Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Pub / Quote for works v Works carried out
« Last post by Blazer on Today at 06:30:50 pm »
Hi,

I was quoted £325 for some works which was broken down to include "2 men...one day". I was happy with the overall price compared to other quotes so proceeded.

When it came to the works, 1 man was on site for 5 hours (inc travel time for materials because it was sub'ed to someone else who had not come with any materials).

I was happy with what they did so paid. I deal with contracts all the time at work so just want an 'easy time' at home. But the fact that it took such less 'labour' than quoted has left a bit of a sore taste.

What would the collective have done in my position?

TIA

I mean to do one this summer before moving to Shropshire.  It's only 67 miles, for goodness' sake.
The Sporting Life / Re: Southend Football
« Last post by bobb on Today at 06:27:50 pm »
FFS. Braintree were 2 nill up right up until the 89th minute. Then Chelmsford scored twice to take it to extra time! Then Braino scored again to win 3-2  ::-)
Up in London's Famous London today, helping marshall The Tweed Run (great fun btw). We finish at Spa Fields. I go into The Bourne and Hollingsworth building to buy a pint of BEER. That'll be £7.13. <faints>. I know I'm in London and they need to pay for the streets to be paved in gold, but that made me wince. Delving further, it's £6.50 for the beer plus 12.5% service. I'm not quite sure what service was involved in pouring a pint of beer into a plastic glass.
The Pub / Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Last post by Mrs Pingu on Today at 05:44:28 pm »
I'm on the Niwaki website...

In a fit of sense, I decided that the likelihood of me wiping and oiling a set of carbon steel secateurs every time I use them without fail was probably nil, so I didn't buy. Need to find a suitable lazy git's alternative.
The Sporting Life / Re: County Cricket 2024
« Last post by Wowbagger on Today at 05:43:27 pm »
Yes, the Essex batsmen have done well. Given the state of the forecast, their best bet is to try to get maximum batting points if they can, but that's still a long way away.

Talking of extras, I was at a match a long time ago - Gooch scored 139 or thereabouts, and at the time it was his best first-class score - in which extras topped 50. There was a big round of applause for them. That was at Chalkwell Park, and I'm sure it was 1976, the last time Essex played at Chalkwell Park. Worcestershire were the opponents. I recall that Basil d'Oliveira and Imran Khan were in their team.

Edit: this one. I hope that's visible - google found that page straight away, but I have a login for the Wisden website.

Surrey look as though they are heading for another big win. They are being held up by rain at the moment, but I think their forecast, at the Oval, is for pretty good weather compared to Chester-le-Street.
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by robgul on Today at 05:40:26 pm »
Fitted a new chainring to a customer's bike - the old one had virtually no teeth and he wondered why it kept throwing the chain.   Also fitted gear cables to the same machine . . .  don't you just love frames with internal cabling.
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by CAMRAMan on Today at 05:38:04 pm »
Again and Again - Status Quo
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by quixoticgeek on Today at 05:36:28 pm »

https://www.strava.com/activities/1378437082

This is the Strava entry for my first ever Audax.

Looks like I averaged 18.5kph.

I was running Schwalbe Marathon green guard tyres. I replaced them with Conti GP4k immediately after.

J
OT Knowledge / Re: Underfloor heating pros / cons
« Last post by hellymedic on Today at 05:33:07 pm »
Beware that UFH can KILL pianos!

I wasn’t going to post this while a bathroom was being discussed!
I bet Liberace had one in a bathroom.

I’l ask D, who visited his abode in 2017...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10