Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 637987 times)

Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #1025 on: 19 August, 2011, 07:33:19 pm »
Those look like normal Samsonite style suitcases!  You can even see where the wheels are/used to be!

corshamjim

« Reply #1026 on: 21 August, 2011, 04:14:29 pm »
I saw a Pashley tricycle (Tri 1 I think) at the New Forest Rattler today (not taking part I hasten to add).  It had a really useful looking ply box on the back.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1027 on: 21 August, 2011, 04:46:30 pm »
Saw a guy on an upright trike in the vicinity of Ashby-de-la-Zouch yesterday.  I was making the most of a descent, so didn't get a good look at it, but it had a step-through frame and a Giant logo, so possibly a conversion.  I said a cheery and ever so slightly ironic "Hello, you don't see many of those about." as I went past, but merely got a look of confusion from the rider, from which I conclude a pootling local with balance issues rather than a serious cyclist with an affinity for weird machines.

dullcommuter

• Jon Chambers
« Reply #1028 on: 21 August, 2011, 04:48:35 pm »
Maybe bad form to post things spotted in one's own back garden but now a cracked frame has taken it permanently out of service this is by way of obituary...

« Reply #1029 on: 22 August, 2011, 10:26:20 pm »
Only wish I'd hung around to see how it was ridden.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1030 on: 22 August, 2011, 10:34:46 pm »
Saw an interesting one on the way home this evening - a bike, with a wheelchair attached in a motorbike+sidecar type arrangement - looked to be propelled by the rider alone.

Never seen anything quite like it, and since the wheelchair was to the side of the main frame rather than in front of it, I think we can definitely rule out a Hase Pino or similar. From what little I could make out, the wheelchair appeared to be attached at least semi-permanently to the frame of the bike (I could see frame tubes heading in a wheelchair-ward direction) - the connection between the two must have been fairly secure as they were going at a fair lick. Didn't recognise either the rider (male) or the 'passenger' (female) either. Seemed like rather a sociable arrangement to me :)

Anyone in York know anything about this rather unusual machine? (FWIW, it was heading down Sim Balk Lane towards Bishopthorpe - the frame of the bike was either dark red or maroon. No pix, as I was heading in the opposite direction at 15mph ;) )

« Reply #1031 on: 22 August, 2011, 11:12:45 pm »
If the rider had a close-cropped white beard/moustache, then I know them very well indeed.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1032 on: 22 August, 2011, 11:18:09 pm »
If the rider had a close-cropped white beard/moustache, then I know them very well indeed.
Didn't notice, to be honest - was too busy trying to keep pedalling whilst doing a double take :)

« Reply #1033 on: 23 August, 2011, 10:22:14 am »
I must have photos of them somewhere, will try to dig them out.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1034 on: 23 August, 2011, 01:23:51 pm »
Saw an interesting one on the way home this evening - a bike, with a wheelchair attached in a motorbike+sidecar type arrangement - looked to be propelled by the rider alone. ...

This one ?
Actually, it is rocket science.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1035 on: 23 August, 2011, 01:42:14 pm »
Saw an interesting one on the way home this evening - a bike, with a wheelchair attached in a motorbike+sidecar type arrangement - looked to be propelled by the rider alone. ...

This one ?
That's the one.

« Reply #1036 on: 23 August, 2011, 01:48:29 pm »
Those are the people I know.

I'm surprised at your 'moving at quite a lick' comment; Paul was originally struggling a bit on the bike. He has hardly done any cycling in his life. Being the 'motor' on the rig means he's pedalling double adult weight.

Belinda has tried a hand-cycle attachment on her wheelchair, but found it didn't work for her. She's also had a go with a handcycle with the same result.  Her spinal damage is very high up, so she has no abdominal or back strength.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1037 on: 23 August, 2011, 01:54:39 pm »
Those are the people I know.

I'm surprised at your 'moving at quite a lick' comment; Paul was originally struggling a bit on the bike. He has hardly done any cycling in his life. Being the 'motor' on the rig means he's pedalling double adult weight.
They were going downhill - or about as downhill as it gets round here (I passed them roughly halfway between the bridge over the A64 and the side entrance to the college near the traffic lights). Initially I was more impressed with how stable it seemed, but that was before I saw how the wheelchair was attached to the rest of the bike.

Even by York standards, it was something a bit different even taking into account that I've seen a hand-cycle going through Bishopthorpe on a number of occasions.

« Reply #1038 on: 23 August, 2011, 01:58:22 pm »
I'll send a message on facebook to them, telling them they had been spotted out on the outfit. They'll be chuffed.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1039 on: 23 August, 2011, 02:06:22 pm »
I'll send a message on facebook to them, telling them they had been spotted out on the outfit. They'll be chuffed.
It was different enough to make me double-take and almost forget I was riding without gears, plus I like to see a good 'engineering solution' every now and again ;)

« Reply #1040 on: 28 August, 2011, 05:32:16 pm »
Spotted returning from the bikecheck at PBP:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1041 on: 28 August, 2011, 08:07:25 pm »
Spotted returning from the bikecheck at PBP:

DIY frame?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1042 on: 28 August, 2011, 09:38:17 pm »

DIY frame?
Lokks as if it could be. Very similar to the Hotta:
(as sold by ASDA)   ;D
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1043 on: 29 August, 2011, 12:01:23 am »
A lot of trail on those forks.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1044 on: 29 August, 2011, 11:56:54 am »

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1045 on: 29 August, 2011, 04:29:47 pm »
Saw a Beixo shaft-driven folding bike on the South Bank, yesterday:

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1046 on: 29 August, 2011, 05:06:25 pm »
Saw the "Bishopthorpe hand cyclist" when I was walking down to the garage on Friday - don't know who he is, but I've seen him a few times and he's always been giving it some seriously welly. Chapeau, that man!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1047 on: 05 September, 2011, 11:14:38 pm »
A Pashley Picador trike at a new used-bike shop between Bristol's Create centre and the end of the Choccy path. Shopkeeper's own, not for sale. I liked the way it has a hub gearcan which then uses an extra chain to drive the rear axle - looked like both wheels, but I'm not sure.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1048 on: 06 September, 2011, 09:01:52 am »
no they are one wheel drive , i have owned several in the past :)
the slower you go the more you see

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1049 on: 06 September, 2011, 09:05:37 am »
Last week on the return from the pubbe, saw the mystery Romanby recumbent tricyclist.

On the Pedal For Pounds at the weekend I met a bloke from Barnsley CC on a LOVELY Raleigh ti, with the skinniest carbon forks I have ever seen, looked like two stilletos holding the front wheel in place.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State