Author Topic: 'War on Motorist'  (Read 920 times)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
'War on Motorist'
« on: 03 May, 2024, 12:51:19 pm »
I have put this here because it impacts all road users. Consultation closes May 11th, and it is a deeply loaded questionnaire. The subject is on how Teh Eevil Councils are unfairly bilking poor, honest drivers by (cont p94)

A lot of free text boxes, and I have mentioned ASL infringement in one. Unsurprisingly, my submission was along the lines of "More! Bigger fines! Tax on stupidity!" than they are clearly hoping for.

You know your duty...

https://www.gov.uk/government/calls-for-evidence/restricting-the-generation-of-surplus-funds-from-traffic-contraventions
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Re: 'War on Motorist'
« Reply #1 on: 03 May, 2024, 01:35:03 pm »
Yet another very biased 'survey', I have responded.  Not with the responses that it is designed to encourage.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2 on: 03 May, 2024, 01:38:15 pm »
Done.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

rr

« Reply #3 on: 03 May, 2024, 01:57:27 pm »
Done, string up the selfish drivers was the gist of my responses.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 03 May, 2024, 02:31:47 pm »
The best way to restrict surpluses is for drivers to follow the rules.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 03 May, 2024, 04:12:11 pm »
I believe the phrase or saying "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime" may have appeared in this Unit's response :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6 on: 03 May, 2024, 04:30:57 pm »
^ I said the same!
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #7 on: 03 May, 2024, 08:03:43 pm »
Done.
Along the lines of why would anyone think that fining drivers for infringements is a bad idea?
Provided the money is ringfenced to improve infrastucture for active travel.
I felt it necessary to explain what I meant by active travel.
And don't just fine them, get bad drivers off the roads, retest them etc....

« Reply #8 on: 03 May, 2024, 08:50:05 pm »
I asked why there should be a cap on arresting bad drivers; what's next, a cap on how many burglars the police are allowed to arrest?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #9 on: 03 May, 2024, 08:56:54 pm »
https://road.cc/content/news/uk-government-review-motorists-caught-out-cycle-lanes-308187

Now, as part of the next step in its plan, the DfT is seeking views on how to “restrict the ability of local authorities to generate surplus funds from penalty charge notices”.

The contraventions include motorists driving through no entry, no left or right turn, or prohibited vehicle signs, or unlawfully entering box junctions, and driving in mandatory cycle lanes.

I think that must be the worst such “survey” I have ever encountered.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #10 on: 03 May, 2024, 10:03:39 pm »
I will admit that when I wrote in response with suggestions about towing away and crushing, I avoided saying anything about leaving the drivers in the vehicles.

I DID point out that if the council is making extra money from lawbreakers, it means savings for honest 'strivers' etc.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #11 on: 05 May, 2024, 04:06:09 pm »
That is the worst consultation I've ever seen. I didn't respond in the way they were hoping, I don't reckon.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #12 on: 05 May, 2024, 10:10:35 pm »
I have just been moved into another constituency by the latest boundary changes.  The MP of my new constituency send round a newsletter to all his new consituents which featured an article by a local councillor 'I believe we should be able to drive our cars how we want, when we want, where we want' rant.

I will stop there as I have no polite words....

... but this guidance shows just how badly they have broken government.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 02:35:20 pm »
that's a joke of a consultation.  I've responded and went out my way to suggest bigger fines and greater enforcement. 

« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 04:34:53 pm »
that's a joke of a consultation.  I've responded and went out my way to suggest bigger fines and greater enforcement.

+1. I also repeatedly answered that we need enforcement of existing laws before we start thinking about new laws

A

« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 04:45:36 pm »
Hopefully will go the same way as their survey of people who live in LTN areas - i.e. it backfired.  Turns out people like them  ;D
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 04:55:36 pm »
I'm baffled. If the law is wrong, change the law. The idea of law-makers proposing that people should be encouraged to disregard the law risks bringing law-makers into disrepute unemployment. Oh, wait a minute...

(Not a member of any particular party, and vote differently in different elections.)

« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 05:32:05 pm »
Surprised they were able to get away with that “survey”.  Appallingly constructed with only one aim.

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 05:55:02 pm »
I'm a bit shocked too. I thought perhaps that the Civil Service would have a role in making it more even-handed, just in order to make it actually return representative views.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 10:55:46 pm »
I'm a bit shocked too. I thought perhaps that the Civil Service would have a role in making it more even-handed, just in order to make it actually return representative views.

Civil Service, you say? Standing in the way of our elected representatives? I think not!
It is simpler than it looks.