Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1631085 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #9300 on: 23 October, 2017, 10:18:10 am »
The smoke from burning cod doesn't leave either :(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9301 on: 23 October, 2017, 10:50:24 am »
We used to have a neighbour who barbecued sardines every Sunday, with his barbecue up against the hedge which divided our gardens. The smoke would permeate the hedge and the stench last for hours.  It took years to persuade him to move the damn thing to the other side of his terrace.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9302 on: 23 October, 2017, 07:38:08 pm »
I live in a steep-sided valley (or on the side of it, anyway) and it seems every single house in the town is currently having an extension added. Be nice if they all take day off.

Oh, and the smoke from burning leaves doesn't, well, leave. But I kind of like that smell. Which is good, as next doors chimney is level with our living room.

Why are they burning leaves indoors?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #9303 on: 23 October, 2017, 08:22:59 pm »
Well, smoke in general. Though I think she'll burn anything. I think she burned up half our house during the refurbishment. Oh, unwary TV licensing operatives, you name it. She may be smelting aluminium.

It's not that bad, but yes, the perils of living on a slope mean the top of her chimney is level with our ground floor.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9304 on: 24 October, 2017, 12:26:29 am »
maybe she has to burn stuff indoors or the yetis will get her?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9305 on: 24 October, 2017, 08:13:52 am »
Well, smoke in general. Though I think she'll burn anything. I think she burned up half our house during the refurbishment. Oh, unwary TV licensing operatives, you name it. She may be smelting aluminium.

It's not that bad, but yes, the perils of living on a slope mean the top of her chimney is level with our ground floor.

Well then, if she can be obnoxious up the chimney then you can be obnoxious down it.

ian

« Reply #9306 on: 24 October, 2017, 09:21:24 am »
I don't think the yetis will come down as far as her garden. That's mostly bear territory. You can't smoke a bear. Unless you're Finnish.

(I'm not complaining anyway, the smoke mostly blows away and she will happily dispose of anything I need to get rid of, no questions asked. It's a lot less effort than burying them under the patio.)

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #9307 on: 24 October, 2017, 01:51:33 pm »
Officer Cadets.

Our conference room looks like somebody set off a bomb in a transport cafe. You'd think we'd just played host to a chimps tea party rather than a group of "young gentlemen" from Sandhurst.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9308 on: 24 October, 2017, 04:33:06 pm »
Same thing innit!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #9309 on: 24 October, 2017, 05:27:37 pm »
Officer Cadets.

Our conference room looks like somebody set off a bomb in a transport cafe. You'd think we'd just played host to a chimps tea party rather than a group of "young gentlemen" from Sandhurst.

Ooh! I was there today. Sandhurst, that is, not Guy's conference room.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ElyDave

« Reply #9310 on: 24 October, 2017, 07:42:44 pm »
Lurgy - FOAD
at least it gives me an excuse to drink lagavullin, medicinally of course.

« Reply #9311 on: 24 October, 2017, 07:58:02 pm »
Officer Cadets.

I thought Sandhurst also trained "young ladies".

Perhaps soldiers would be a better description.

« Reply #9312 on: 24 October, 2017, 09:47:29 pm »
I don't think that would quite convey Guy's feelings about the baby Ruperts; perhaps 'young gentlepersons' or 'young gentlefolk'?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #9313 on: 24 October, 2017, 10:52:04 pm »
The amazon locker on campus is full. Oiks, get down there and pick up your parcels, I want to order some stuffs.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #9314 on: 25 October, 2017, 10:30:02 am »
Officer Cadets.

I thought Sandhurst also trained "young ladies".

Perhaps soldiers would be a better description.

These were all male, and I wouldn't put any of 'em in charge of a dead match, let alone a platoon of squaddies!
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #9315 on: 25 October, 2017, 02:46:20 pm »
Ah Ruperts, as they are affectionately known.....
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9316 on: 25 October, 2017, 04:01:50 pm »
Ah Ruperts, as they are affectionately known.....

Should that be "affectionately" ??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #9317 on: 25 October, 2017, 08:49:16 pm »
Peeps wot's diggin up the roads.  When you say the road is blocked, could you be so kind as to specify whether that applies to motor vehicles only or to pedestrians as well?  It takes rather longer to divert at 3mph than it does at 30mph.  10 times longer, in fact.  So it would be good to know if I reeelly needed to divert, given there's no handy footpaths going the same way ...
Not everyone who uses said road is local enough to 'just know'.
eh?
I was sorely tempted to leap over offending barriers.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9318 on: 25 October, 2017, 08:55:46 pm »
Peeps wot's diggin up the roads.  When you say the road is blocked, could you be so kind as to specify whether that applies to motor vehicles only or to pedestrians as well?  It takes rather longer to divert at 3mph than it does at 30mph.  10 times longer, in fact.  So it would be good to know if I reeelly needed to divert, given there's no handy footpaths going the same way ...
eh?

We had a diversionary discussion about that recently in some thread or other, in which I suggested the very same.

I work on the principle that as a cyclist, it's usually worth trying your luck with an unknown closed road, as most of the time you can push your bike past someone digging a hole.  It's only rarely a missing bridge or similar.

ElyDave

« Reply #9319 on: 25 October, 2017, 09:03:57 pm »
eh?
I'm generally a leaper, also following Kim through on bike. it's never gone wrong, yet!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9320 on: 26 October, 2017, 10:55:37 am »
My leaping days are done but I usually get round without bouncing. Usually.  Didn't yesterday, though, 'cos road-closed sign was 2 km before site of blockage and it was all downhill.  Shifted my destination and discovered a nice new road instead: nice rolling hills.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9321 on: 26 October, 2017, 12:46:44 pm »
I don't think I've ever had to leap over a road closure.  I save that sort of nonsense for Sustrans adventures.

essexian

« Reply #9322 on: 26 October, 2017, 02:05:10 pm »
Taking a bike on a train can be so stressful, so when I discovered it was very straightforward on the Scottish Sleeper service, I was most pleased.....however, the tickets for the journey have now arrived and there is no reservation ticket for the bike as I normally receive when travelling on Virgin or other services where booking is required.

So.... in a bit of a worry as I have spent a lot of money on this trip, I phone their helpline.

Guess what...."our lines are very busy: please hold for the first available operator...." 15 bloody minutes worth of hold music before I gave up and emailed them. I suppose I will get a reply but until I do, I am going to worry!

I suppose its down to there being so few unemployed now days* the company are finding it hard to obtain staff to operate their helplines..... :facepalm:

*May contain traces of not believing official figures. 

« Reply #9323 on: 27 October, 2017, 10:39:13 am »
Bloody Waltham Bloody Forest. Why is there no left turn from Blackhorse Lane into Forest Road? And why didn't I notice (or take enough notice) of it? (at 21:30 at night) Bet that camera collects a few bob for them. And, given I got caught in the middle of the shockingly complex car trap outside Walthamstow Central I reckon I can expect another penalty from them. Grrrr.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9324 on: 27 October, 2017, 07:06:50 pm »
'twas ever thus, or at least as long as I've been living in these parts.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime