Author Topic: Interesting or unusual planes?  (Read 387716 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Reply #1450 on: 06 July, 2018, 06:39:46 am »
The Harrier in the Horseguards exhibition is a GR3 (well, to be accurate I think it’s a full-scale fibreglass mock-up of a GR3). It was retired for the exceptionally good reason that it was replaced by the GR5 (otherwise known as the AV8B), which itself was replaced and modified to become the GR7, and later GR9.

There were engineering issues that complicated the decision as to whether to carry on flying the GR9 fleet in 2010, but the bottom line was the defence budget under Cameron (and to this day) was so over-committed that something had to give. The remaining aircraft (around 70 or so) were sold to the US Marine Corps as spares for their AV8B fleet, which is still operating.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1451 on: 06 July, 2018, 09:26:51 am »
Wop! Wop! Wop!

The unmistakable sound of a Huey - or the civilian equivalent, it was white - flying over Middleton last evening around 8. Knew what it was before anyone could see it.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

fuzzy

« Reply #1452 on: 06 July, 2018, 10:07:43 am »
Wop! Wop! Wop!

The unmistakable sound of a Huey - or the civilian equivalent, it was white - flying over Middleton last evening around 8. Knew what it was before anyone could see it.

'Tis a lovely sound isn't it Tors? When I hear a Huey, I also hear the soundtrack to Apocolypse Now in my head :)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1453 on: 06 July, 2018, 10:43:27 am »
wait til you hear one of those Osprey tilt rotor thingies - nothing else like it

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1454 on: 06 July, 2018, 11:17:07 am »
Wop! Wop! Wop!

'Tis a lovely sound isn't it Tors? When I hear a Huey, I also hear the soundtrack to Apocolypse Now in my head :)

Me too. Sadly, when you look at the local population, the soundtrack is more remininiscent of 'The Walking Dead' . . .
VELOMANCER

fuzzy

« Reply #1455 on: 06 July, 2018, 11:30:08 am »
 ;D

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1456 on: 06 July, 2018, 12:20:39 pm »
Consulting Wikipedia, I've put 2 & 2 together and come up with a plausible reason.

Most likely what I saw was a Bell 204/205, the civilian version. One of the stated uses for such a machine is fire fighting, the course of the aircraft was away from Winter Hill and towards Saddleworth Moor...
VELOMANCER

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1457 on: 06 July, 2018, 01:12:42 pm »
Wop! Wop! Wop!

I thought of The Ride of the Valkyries as soon as I saw "Huey".

Also thought that they'd better not fly too low over Italian restaurants, but of course we're not allowed to say that these days.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1458 on: 06 July, 2018, 11:45:15 pm »
MOAR pieces of planes today (including something raaaather modern).  I'll wait until Friday evening to take more pics.

P1040649 by Andrij, on Flickr

P1040643 by Andrij, on Flickr

P1040644 by Andrij, on Flickr

P1040645 by Andrij, on Flickr

P1040646 by Andrij, on Flickr

P1040647 by Andrij, on Flickr

P1040648 by Andrij, on Flickr

P1040650 by Andrij, on Flickr

P1040651 by Andrij, on Flickr

Unfortunately the pic of the F-351 came out blurry.

1 Patsy says...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #1459 on: 07 July, 2018, 01:23:56 am »
Mk XVI Spit?

ETA:
Yup.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-20715357

Meteor is coming up as an F4.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #1460 on: 07 July, 2018, 04:23:49 am »
That Spitfire is beautiful.
What's this bottom line for anyway?

Steph

« Reply #1461 on: 07 July, 2018, 09:09:30 am »
The Griffin engine changes the line of the nose significantly, and coupled with the bubble canopy and altered fin design, the later marks always look to me more 'modern' compared with a, say, Mk 5. It's like comparing the lines of an original Porsche 911 with, say, a new Boxster or similar. You can see the similarities, but there is a far more purposeful and efficient look to the later model. The earlier model looks, well...

"The Germans have no word for 'fluffy', Slackbladder"

TimC

« Reply #1462 on: 07 July, 2018, 09:41:21 am »
The Mk XVI Spitfire is not a Griffon-engined variety. It is a modified Mk IX with a Packard-built Merlin 266. The clue is the four-bladed propellor. All Griffon-engined Spitfires have five-bladed props (or a contra-rotating prop in one or two very late examples) as well as a much longer nose.

The Meteor F4 in the display is the actual aircraft that took the world air speed record of 616mph in 1946.

The F35 and Typhoon are replicas, not real aircraft. The GR3, however is real, and not the plastic replica that used to grace Wittering's main gate (which is what I suspected it was!).

Steph

« Reply #1463 on: 07 July, 2018, 12:58:24 pm »
Ah! I saw the four-blade prop and wondered. The only Griffon-engine job I saw regularly was the Mk XIV I remember as parked up at Wittering.

I noted the Beeb report says the Spit is in 'replica' paintwork/markings, but hadn't realised the Meteor was the real thing. I did quite a bit of reading about that world record stuff.

