Author Topic: Steam & Spokes Spectacular  (Read 2123 times)

Steam & Spokes Spectacular
« on: 01 December, 2009, 09:05:09 am »
Listen fellas, I have an idea. Last year there was some interest in a heritage railway get together, bikes and trains and beer. There was some chatter about steam trains recently after clarion spotted a Battle of Britain in London.

The National Railway Museum in York has Duchess of Hamilton until the end of 2010, it's splendid, re streamlined, all shiny red and gold. The fastest steam train in the world is there along with some other really interesting exhibits, a Japanese Bullet Train, a huge Chinese locomotive amongst others. I particularly like the view of the workshop where one can see whatever they are working on in pieces.

Here in Leeds is the worlds oldest continuously operating railway, The Milddleton Railway, mostly industrial locos built in the street where I now work, maybe even on the same site. Short track, 1 mile.

32 miles away from York is the North Yorkshire Moors Railway with 18 miles of track and another A4, Sir Nigel Gresley. This is Heartbeat country, the splendid North Yorkshire Moors. They have special events weekends on throughout the year. In addition at Pickering there is a big traction engine rally in August.

I'm thinking of a camping or YH long weekend to visit these three sites or maybe just the NRM and NYMR, cycle between them, then if we can take the NYMR to Whitby and have some time at the seaside. Ride back to York or Darlington or somewhere else for trains home.

Any interest ?

Si

Re: Steam & Spokes Spectacular
« Reply #1 on: 01 December, 2009, 09:28:25 am »
Any interest ?

Yup, depending when it is.

Mmmmm, LMS Pacifics, the lake crimson and gold, the throbbing power....oo, I've just had a trouser moment.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #2 on: 01 December, 2009, 10:04:24 am »
Sounds good Martin.
I will more than likely join you.
I have been thinking of doing a cycling tour for awhile and this sounds a great idea.
I will also drag Mrs Steve Gt along as well.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 01 December, 2009, 10:20:49 am »
Flippin eck, that sounds great :)

Can't promise we'd be there for it - lots of variables at the moment.  But I like the idea.

Last year at the York rally, a few of us, including David Martin and his kids, Butterfly, Superstoker & a few others, went to the NRM and had a great time.
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4 on: 01 December, 2009, 10:44:25 am »
Interested (but depends on date).
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #5 on: 01 December, 2009, 10:56:11 am »
There are steam trains at Embsay near Skipton too and IIRC atHunslet near Leeds .As a note of warning I have seen or read somewhere that the North Yorks moor Railway is closed for some bridge repairs ,although I dont know the timescale on that .I am not a steam enthusiast but wasnt Mallard the fastest steam train ?
Saw Leander on saturday.

« Reply #6 on: 01 December, 2009, 11:08:11 am »
The Hunslet one IS the Middleton Railway. Yes, Mallard, 4468, is the fastest steam locomotive in the world, it's at the NRM.

I think for a long weekend the Embsay Steam Railway is too far out of the way, it would be nice to incorporate it and The Keighley & Worth Valley Railway too though.  Maybe another trip ?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 01 December, 2009, 11:08:41 am »
There's the Keighley & Worth Valley, too.  If you're lucky, you might spot Jenny Agutter ripping up her bloomers to wave at the train :P

EDIT: Crossposted with MSeries.
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 01 December, 2009, 11:12:25 am »
There's the Keighley & Worth Valley, too.  If you're lucky, you might spot Jenny Agutter ripping up her bloomers to wave at the train :P

and the loco used in that film is at The Middleton Railway.

It's almost a shame to take the train across the North Yorks Moors and from Keighley to Haworth and Oxenhope. It's spectacular cycling country.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 01 December, 2009, 11:14:47 am »
I didn't know that.  Sad to say, in all the years I lived in Leeds, I managed to get a couple of trips to the KWVR, and the NYM, even the SVR, but never went to the Middleton railway. :-[

I'm keen to ride the Embsay railway, cause I've never had time to do that when I've been in Skipton. :(
Getting there...

« Reply #10 on: 01 December, 2009, 11:17:29 am »
I must confess that I have never been to the Middleton Railway nor the KWVR, though seen the trains when cycling up there. Me & Mrs MSeries did a Santa Special on the NYMR then had Boxing Day Lunch on the train the following year, great fun.

Would love to revisit the SVR, last time was about 1979 I think

Si

« Reply #11 on: 01 December, 2009, 11:30:04 am »
Would love to revisit the SVR, last time was about 1979 I think

It's got a bit longer since then, and now has a bike path running along side parts of it - all very nice unless you try to go down there on your 'bent.

I will, no doubt, do another ride or six along it this year - all are invited!

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #12 on: 01 December, 2009, 11:38:23 am »
Yes Please.
So as not to take up too much valuable bike space on the trains concerned, I may cheat and be Brompton-assisted.  Therefore having a perfect excuse to not do too much of this strange sigh-kling activity.  And have longer on the trains!
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #13 on: 01 December, 2009, 11:44:25 am »

Steady on old chap.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #14 on: 01 December, 2009, 12:28:29 pm »
A bit off topic, but to celebrate our anniversary, I booked a evening meal on the NYMR pullman diner service. We were lucky enough to be seated in the really old dining carriage. Very romantic and a splendid evening. I would recommend it.
As my anniversary is late October, it was pitch dark for the train ride, so, no scenery. I booked another meal for the 2 of us one friday in July. Still a great night out, but as you are mostly travelling along the bottom of the dale the views were  a bit dissapointing. Better views to be had when you are sat on top of your bike!     

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 01 December, 2009, 12:31:01 pm »
Yebbut, you can't eat dinner while riding your bike!

Actually, let me rephrase that.  You can't eat a dinner that Mrs GT would regard as a romantic evening out whilst riding your bike ;D

Getting there...

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #16 on: 01 December, 2009, 12:31:52 pm »
True ;)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #17 on: 01 December, 2009, 03:11:55 pm »
I am interested