Author Topic: Pavé Proof Bottle Cage  (Read 5776 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Pavé Proof Bottle Cage
« on: 07 September, 2020, 05:28:04 pm »

Ok, it's time for yet another Quixoticgeek asks for a product that meets unreasonable requirements thread as we've not had one in a while.

I'm looking for a pair of bottle cages, each capable of holding a full 1L SIS bike bottle, vertically (such as on a fork), when riding across the cobbles on the way to Roubaix.

Does such a thing exist?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Pavé Proof Bottle Cage
« Reply #1 on: 07 September, 2020, 05:57:56 pm »
Grip tape on bottle cages
The rough ride of the cobbles also takes its toll on bottle cages, and the vibrations will often work loose bottles sending them rolling across the road. To avoid this many teams fit steel bottle cages instead of their normal carbon-fibre ones which can be shaped to give a secure hold of the bottle.

This is often complemented by grip tape, which might do no good whatsoever to the bottle, but should keep it securely held in place to ensure that a rider will be well hydrated come the end of the race.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/10-ways-the-pros-modify-their-bikes-for-the-cobbles-214775

It's unreasonable to ask such a question on a UK forum, everyone knows our roads are all perfectly smooth!  ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 07 September, 2020, 06:10:52 pm »
What about those contraptions which are adjustable with a retaining strap that tourists use for petrol / meths bottle carrying?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 07 September, 2020, 06:14:00 pm »
What about those contraptions which are adjustable with a retaining strap that tourists use for petrol / meths bottle carrying?

I was wondering about that.  Particularly one where the mount involves something more complicated than a simple sliding action.

Of course then there's the question of whether you need quick access to it (ie. to drink out of), or if it's just a secondary bottle that can be swapped over at a convenient off-the-bike moment.

« Reply #4 on: 07 September, 2020, 06:17:33 pm »
Google for Gorilla Cage.  Might be what you seek.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5 on: 07 September, 2020, 06:28:33 pm »
Gorilla Cage is the big one, for sleeping bags and stuff. Monkii Cage is what you want.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 07 September, 2020, 06:45:54 pm »
Gorilla Cage is the big one, for sleeping bags and stuff. Monkii Cage is what you want.

The normal one just slides on, thobut.  I have vague recollections of an alternative slide-and-twist version for fitting in small frames that might be a bit more pavé-proof.

Regardless, you'll need to beef up the single velcro strap securing the bottle.  The one that holds my fuel bottle does the job with a bit of old inner tube wrapped around the bottle to give it a bit of elasticity, but that's mounted horizontally on a full-suspension bike.  When I use it for a 750ml bidon vertically on the Brompton (where I generally try to avoid pavé), there's a bit of slippage.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 07 September, 2020, 06:46:16 pm »

And neither is suitable. The Monkii holds the bottle purely by a single strap. That isn't enough for the brutality of Roubaix.

I have one of those, I use it for a fuel bottle on the down tube when touring. I have two blackburn cages if I wanted to carry a sleeping bag etc...

I have the bottle mounts, I just need a suitable cage.

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #8 on: 07 September, 2020, 07:05:37 pm »

The normal one just slides on, thobut.  I have vague recollections of an alternative slide-and-twist version for fitting in small frames that might be a bit more pavé-proof.
There are both, or all three. And I have all three! Gorilla v Monkii is size. Monkii comes in a twist and lock version as well as a slide and lock version. Theoretically the twist version is more secure – this means in terms of the cage staying on the frame, not the bottle staying in the cage. I have both versions and actually prefer the slide version, cos it's easier to fit and remove in a limited space. Both are identical in terms of the strap for the bottle.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #9 on: 07 September, 2020, 07:14:31 pm »
Try the Xlab Gorilla cage.  Or if that's not enough (or if you just want to go for max grip straight away) the Xlab Gorilla XT.  They're normal-sized bottle cages but very grippy.

« Reply #10 on: 07 September, 2020, 07:23:31 pm »
Elite Cuissa alloy . Push it closed a bit before use for even better grip.
You’ll spot them on pro’s bikes for Paris-Roubaix

« Reply #11 on: 07 September, 2020, 07:31:59 pm »

Regardless, you'll need to beef up the single velcro strap securing the bottle.

The Gorilla Cage would probably be more suitable for a 1 litre bottle, giving support higher up, having 3 straps attaching to the back plate and also a fabric-based retainer at the bottom rather than the perhaps more risky plastic shelf of the Monkii. It doesn't have plastic wings either, so can be matched to the diameter of what you're carrying, hook and loop section coordination permitting.

It also comes with a separate velcro strap with silicone grippy strips on the back for wrapping around the bag and the relevant part of the fork or frame. Might one of these fancy voile straps the cool kids are talking about be deployed to similar effect?

The mount Kim is thinking about is the V-Cage. That really only affects the interface between cage and mounts though, although might be useful on pavé. The Gorilla Cage mount has a similar action.

