Author Topic: SPDs vs Road  (Read 1325 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
SPDs vs Road
« on: 06 May, 2009, 12:57:09 pm »
Are SPDs kinder to the knees than Road pedals?

I'm considering making the change to Time ATAC and a pair of MTB shoes, away from my Time RSX and Road shoes.

My knees are fairly happy(ish) at the moment, but I'm thinking that since they seem to like my feet to point straight forwards, MTB pedals might allow that extra bit of float and decrease some of the twisting load required to unclip.

Any thoughts?

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

inc

Re: SPDs vs Road
« Reply #1 on: 06 May, 2009, 01:10:32 pm »
I don't think it makes any difference, most road cleats come in fixed and float versions with the release pressure set by an adjustable pre load. The only time I have had any problem with either type is with spd cleats/shoes where the sole of the shoe was too tight on the top of the pedal, stopping any float and making release difficult, not an uncommon problem solved by trimming the sole.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2009, 01:14:14 pm »
The only significant difference I could see is if you are to be walking a lot, SPDs are kinder on your ankles, knees etc.

Getting there...

Jacomus

« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2009, 01:18:34 pm »
I don't think it makes any difference, most road cleats come in fixed and float versions with the release pressure set by an adjustable pre load. The only time I have had any problem with either type is with spd cleats/shoes where the sole of the shoe was too tight on the top of the pedal, stopping any float and making release difficult, not an uncommon problem solved by trimming the sole.

I was wondering if the way that the float is achieved could make a difference.

On my road pedals, the front of the cleat is held fixed while the rear is free to float essentially it is only the rear of my foot that gets free lateral movement. On an SPD the toes and heel of the foot get free movement.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2009, 01:22:42 pm »
Well, just to be clear, SPD is a different system to Time ATAC. The question is therefore more of a "ATAC vs RSX" one really.

As suggested though, I guess it depends on the type of riding you're doing, and personal preference.

I find that my Look delta's give more float than my SPD's, and are more secure (have pulled my foot out of SPD's a couple of times). I use MTB shoes for the commute into work as it makes walking in from the bike stand to the showers easier. Don't really need any walking capability any other time, and since all the rest of the bikes have Look pedals on them, I stick to that.

Jacomus

« Reply #5 on: 06 May, 2009, 01:37:49 pm »
Oh, ok. Hmm, I think I'll do a bit of nosing around and find out the proper differences between the ATAC and SPD systems.

Thanks!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 06 May, 2009, 01:43:13 pm »
Please let's call them MTB pedals for this thread rather than SPD, because SPD is just one particular system (that is quite different from some other MTB ones).

* Some road systems have more float than some MTB ones, and vice versa.  Check the number of degrees for the particular models you're interested in.  Note that it varies for LOOK depending on the cleats: red 9 degrees, grey 4.5, black 0.

* Even when the number of degrees of float is quoted as the same for different systems, the float can actually be and feel different depending on the design.  Some work with more friction than others; some are self-centering.

* Number of degrees to release isn't necessarily related to float.  Float is the zone in the middle with relatively low friction, not necessarily the whole amount of movement possible before unclipping.

* A relatively large amount of force to release (compared to other pedals) shouldn't bother reasonably healthy knees.  IMO you should ignore this factor as far as comfort goes unless you have a particular serious problem already, and stop and start a lot.  The factor is more relevant to security when sprinting, etc.

* Amount of float required for comfort/health is a matter of personal preference.  This ranges from zero to as much as possible.

* The lightest stiff shoes tend to only accept road cleats.  I suggest deciding what shoes you want first of all, then consider pedal options afterwards.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #7 on: 06 May, 2009, 01:46:23 pm »
^ Wot he said... ^

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #8 on: 07 May, 2009, 09:31:23 pm »
Just a note on the 'shape' of the float.

I tried Look pedals and did not get with them.

Time RXS and Impact are perfect for my knees.

The main differance when using these pedals is where the float is from. On the Time pedals the pedals twist around the centre of the cleat. On Look the twist is from the front of the cleat.

Also Time pedals have lateral float that is left to right and twisting. Look only has twisting.

It is personal choice. Some people do not care or notice the differance. Other people (like me) do notice and it makes a lot of differance.
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #9 on: 08 May, 2009, 01:47:07 pm »
MTB pedals and the metal cleats tend to give me hot or cold spots depending on climatic conditions.