:28 pm »
Only skim read it so far, and then just to get to some pictures of snow.
Quite interesting reading over something you've written after it's been edited a few months later and aren't totally sure whats been added for interest by the editor.  :)
thanks Redlight  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2557 on: 01 October, 2019, 07:53:59 pm »
My son just had a look at it with his graphic design eyes in. He thinks it's mostly really pretty good, especially the use of photos, but there are too many text boxes in some articles where there is only one story (so the text boxes on pp34-38 and 42-47 make sense to him as they distinguish between different stories or subjects, but in some articles the text in boxes when it does not need to be distinguished from anything). The overall magazine he reckons is far better designed than some of the adverts! And he's got nothing to say about the content as he's not a cyclist, even if he does recognize one of the people featured!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2558 on: 01 October, 2019, 08:50:52 pm »
Speaking of the ads, I do like the one with 1997 vintage WordArt ;) A really good selection of topics in this issue.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #2559 on: 02 October, 2019, 07:42:54 am »
My son just had a look at it with his graphic design eyes in.

OOI I wonder if he could guess what the title of the magazine was by looking at the front cover...   ;)

Mine arrived yesterday - looking forward to having a read...   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #2560 on: 02 October, 2019, 10:20:11 pm »
Unfortunately, in editing my brief PBP article to fit the space, they've turned the first bit to confusing nonsense.  They've completely removed my knee (vital to the story), but never mind.
The full version is here:  http://www.ukcyclist.co.uk/reports-articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2561 on: 03 October, 2019, 04:44:35 pm »
And today CTCUK Cycle magazine arrived, so he compared the two.  ;) He prefers the page layout of Cycle magazine – simpler, clearer – but says Arrivee is much easier to read. He's not talking about the writing but the overall layout of the whole magazine. He prefers Arrivee's use of themed layouts, so each article has a slightly different look, and even more so, the fact that each of Arrivee's stories reads consistently from page to page. This he contrasts with Cycle's layout which breaks up stories with adverts and by not using double-page spreads. Obviously the adverts have been paid for and Arrivee doesn't have many. Even more he appreciates Arrivee's grouping of stories compared to Cycle's splitting up of what could be one section (the various one-page reviews) into many separate sections. And Arrivee has a more active, interesting cover, without the distracting oddly interrupted border. All in all I think that's a win for a small team of volunteers over a larger organisation's professionals! (He's got nothing to say about the actual content of course... )
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2562 on: 10 October, 2019, 05:41:11 pm »
Just curious, did anyone who's living in the Netherlands (or other non-UK country) receive their Arrivée yet?

« Reply #2563 on: 10 October, 2019, 06:29:11 pm »
Just curious, did anyone who's living in the Netherlands (or other non-UK country) receive their Arrivée yet?

Hasn't arrived here yet

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2564 on: 10 October, 2019, 07:44:25 pm »
Can you pm or email your name/membership number to membership@audax.uk and I can double check you were on the mailing list, although I am reasonably confident you all were.
Any other overseas feedback welcome please.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2565 on: 10 October, 2019, 08:27:02 pm »
Hadn't arrived when I checked this morning.

Wouldn't be surprised if it takes a while. It usually arrives after this thread has died down from the locals receiving and discussing it...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2566 on: 15 October, 2019, 09:30:43 pm »
Have any overseas members received theirs yet?  Particularly interested in feedback from the Netherlands as I now have a couple of reports of non-delivery and before resending I just want to see if we have a generic problem I need to take up with the printer before I spend lots of AUK money on sending them again.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2567 on: 15 October, 2019, 09:34:44 pm »
Have any overseas members received theirs yet?  Particularly interested in feedback from the Netherlands as I now have a couple of reports of non-delivery and before resending I just want to see if we have a generic problem I need to take up with the printer before I spend lots of AUK money on sending them again.

Still nothing in Amsterdam.

J
--

« Reply #2568 on: 16 October, 2019, 07:48:25 pm »

Still nothing in Amsterdam.

J

Same here, but I would be okay with AUK sending a pdf (or another format most people can view) to members residing in the Netherlands for this issue. It seems wasteful to send another physical copy. It'll probably show up eventually, anyway.

But the issue should be resolved for future issues.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2569 on: 17 October, 2019, 12:30:27 pm »
Hello all, many apologies to all overseas members. I have contacted our printers and the mailing company made an error and failed to send the overseas magazines. They should be sent out today so hopefully will be with you all soon.
Please pass the word around if you know any other overseas members, also feedback to confirm receipt would be appreciated.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2570 on: 17 October, 2019, 04:54:58 pm »

Excellent news.

Thanks!

J
--

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2571 on: 19 October, 2019, 01:16:30 pm »
Was delivered to my (Dutch) mailbox this morning  :)  Thanks for looking into the matter Caroline!

Peter

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #2572 on: 19 October, 2019, 03:48:58 pm »
Has publishing them online stopped these days?

I suspect my copy has fallen somewhere in between the cracks of changing my address and mail forwarding kicking in etc.

I don’t need a paper copy, but just went looking online, but equally, I never know which AUK website to use for what.

Anyone got a link to the latest issue?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

S2L

« Reply #2573 on: 19 October, 2019, 05:16:22 pm »
Has publishing them online stopped these days?

I suspect my copy has fallen somewhere in between the cracks of changing my address and mail forwarding kicking in etc.

I don’t need a paper copy, but just went looking online, but equally, I never know which AUK website to use for what.

Anyone got a link to the latest issue?

Online issues haven't been updated since 2017. There is a thread on the AUK forum, if you want to know more

« Reply #2574 on: 19 October, 2019, 09:38:34 pm »
Was delivered to my (Dutch) mailbox this morning  :)  Thanks for looking into the matter Caroline!

Peter

Arrived here as well