Author Topic: giro d'italia 2012  (Read 12069 times)

Re: giro d'italia 2012
« Reply #25 on: 07 May, 2012, 07:57:20 pm »
Just seen crash on YouTube !

Mark Renshaw's comments that he has been thrown off the Tour for less are true.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #26 on: 07 May, 2012, 08:03:28 pm »
Several riders interviewed on Danish television suggested  that Ferrari took a car to Verona, they where very very pi**ed at him.

Phinney should be okay and keeps riding on Wednesday.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #27 on: 07 May, 2012, 09:15:02 pm »
If Ferrari does not apologise publically in the peloton then he will find it a long and lonely road to Milan. His first grand tour and he may discover that the 'autobus' has few seats, and nobody can spare a gel.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #28 on: 07 May, 2012, 09:34:50 pm »
If Ferrari does not apologise publically in the peloton then he will find it a long and lonely road to Milan. His first grand tour and he may discover that the 'autobus' has few seats, and nobody can spare a gel.

And anytime he escapes, half the peloton will be in full pursuit.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
giro d'italia 2012
« Reply #29 on: 07 May, 2012, 09:44:56 pm »
Lionel Birnie has been sticking up for Ferrari on twitter, saying it was "an honest mistake" (unlike, say, a deliberate head butt). Which is fair enough if you're a cat 4 novice, but you can't afford to be making mistakes like that at this level, at those kinds of speeds, with so much at stake.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #30 on: 07 May, 2012, 09:56:10 pm »
Is he also sticking up for the 'I did nothing wrong' sentiment?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

citoyen

giro d'italia 2012
« Reply #31 on: 07 May, 2012, 10:20:20 pm »
On that he has remained silent.

However, he did come up with a line I enjoyed:
"Roberto Ferrari. No more dangerous than orange juice."

d.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #32 on: 08 May, 2012, 08:39:49 am »
I couldn't see why he cut across the way he did, when there was a perfect opening for him straight infront nearer to the barriers. I'm also surprised there wasn't more carnage, given the speed and bunching.

Thank goodness it's a rest day today.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #33 on: 08 May, 2012, 08:29:47 pm »
Cyclingnews.com is reporting that Phinney has retained the maglia rosa despite crossing the finish line in an ambulance. I thought the rule was that you got given the same time as the bunch if you crash in the last 3km, but you have to cross the line with, if not actually on, your bike (or what remains of it!)

If the organisers have cut him some slack and waived that rule in this case, I think it was right to do so.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #34 on: 08 May, 2012, 08:55:37 pm »
I suppose they may have taken the bike in the ambulance as well if he was really insistent.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Riggers

« Reply #35 on: 10 May, 2012, 10:56:05 am »
Team Time Trial today, and I guess Mark Cavendish will start and, hopefully, be dragged along by his teammates.

Times are:

14:25 - Ag2r La Mondiale
14:28 - Euskaltel-Euskadi
14:31 - Androni Giocattoli
14:34 - Lampre-ISD
14:37 - Lotto-Belisol
14:40 - Colnago-CSF Inox
14:43 - FDJ-Big Mat
14:46 - Farnese Vini
14:49 - Katusha
14:52 - Movistar
14:55 - NetApp
14:58 - Rabobank
15:01 - Saxo Bank
15:04 - Liquigas-Cannondale
15:07 - Astana
15:10 - Omega Pharma-QuickStep
15:13 - Vacansoleil-DCM
15:16 - Team Sky
15:19 - Radioshack-Nissan
15:22 - Orica-GreenEdge
15:25 - Garmin-Barracuda
15:28 - BMC Racing Team

« Reply #36 on: 10 May, 2012, 11:00:52 am »
?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

citoyen

« Reply #37 on: 10 May, 2012, 11:01:13 am »
Wake up, Riggers old chap.

d.

plug

« Reply #38 on: 10 May, 2012, 11:03:08 am »
Team Time Warp

Riggers

« Reply #39 on: 10 May, 2012, 11:08:39 am »
Oh you rotten buggers. Yes, I've made a huge mistake.

