Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 254142 times)

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #925 on: 11 September, 2019, 11:55:40 am »
BBc London 600 added  :thumbsup: The first calendar 600 to qualify

Anyone want to run a 400?  :)

This looks great! Literally just sent off my cheque for the BCM but might have to do both.

Martin

« Reply #926 on: 27 September, 2019, 08:11:51 pm »
Mid Sussex Hilly / Hillier entries coming in nicely. One of the original GdS events (in fact the Hilly pre-dates the award by 6 years). The Hillier adds a few extra climbs around East Grinstead and of course Ditchling Beacon (up and back down) almost at the end.

Manotea aka "Mr Westler" will satisfy your post Cob Lane lunchtime hunger with hot dogs (veggie as well)  :P

also the last eligible calendar event of 2019; the GdS runs Jan to Dec  :)

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
    • Steam Rides & Chiltern Grimpeurs
« Reply #927 on: 01 October, 2019, 10:05:34 pm »
new Steam Rides adding for 2020

https://sites.google.com/site/grimpeursdusud/

www.steamride.co.uk

Chiltern Pub Crawl 200
Planning for 2020..

... thinking of running in June 2021, for the GdS RRTY, would that be better timing ???
ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

Martin

« Reply #928 on: 01 October, 2019, 10:11:44 pm »
as there isn't currently a GdS RRTY (most calendar events are sub 200 and thanks to the new AAA system there is only one eligible 200, yours) hard to comment

« Reply #929 on: 02 October, 2019, 09:25:32 am »
as there isn't currently a GdS RRTY (most calendar events are sub 200 and thanks to the new AAA system there is only one eligible 200, yours) hard to comment

Isn't The Shark also an eligible 200... ?

Martin

« Reply #930 on: 02 October, 2019, 12:30:52 pm »

Isn't The Shark also an eligible 200... ?

yes  :-[

Martin

« Reply #931 on: 04 October, 2019, 12:58:09 pm »
2 new Steam Rides added for 2020

Both rides are qualifiers for the new ACH SR in 2020:  www.steamride.co.uk

Steam Ride:University Challenge 600
https://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-617/

Chiltern Pub Crawl 200
https://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-294/

Unfortunately the Steam Ride:University Challenge 600 2.5AAA, GdS hyper-link is linking to the Island ride 1.5.. ???

as well as my other AUK admin I do have a full time job!  :-\ I'll get round to it in due course I don't usually update next year's events until nearer January.

Which 300? Oasts and Coasts has also lost its AAA IIRC :(

« Reply #932 on: 04 October, 2019, 03:18:25 pm »
2 new Steam Rides added for 2020

Both rides are qualifiers for the new ACH SR in 2020:  www.steamride.co.uk

Steam Ride:University Challenge 600
https://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-617/

Chiltern Pub Crawl 200
https://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-294/

Unfortunately the Steam Ride:University Challenge 600 2.5AAA, GdS hyper-link is linking to the Island ride 1.5.. ???

as well as my other AUK admin I do have a full time job!  :-\ I'll get round to it in due course I don't usually update next year's events until nearer January.

Which 300? Oasts and Coasts has also lost its AAA IIRC :(

Greenwich Mean Climb definitely hasn't lost its AAA, and then possibly The Dean? (I don't think the Dean counts towards GdS tbh)

« Reply #933 on: 04 October, 2019, 04:38:53 pm »
ACME Grand counts, with 9.25 AAA points. I think I used that last year in obtaining my GdS SR, and it is running again next September.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Martin

« Reply #934 on: 04 October, 2019, 10:16:01 pm »
sorry yes GMC 300 counts, as does ACME 1000  :)

« Reply #935 on: 06 October, 2019, 09:58:48 am »
ACME Grand counts, with 9.25 AAA points. I think I used that last year in obtaining my GdS SR, and it is running again next September.

Also continuing to push the GdS region envelope, a couple more 1000's: KWAC's London–Land’s End–London and ACB's Cornish Riviera Express Perm?
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Martin

« Reply #936 on: 13 October, 2019, 10:15:46 pm »
Mid Sussex Hillier route checked today; will upload a revised route sheet / GPX tomorrow. Please note it's not the same as last year (which was the route on the webpage until I took it down today)

Hilly also route checked thanks Anton  :thumbsup: please use the route sheet and gpx updated today (15th)

it's gonna be busy! unfortunately my sacrificial org's ride didn't attract much rain

Martin

« Reply #937 on: 13 November, 2019, 08:32:45 pm »
I'm trying to enter Hills and Mills but despite the Paypal button there is no entry option :(
MJ can you check?  :)

« Reply #938 on: 13 November, 2019, 09:01:54 pm »
Same for me.

