Author Topic: London-Wales-London  (Read 67572 times)

AK

• Bloggy blog
Re: London-Wales-London
« Reply #250 on: 18 April, 2018, 10:33:32 am »
Anyone staying in the hall the night before who wants to go for a beer?

Had a look on the website but cannot see any information on booking this. Anyone able to give me a steer? Cheers. 👍

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #251 on: 18 April, 2018, 11:19:40 am »
Perhaps drop the org an email.

My top tip - don't rely on CO2 to get you sorted on punctures and carry a pump and more than a couple of tubes. 

Other than that, have a great ride and don't forget to pay for breakfast at the first control!  :thumbsup: (a lot thought it was free last year)
Regards,

Joergen

whosatthewheel

« Reply #252 on: 18 April, 2018, 12:05:08 pm »

Had a look on the website but cannot see any information on booking this. Anyone able to give me a steer? Cheers. 👍

Yes, just let Liam know you will be staying on the floor of the hall. You need to bring your own sleeping bad etc...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #253 on: 18 April, 2018, 12:08:45 pm »

Other than that, have a great ride and don't forget to pay for breakfast at the first control!

It says food at Woodstock is included... maybe it wasn't last year

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #254 on: 18 April, 2018, 12:15:23 pm »

Other than that, have a great ride and don't forget to pay for breakfast at the first control!

It says food at Woodstock is included... maybe it wasn't last year

I'm not on this year but might be a lesson from last year.  It was a great breakfast but quite a few thought it was already included and subsequently eat and then left... (I don't think the signs were that visible iirc)

Regards,

Joergen

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #255 on: 18 April, 2018, 04:44:29 pm »
Yes, if youre planning to stay over the thing to do is mail Liam so he knows how many mugs of cocoa to make. 

You'll need a bag plus mat, but can leave them with Liam whilst youre out enjoing yourself.

Normal drill is to meet up at the The White Hart in the village and then walk round to the centre at closing time.  See you there. :)

I believe 2nd Brekkie at Woodstock is officially part of the deal this year but Liam will advise.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #256 on: 18 April, 2018, 04:55:35 pm »
Yes, if youre planning to stay over the thing to do is mail Liam so he knows how many mugs of cocoa to make. 

You'll need a bag plus mat, but can leave them with Liam whilst youre out enjoing yourself.

Normal drill is to meet up at the The White Hart in the village and then walk round to the centre at closing time.  See you there. :)

I believe 2nd Brekkie at Woodstock is officially part of the deal this year but Liam will advise.

See you in the pub then...  ;D

« Reply #257 on: 19 April, 2018, 05:11:01 pm »
I am really excited by this. I am riding the Heart of England 300 on Saturday and LWL two weeks after. Wimped out last year after suffering a horrible bonk on a ride. I still have work to do on food, and I am getting my head sorted out slowly.

Same.

« Reply #258 on: 20 April, 2018, 06:52:16 am »
Dear all

Edmund will be dormitory monitor on the Friday night.  To help us can you let us know if you plan to come?

I'm aiming to send out final docs at the weekend - thanks to the many people who have looked at the route. The main feedback won't come as a surprise -the roads are in a terrible state with a few of the descents being a bit sporting.  This might affect your tyre choice.

Details on website are right re feeding.  Last year, despite messages on the website, a note in the rider information, a sign at the control and a notice at the arrivee a few riders managed not to pay for breakfast so I thought i'd make it easier and include the breakfast in the entry fee. It's also a good way to support the community association in Woodstock. Manotea willbe in charge of proceedings in Woodstock.

Thanks to Alfapete and his motley crew for looking after Tutshill and to Iddu for organising the gourmet night stop at Lambourn.  We're dependent on the kindness of strangers...

Liam

« Reply #259 on: 21 April, 2018, 05:36:52 pm »
Anyone who is riding should have received an email from me this afternoon.

Liam

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #260 on: 01 May, 2018, 12:54:00 pm »

I'm staying over on the Friday night. I'm hoping to get to he HQ for around 8pm, so happy to see anyone in the pub for a swift bit of carb loading.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #261 on: 01 May, 2018, 01:41:49 pm »

I'm staying over on the Friday night. I'm hoping to get to he HQ for around 8pm, so happy to see anyone in the pub for a swift bit of carb loading.

Centre will open before 9PM according to Liam's email, not sure if at 8 will be open already though...