Right. What are they doing today?

citoyen

« Reply #40 on: 10 May, 2012, 11:10:13 am »
Following Cav over the finish line, with any luck.

d.

plug

« Reply #41 on: 10 May, 2012, 11:11:26 am »
Not much steering:

Riggers

« Reply #42 on: 10 May, 2012, 11:15:49 am »
Now, that's a real Roman Road!

« Reply #43 on: 10 May, 2012, 09:41:25 pm »
(click to show/hide)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

giro d'italia 2012
« Reply #44 on: 10 May, 2012, 10:17:08 pm »
Goss and Cav are clearly a league apart from the rest of the field on current form. And Cav is a league apart from Goss.

d.

« Reply #45 on: 11 May, 2012, 08:55:02 am »
Not intending to be too parochial but isn’t it great that we’re living in a golden age of British pro road racing?  Had it existed 5 years ago, this board would have been flooded with posts following a Brit winning a Grand Tour stage.  32 Cavendish grand tour stages later and we’re all a bit matter-of-fact about it.  It would have been good enough with Wiggins, Froome, Thomas et al, but Cavendish puts a very think layer of icing on what would already have been a very rich cake.

citoyen

« Reply #46 on: 11 May, 2012, 10:34:13 am »
Yeah, it's great to see so many truly world class British riders at the sharp end of the peloton. And almost unbelievable to think that we're going into this year's Tour de France with a British rider considered not just a genuine contender but one of the favourites.

This makes great reading:
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/531711/british-professional-road-wins-2012.html

Having said all that, there was nothing matter of fact about Cav's win yesterday. I thought Goss was going to pip him on the line, but the front-on view made it look much closer than it actually was. Cav completely buried himself - you could see from the state of him afterwards how much he'd put into that sprint, how badly he wanted it - getting to stand on the podium with his newborn baby daughter in his arms obviously great motivation. The big softy.  ;D

d.

« Reply #47 on: 11 May, 2012, 01:21:21 pm »
In his interview he suggested that he hadn't been feeling OK after the crash and that Sky had pretty much announced that they wouldn't be working to chase down any breaks.  If it came down to a sprint and he was there then he wouldn't turn it down, but it was up to other teams, particularly Garmin, to put the hard work in.  That must have been a contributing factor in the train working so well, because I didn't see Sky jerseys right at the front until the train formes about 5 or 6 km to go.  It still relied on the man himself a) getting over the hill with his team - something which Farrar, Ferrari,  JJ Haedo, Hushovd and Guardini failed to do, and b) finishing it off, when not feeling 100%

Was that Geraint Thomas as the last Sky rider to peel away?  I haven't noticed Eisel being up there at the business end but it's not easy to make out who's who.

Taylor Phinney seems like a popular chap.  It's big of him not to blame his performance yesterday and in the TTT on his stitched up ankle.

citoyen

« Reply #48 on: 11 May, 2012, 02:24:28 pm »
In his interview he suggested that he hadn't been feeling OK after the crash and that Sky had pretty much announced that they wouldn't be working to chase down any breaks.  If it came down to a sprint and he was there then he wouldn't turn it down, but it was up to other teams, particularly Garmin, to put the hard work in.

Well, that just makes the win all the more impressive!

Was that Geraint Thomas as the last Sky rider to peel away?

Yeah, G can add "world-class leadout man" to his growing list of talents.  ;D

d.

citoyen

« Reply #49 on: 11 May, 2012, 02:49:55 pm »
  It still relied on the man himself a) getting over the hill with his team - something which Farrar, Ferrari,  JJ Haedo, Hushovd and Guardini failed to do, and b) finishing it off, when not feeling 100%

I guess Cav isn't the only one feeling less than his best - Hushovd and Roman Feillu have abandoned today.

d.