I stick by what I said about the 'purposeful' look, though. I think the Spiteful lost the grace of the whole design with its new wing type, and of course sticking a jet engine into it was just awful.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1464 on: 08 July, 2018, 02:18:18 am »
Not a particularly unusual flying machine
https://twitter.com/CrinklyLion/status/1015327546961989632
But I think the person sat in the front is quite interesting :-)

There's something slightly surreal about seeing your kid launched into the air.

TimC

« Reply #1465 on: 08 July, 2018, 05:23:55 am »
Ah! I saw the four-blade prop and wondered. The only Griffon-engine job I saw regularly was the Mk XIV I remember as parked up at Wittering.

I noted the Beeb report says the Spit is in 'replica' paintwork/markings, but hadn't realised the Meteor was the real thing. I did quite a bit of reading about that world record stuff.

I stick by what I said about the 'purposeful' look, though. I think the Spiteful lost the grace of the whole design with its new wing type, and of course sticking a jet engine into it was just awful.

The Spiteful wasn’t jet (or turboprop) powered, it retained the Griffon of the later Spitfires in the 2375hp ‘69’ version. A development, the Seafang, was made for the RN with folding tips and the contra-rotating prop I referred to earlier. The new wing was designed to cope with the high-subsonic speeds the Griffon-engined aircraft were capable of in a dive at high level. There was a jet-powered naval derivative (well, it used the Seafang’s wing) called the Supermarine Attacker, but that had no parts in common with the Spitfire.

Supermarine Attacker

« Reply #1466 on: 09 July, 2018, 02:07:22 pm »
Talking of Bell helicopters, this was flying when Heather was on the phone from the moorland fire at Winter Hill. Her employer owns half of the affected area, and she had to be there to sign off on it flying. Very much 'Apocalype Now'.

« Reply #1467 on: 10 July, 2018, 10:23:19 am »
Any hints on photographing the flypast? 

First, location, location, location https://secretldn.com/raf100-flypast-london-route-map/

I figger that the Wanstead Flats (where I live) has all the possibilities with my favourite being the point about 500m south of the track looking north, it appears to go straight over the Green Man roundabout so I could go north looking south, but that would suggest more issues with light contrast.

Second, photo techy.

I intend using my m4/3 DSLR set to manual, set with a 150-600 zoom stopped to f8 and set to manual focus at infinity. Flip out screen on a tripod and I should be all set, and be able to watch it at the same time.

I don't intend using a second camera, although I'm toying with the idea of running a 360 movie.

Third, photo technique

I was intending locking it onto a point on the flight path and pressing the shutter as and when, probably front three quarter view. That will lead to a load of broadly similar photos, but won't distract from the experience of the moment.

Any suggestions from people who have done this before - or even those who haven't but want to provide their wisdom and perspective, this is Teh Internets after all - gratefully received

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1468 on: 10 July, 2018, 10:25:41 am »
Not a particularly unusual flying machine
https://twitter.com/CrinklyLion/status/1015327546961989632
But I think the person sat in the front is quite interesting :-)

There's something slightly surreal about seeing your kid launched into the air.

Flyin' lion!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1469 on: 10 July, 2018, 10:31:21 am »

You won't get great results from Morecambe...?

WOT!
VELOMANCER

« Reply #1470 on: 10 July, 2018, 10:37:38 am »

You won't get great results from Morecambe...?

WOT!

That's wise.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1471 on: 10 July, 2018, 10:58:20 am »
You're welcome!  ;D
VELOMANCER

fuzzy

« Reply #1472 on: 10 July, 2018, 11:53:08 am »
Just heard (then seen) a brace of Chinooks heading from the general direction of Benson towards Taht London.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1473 on: 10 July, 2018, 12:47:29 pm »
Helichopters!  Many helichopters - five or six Chinooks and three or four smaller jobs heading east over Epping Forest while I was on my way to Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles just now.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1474 on: 10 July, 2018, 01:30:52 pm »

First, location, location, location https://secretldn.com/raf100-flypast-london-route-map/

I figger that the Wanstead Flats (where I live) has all the possibilities with my favourite being the point about 500m south of the track looking north, it appears to go straight over the Green Man roundabout so I could go north looking south, but that would suggest more issues with light contrast.

Second, photo techy.

I intend using my m4/3 DSLR set to manual, set with a 150-600 zoom stopped to f8 and set to manual focus at infinity. Flip out screen on a tripod and I should be all set, and be able to watch it at the same time.

I don't intend using a second camera, although I'm toying with the idea of running a 360 movie.

Third, photo technique

I was intending locking it onto a point on the flight path and pressing the shutter as and when, probably front three quarter view. That will lead to a load of broadly similar photos, but won't distract from the experience of the moment.

Any suggestions from people who have done this before - or even those who haven't but want to provide their wisdom and perspective, this is Teh Internets after all - gratefully received

Things I learned:

Fahgehtabbaht the tripod.

Good move about the manual exposure.

Not so sure about the manual focus.

Not bad lens choice.

Could do better.

There is such a thing as too close. Was directly below the flight path.

Photies arrive shortly.