Author Topic: An anniversary  (Read 744 times)

An anniversary
« on: 24 February, 2013, 07:54:08 pm »
Nine years ago today, I posted this in the old C+ forum

Exactly one year ago today, a fat, nervous, middle-aged bloke, who hadn’t been on a bike for over five years, and hadn’t ridden regularly for over ten, climbed onto his shiny new mountain bike and set off on the just under three mile ride to work. 

Today, I’m five and a half stone lighter (not entirely due to the cycling), much fitter, and trying to work out how to use the bike more.  Illness and holidays apart, I’ve ridden in four days a week for the whole year

The first couple of weeks were hard work, but it soon got easier.

So, if there are any lurkers out there, who, like me a year ago, were trying to summon up the enthusiasm to restart cycling – go for it!  One of the best things I’ve done in years.

Thanks (or blame) must go to:

Abby (a colleague who told me I should start cycling when I moved that close to work)

Verity (an old college friend who’s also recently restarted cycling, which persuaded me that age wouldn’t work as an excuse)

And our own Ravenbait, whose rants on her web site chipped away at the other excuses I kept finding for driving in

I’ve also found the C+ forums invaluable for advice and encouragement, even though I mainly lurk.

Thanks Chaps

Steve

So that makes it ten years back on the bike!  I now have two steeds, have been known to potter out for an hour or so on a Sunday morning as well as two or three lunchtimes during the week, so I'm almost a 'real' cyclist! 
Unfortunately, two and a half of the missing stones have reappeared in the meantime (although I'll claim some of that is muscle I certainly did not have before), but mostly it's been great--and it wouldn't have happened without you lot!

Thanks
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."