[slightly cross posted with Cudzoziemiec]

Seth Bike Hacks has done a video on bottle cages for techy mountain biking. That might be of use to you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxw6L0QmPF4

I think he also uses a magnetic set up. Maybe the Fidlock bottle? (Gets a bit of a battering here: https://youtu.be/UADXI9BJRs8?t=181) I don't know if there are options for larger bottles though.

« Reply #12 on: 07 September, 2020, 08:09:14 pm »
By the way, don’t try litre bottles on a carbon frame over rough terrain- I’ve seen the sockets pulled out of the frame.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13 on: 07 September, 2020, 08:25:11 pm »
Are you aiming to remove these bottles from the cages while riding? If not, just use shortened toe-straps around the neck and the cage. If you do, you need to look for a strapless cage.

Go for tubular stainless cages and replace them every few years when they start to fatigue crack. https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Arundel/Stainless-Steel-Bottle-Cage/16GN is good on roughstuff.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #14 on: 07 September, 2020, 10:02:25 pm »
https://www.bikebuddy.co.uk/ ? Sure I first saw that mentioned on here.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 07 September, 2020, 10:06:27 pm »
My BikeBuddy cracked on one of the tight radius bends when I had a 1.5 litre PET bottle in it but that was road-only.

« Reply #16 on: 07 September, 2020, 10:41:34 pm »
I got these for my recumbent after losing a bottle on a 200 audax last December.

https://tacx.com/product/deva/

They are mounted horizontally under my recumbent seat and hold the bottles firm.  No movement at all. I only use 750mL bottles so not sure about 1Ltr ones.  But working horizontally they are certainly working harder than they would upright.

Also they are a Dutch company, though bought out by Garmin in the last year or so.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #17 on: 08 September, 2020, 03:58:56 pm »
Try the Xlab Gorilla cage.  Or if that's not enough (or if you just want to go for max grip straight away) the Xlab Gorilla XT.  They're normal-sized bottle cages but very grippy.

They look interesting, if rather expensive. I wonder if they would be too hard for me to pull a bottle out, without falling off...

Elite Cuissa alloy . Push it closed a bit before use for even better grip.
You’ll spot them on pro’s bikes for Paris-Roubaix

These look promising based on reviews, and considerably cheaper too... Might get a pair to test with, and see if I can find somewhere locally with horrible surface to test them...

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

J
--

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18 on: 08 September, 2020, 04:07:58 pm »
Pro cyclists don’t use 1 litre bidons, particularly at Paris-Roubaix.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #19 on: 08 September, 2020, 04:10:39 pm »
Are you aiming to remove these bottles from the cages while riding? If not, just use shortened toe-straps around the neck and the cage. If you do, you need to look for a strapless cage.

Go for tubular stainless cages and replace them every few years when they start to fatigue crack. https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Arundel/Stainless-Steel-Bottle-Cage/16GN is good on roughstuff.
Or double sided velcro.  This is my MTB setup which has worked fine for multi day cross country touring including many off road descents at far greater than wise velocity in the Pennines.  Without the straps the fork bottles would launch like a pair of mortar rounds taking a surprisingly minor bump > 10kph.  The bottle by the BB is the only one I drink from refilling from the others through the day.  It is reasonably tight but I think mostly it holds because the line of the shock is at an angle and the CofG moves down as it empties.  Originally the BB cage was alloy and adjusted for extra tightness but fatigue got it on the Sandstone Way Pennine Bridleway.  Other than that this setup has worked as shown since 2015.

^^ This will hold all day ^^                                                                                     ^^ this will not, not enough contact on the velcro. ^^

2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20 on: 08 September, 2020, 04:16:30 pm »
Plastic Cateye cages are totally bombproof but don’t have enough inherent retention for some situations, so the additional straps are mandatory behind the seat or on fork legs.

« Reply #21 on: 08 September, 2020, 04:35:15 pm »
I'm using Nukeproof straps for my bottle off-roading, but although I can get the bottle out of the elastic when riding, I can't get it back in.
I can't find a picture with a bottle in- they're all about the spare tyres. It works for a bottle or a waterproof, depending which bike I'm on.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22 on: 08 September, 2020, 04:39:58 pm »
I'm using Nukeproof straps for my bottle off-roading, but although I can get the bottle out of the elastic when riding, I can't get it back in.
I can't find a picture with a bottle in- they're all about the spare tyres. It works for a bottle or a waterproof, depending which bike I'm on.
Never have so many photos been used to show so little!

« Reply #23 on: 08 September, 2020, 04:46:40 pm »
I'm still looking for pictures, I might have to just walk downstairs to the bike!

In the meantime... https://reviews.mtbr.com/in-search-of-the-most-secure-bottle-cage

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24 on: 08 September, 2020, 05:06:09 pm »
Yeah, I was referring to Wiggle's 40 different photos which are all exactly the same.