Author Topic: LBS - wheel verdict...  (Read 4658 times)

Re: LBS - wheel verdict...
« Reply #25 on: 19 July, 2011, 01:52:55 pm »
Clarion had a barely-used Mavic rim for sale for a tenner.

Spokes - shouldn't cost you that much. Sapim leader are 30p each from spa, 10p for nipples.

So you can do it for £25
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #26 on: 19 July, 2011, 01:58:10 pm »
Only thinking about the front wheel...

In that case a Deore will be a good idea for the weather sealing (if you don't mind a tiny amount of extra drag compared to Chorus).

XT: There have been a lot of reports that modern XT hubs aren't as durable as Deore or as XTs used to be.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #27 on: 19 July, 2011, 02:48:01 pm »
Clarion had a barely-used Mavic rim for sale for a tenner.

Spokes - shouldn't cost you that much. Sapim leader are 30p each from spa, 10p for nipples.

So you can do it for £25

Thanks.  Just missed the rim - par for the course re. my usual luck in these things.

Is spoke double butting worth the extra..?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #28 on: 19 July, 2011, 02:50:59 pm »
Only thinking about the front wheel...

In that case a Deore will be a good idea for the weather sealing (if you don't mind a tiny amount of extra drag compared to Chorus).

XT: There have been a lot of reports that modern XT hubs aren't as durable as Deore or as XTs used to be.

Thanks.

« Reply #29 on: 19 July, 2011, 02:58:32 pm »
Double butting is worth it particularly for front wheels. For a front wheel you could probably easily use ACI Alpina (assuming spa have the correct length)

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s156p531

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #30 on: 19 July, 2011, 03:05:04 pm »
Is spoke double butting worth the extra..?

DB spokes don't fatigue as much, but fatigue is rarely a problem in front wheels anyway.  They are lighter as well, though.

They're not much more expensive in the long run, considering they'll outlast several rims.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #31 on: 19 July, 2011, 04:25:01 pm »
Double butting is worth it particularly for front wheels.

They're more worth it for rear wheels - respected opinion is that the increased elasticity of the narrower butted section allows for a little more movement, reducing flex at the elbow, which is what generally causes breakages.  Jobst Brandt has a lot to say about it on rec.bicycles.tech if anybody fancies a google.

Having said that some builders put plain gauge (or heavier butted spokes) on the rear drive side to (in their opinion) counter the effect of the difference in tensions either side of a dished wheel.  I don't, personally, but Chris Juden, amongst others, argues that it's a good idea. 

Double butted spokes are worth it at both ends IMHO.

« Reply #32 on: 19 July, 2011, 08:03:28 pm »
Out of interest Andy, which LBS?

« Reply #33 on: 19 July, 2011, 08:59:15 pm »
Out of interest Andy, which LBS?

Hi FF...  :)  YHPM.