General Category > The Knowledge

Rack packs / bags

<< < (2/4) > >>

Kim:
The faffiness of velcro straps depends on what the rack's like:  If you've got to pass the strap between the tube of the rack and a mud-deflection plate, it can be quite fiddly (especially if the bike's against a wall), whereas if there's loads of room between the rack and the wheel so you can easily get your hand in underneath it's quite straightforward.

Either way, it's not QR like the Topeak or Racktime racks, where you just push a button and slide them in/out.  More glove-friendly.

I like the Super-C because it's no-nonsense (no zips to go wrong when you cram it full of unexpectedly unwanted layers), waterproof and it should last for ages.  I dislike that it's basically one big compartment for your lock to bounce up and down on your lunch in when lightly loaded.

I like the Arkel Tailrider because it has lots of little pockets for keeping tools and things organised, and because it doesn't look like an out-of-place shoebox on a 'fast' bike.  I dislike the low capacity and shower-cap waterproofing.

I like the Carradice Prima because it's a good compromise between volume and pockets.  It isn't waterproof, and has now been discontinued.  I've re-velcroed mine once, and am wondering if the zips will last long enough to re-velcro it again.

I had one of those ugly Carradura expanding-wedge bags for a bit.  The zips failed.  You get what you pay for.

I reckon there's a strong argument for avoiding zips, especially if it's getting daily use.  So either a roll closure or drawstring+flap.

Bolt:

--- Quote from: phil w on 17 February, 2020, 10:29:49 pm ---I meant the lid is quick release buckles but maybe they meant from the rack, it Isn’t clear. But the Velcro attachment is quick release from rack as far as I’m concerned. Can confirm it works in hours and hours of rain.

--- End quote ---

I agree that the velcro straps can be considered quick release when they fasten to the exterior of the bag, but those that fasten together under the rack can be a faff where there's limited clearance. 

Sergeant Pluck:

--- Quote from: Bolt on 17 February, 2020, 09:54:12 pm ---I think finding something to match all of your requirements may be tricky.  There's the huge LOMO 15L roll top rack pack which I have used and is great, but it's certainly not a neat option when empty.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Bolt. Yes, I've looked at those LOMO ones. Ortlieb do similar looking roll tops but it turns out that they are not rack packs as such but designed to strap across a set of panniers. I think I'll look again at the Topeaks. They do get lots of good reviews. 

Bolt:

--- Quote from: Sergeant Pluck on 18 February, 2020, 03:29:47 pm ---
Thanks Bolt. Yes, I've looked at those LOMO ones. Ortlieb do similar looking roll tops but it turns out that they are not rack packs as such but designed to strap across a set of panniers. I think I'll look again at the Topeaks. They do get lots of good reviews.

--- End quote ---

The LOMO is indeed an proper rack pack, it uses a velcro "landing strip" that attaches to the rack then the bag is fastened to the using a combination of velcro and quick release buckles. This is the one I have https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/dry-bike-tail-bag.html but I see they're out of stock until April.  It's a great bag but probably more suited to laden touring than commuting.  The Topeak DXP is a really excellent do it all bag, my advice is get the big one the (DXP)if you go for the Topeak, it'll take 4 bottles of wine in each pannier and a loaf of bread and more in the top compartment :thumbsup:

HeltorChasca:
I had one of these https://www.rutlandcycling.com/accessories/bags-luggage/ortlieb-trunk-bag-8l_455367?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=OF8409&gclid=Cj0KCQiAs67yBRC7ARIsAF49CdWYl0b8arJaGpPyZ82rn1x4aNwLWy3YHslXIji4nfoY42b5dtUr0JMaAlg8EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Best thing was the QR system. Recommended.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version