« Reply #939 on: 14 November, 2019, 05:49:17 am »
There was text on the Hills and Mills page to say entries not open until 26th November. That text has gone (or I can’t see it for looking), but I don’t see an entry button yet.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Martin

« Reply #940 on: 22 November, 2019, 10:32:55 pm »
It is with sadness that I need to announce that the DIYs previously advertised as eligible

Surrey Secrets

Westerly CC DIYs

are now withdrawn as they can no longer be guaranteed any AAA at all by the new AUK AAA system

Thanks  :'(

Martin

« Reply #941 on: 26 November, 2019, 10:15:17 pm »
There was text on the Hills and Mills page to say entries not open until 26th November. That text has gone (or I can’t see it for looking), but I don’t see an entry button yet.

Entered  :)

« Reply #942 on: 26 November, 2019, 10:41:03 pm »
I'm trying to enter Hills and Mills but despite the Paypal button there is no entry option :(
MJ can you check?  :)

Greetings, yes Hills and Mills is now open for business, thanks for your entries.  aukweb.net/events/detail/20-77/
Somehow missed the Cal page in the last Arrivee hence opened entries a month early.  ;D

MJJSM opens 24/12/19    :thumbsup:
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

« Reply #943 on: 02 December, 2019, 10:11:15 pm »
I did Surrey Secrets a couple of weeks ago, and was still awaiting the AAA points to appear when I read this. So I was surprised to see that 1.75 pts and 1,870 m of climb had appeared in my results against it a few days ago. Only difference from the RWGPS route linked from the GDS site was that I reordered it to do Box Hill first, to avoid the crowds, and took a slightly different out and back route into Polesden Lacey, maybe adding an extra 20m or so. Other than that, it was exactly the same route. Surely those changes wouldn't be enough to make the difference between 0 and 1.75 points?

I am genuinely intrigued as to how it could have lost its points. If it was just hovering on the 1500m threshold then I could understand it, but it seemed to be above the threshold by a decent margin.

Pete 

It is with sadness that I need to announce that the DIYs previously advertised as eligible

Surrey Secrets

Westerly CC DIYs

are now withdrawn as they can no longer be guaranteed any AAA at all by the new AUK AAA system

Thanks  :'(

Martin

« Reply #944 on: 03 December, 2019, 12:04:50 pm »
I'm not saying Surrey Secrets has lost it's AAA; just that I'm no longer advertising DIY routes on the GdS webpage as their AAA points are very device specific and generally on a downward trend.

The route is still here if anyone wants to ride it

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16458246

« Reply #945 on: 03 December, 2019, 01:49:20 pm »
How are DIY by GPS rides assessed for AAA points?

I assuming some sort of calculation tool is used, rather than using the altitude readings on the GPX file from the ride, which not only vary widely between devices but also in my experience vary wildly depending on how much water gets into the barometer.

Just curious as I'm planning to do more DIYs with AAA points in mind and want to know how best to ensure I don't come up short.

« Reply #946 on: 03 December, 2019, 02:49:45 pm »
They are assessed in the same way as routes for calendar rides with a tool that uses Ordnance Survey elevation data (in Great Britain) - any altitude values from the device itself are ignored. If you have any particular concerns about any rides you have planned/ridden please contact me directly via the aaa at audax.uk email address and I will do my best to help - I am running a slight backlog on DIY assessments at the moment mainly due to the season changeover.

Martin's choice of what is and isn't eligible for GdS is up to him, and if he doesn't want to accept DIY rides that's fine, however I do disagree with his opinion on the current state of AAA assessments, but maybe we can just leave it at that.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #947 on: 03 December, 2019, 07:46:28 pm »
Thanks for the clarification - I had misinterpreted your post as being rather more drastic than it actually was  :facepalm:

So in summary then:

1. Validated DIYs with AAA points are still accepted for GDS
2. But its up to us to find (or create) them
3. And its up to us to satisfy ourselves that they will get the AAA points that we expect, to avoid disappointment (possibly by an email to aaa)

Pete

Martin

« Reply #948 on: 03 December, 2019, 11:14:06 pm »

Martin's choice of what is and isn't eligible for GdS is up to him, and if he doesn't want to accept DIY rides that's fine, however I do disagree with his opinion on the current state of AAA assessments, but maybe we can just leave it at that.

DIY AAA rides are perfectly acceptable for the GdS as long as they start in the specified counties and have a minimum 100km section worth at least 1.5AAA,

the latest update to the webpage is that I'm no longer willing to advertise previously eligible DIYs as many of these have been demonstrated to be now worth less than the previously awarded amount of climbing. Which BTW makes the previous SE based AAA champions' totals possibly seem not what they were.

That's all

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #949 on: 03 December, 2019, 11:17:12 pm »
AAA points have ‘changed value’ several times since the scheme was created. It isn’t really possible to compare AAA points totals that are widely separated in time.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...