Manotea

« Reply #262 on: 01 May, 2018, 02:43:26 pm »
The HQ building - Chalfont Community Centre - is generally open but 8pm will likely be a tadge early. I'll be along sometime after 9pm then wander over to the white Hart in the village. For people going direct there are various eateries in the village albeit mainly of the chippie variety. More can be found in Gerrard's cross which is 10 minutes up the road.

You can always join in the bingo whilst you're waiting though. :)

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #263 on: 01 May, 2018, 03:05:18 pm »
Ok, that's not a problem. A bit later suits me. Just need to get my bike sorted  and a new front light and hopefully I'll be good to go! :)

« Reply #264 on: 01 May, 2018, 03:21:16 pm »

Centre will open before 9PM according to Liam's email, not sure if at 8 will be open already though...

That's right - Edmund is Dorm Fuhrer and will be there at 2100 ish

« Reply #265 on: 02 May, 2018, 04:31:07 pm »
Sorry Liam but I need to declare myself to be DNS. I can't make the weekend now.

« Reply #266 on: 02 May, 2018, 06:04:54 pm »
Sorry Liam but I need to declare myself to be DNS. I can't make the weekend now.

Thanks Bob.  Maybe next year?

Just a note to everyone, I don't check YACF very often; email or phone always a more reliable way to communicate with me if you need to reach me quickly.

Liam

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #267 on: 04 May, 2018, 11:09:40 am »
Very excited and nervous about what will be my first attempt at the distance...have luxury of day off today for bike prep and hopefully a siesta to bank a bit of sleep.

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #268 on: 04 May, 2018, 11:15:39 am »
Very excited and nervous about what will be my first attempt at the distance...have luxury of day off today for bike prep and hopefully a siesta to bank a bit of sleep.

Managed to get everything sorted last night. Really looking forward to this one; like you, my first 400. Think I’ve overdone it with the spare inner tubes and mini soreen bars!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #269 on: 04 May, 2018, 11:28:36 am »
Looks like is going to be a great day out!

I take the opportunity to warn everybody about the descent into Winchcombe (km 123). It is very steep and with poor road surface, so don't get carried away with the speed... the surface only becomes worse towards the bottom, where it's less steep, so even there, keep speed under control

« Reply #270 on: 04 May, 2018, 11:32:00 am »
I wouldn't overdo it with the snacks - it's a Saturday and the shops will be open :) I used to load up with food but found all I was doing was taking some sandwiches and cake for a ride. Nowadays on a Saturday ride I just stick an emergency flapjack in my pocket (maybe more on a Sunday).

The really good news is the weather looks pretty well perfect which makes a change after the winter we've had.

Manotea

« Reply #271 on: 04 May, 2018, 11:47:33 am »
Looks like is going to be a great day out!

I take the opportunity to warn everybody about the descent into Winchcombe (km 123). It is very steep and with poor road surface, so don't get carried away with the speed... the surface only becomes worse towards the bottom, where it's less steep, so even there, keep speed under control

And its not unknown for there to be vehicles coming the other way, so whilst its tempting to make a big swooping R&T as you descend it's probably best not to.

On the other hand once on the flat you will need to start gathering some momentum to make the rise to the High Street. Sigh.

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #272 on: 04 May, 2018, 11:57:45 am »
I wouldn't overdo it with the snacks - it's a Saturday and the shops will be open :) I used to load up with food but found all I was doing was taking some sandwiches and cake for a ride. Nowadays on a Saturday ride I just stick an emergency flapjack in my pocket (maybe more on a Sunday).

The really good news is the weather looks pretty well perfect which makes a change after the winter we've had.

I’ve put a bar bag on, which I didn’t use for my 300. Trying to decide whether I really need it. Decisions, decisions.

« Reply #273 on: 04 May, 2018, 12:49:25 pm »
I’ve put a bar bag on, which I didn’t use for my 300. Trying to decide whether I really need it. Decisions, decisions.

I've got an almost full 7 litre saddle bag. Might try and lose it in the Travelodge tonight. Do I *really* need an extra base layer??  ???

whosatthewheel

« Reply #274 on: 04 May, 2018, 01:03:06 pm »

I've got an almost full 7 litre saddle bag. Might try and lose it in the Travelodge tonight. Do I *really* need an extra base layer??  ???

My experience is that the night is always colder than the numbers say... temperatures are typically quoted for towns and cities... I suspect at 2 AM in the countryside it will be something around 6-7 degrees... no wind helps, but still cold. I will bring a Gabba jacket... hopefully it won't be needed, but it's good to have it there