Author Topic: SONOS - a revelation  (Read 8736 times)

Re: SONOS - a revelation
« Reply #50 on: 25 January, 2020, 01:47:56 pm »
I'm sure everyone wants their ancient underpowered devices to keep up with the latest gadgets, but dream on.  Expecting enhancements for old devices to continue indefinitely isn't realistic.

People aren't asking for that.  That is not the cause of the current outrage.  If you'd read and understood the background to this, you'd realise that.  Look at the thread I linked to and it will become clear after just a few minutes' reading.

Ancient?  Sonos's new plan is forced obsolescence (and holding owners to ransom) every few years - on premium audio devices and entire home networks costing a fortune, and ones whose USP and principal reason for most people's purchase was the multi-room synchronised+differentiated capability (with the inherent multi-buy implication).  This isn't like changing your smartphone every three years.  And even if it was, Sonos's proposed hobbling of all components on a network just because of one legacy device being present means the comparisons of Sonos development with phones or similar tech that some people make are irrelevant and useless.

Sonos is royally attempting to screw current users over and will do the same again in a few years under the new strategy if the Sonos community allows it by not standing up and fighting now.

Its very easy to slag off Sonos.  Its not so easy to see what else they could do.

What?  There are a lot of well-informed people - expert tech developers, software/hardware vendors and Sonos users/proponents/aficionados - on the various Sonos discussion threads who have made it clear this is straightforward for Sonos to solve technically.  It just doesn't suit the new ultra-greedy business model, which is backfiring spectacularly.

« Reply #51 on: 25 January, 2020, 01:55:43 pm »
Not dissimilar to Apple or Android where older devices can’t be updated to the latest OS. And?  And I speak as a Sonos owner, albeit only since 2017. Maybe I’ll be able to pick up some bargains from disaffected owners  ;)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #52 on: 25 January, 2020, 02:03:33 pm »
Not dissimilar to Apple or Android where older devices can’t be updated to the latest OS. And?

As I said:

This isn't like changing smartphones every three years.  And even if it was, Sonos's proposed hobbling of all components on a network just because of one legacy device being present means the comparisons of Sonos development with phones or similar tech that some people make are irrelevant and useless.

Just a few minutes on the thread I linked to makes everything clear - there's hundreds of well-informed people on that forum all explaining why this is an incredibly dumb move by Sonos.  There is no one defending Sonos's actions, other than Sonos execs and one or two Sonos tech support guys instructed to trot out (rather reluctantly) the current party line.....as those actions and the strategy are indefensible and incredibly poorly thought out.

ian

« Reply #53 on: 25 January, 2020, 07:26:43 pm »
So, people are angry on the internet. Oh my.

I believe they're working on a reasonable compromise which is to preserve the existing functionality of legacy devices without affecting non-legacy devices. Yeah, they could have thought through things better in the first place. Same with the trade-up programme that bricked old devices.

Fact is, all these devices will be superseded at some point. I have a couple of basic speakers that don't meet the hardware specs for Airplay 2, for instance. The acceptable compromise is to pair them up with speakers that can, which is fine, and should really have been the suggested way forward for legacy devices. They remain a functional part of the network, but nope, I can't zing them direct from my iPhone.

This is the way we live now, all vendors of similar wireless systems will have the same issues. The alternative is to use old fashioned wires.

« Reply #54 on: 25 January, 2020, 08:39:28 pm »
So, people are angry on the internet. Oh my.

And check what it's done to the value of the company, in just a few days.....oh my indeed.

I believe they're working on a reasonable compromise which is to preserve the existing functionality of legacy devices without affecting non-legacy devices. Yeah, they could have thought through things better in the first place.

Not reasonable at all considering the basis on which Sonos has marketed and sold its expensive goods hitherto.  And you've conveniently missed out identifying the problems of this 'compromise' associated with having mixed networks, as probably the majority of owners have installed.....as well as with having a legacy network that one wishes to expand or replace dead devices on, or replace a controller on, after May 2020.

This is the way we live now, all vendors of similar wireless systems will have the same issues. The alternative is to use old fashioned wires.

People only want Sonos for streaming audio simply and multi-room, which works perfectly well wireless already with legacy and mixed networks.  Most don't want all the other crap, and the uprising is making this clear to Sonos.  If Sonos absolutely has to push the other crap, solve it by designing a new device that can handle it and down-sample as necessary to legacy kit, preserving all the full network grouping operability.  It's quite straightforward to solve, and persisting with all devices on a network needing the grunt to handle whatever hi-res or other features may be coming, otherwise they can't group, is ridiculous.  If owners persevere with the pressure, for example by creating a fuss that also happens to wipe hundreds of millions off the shares value of those who direct/support the organisation’s new path, Sonos may cave in.

But I suppose if one likes bending over to get rogered in the backside by corporate/shareholder greed, even though a much more sensible and sustainable (but less lucrative for the greedy) alternative is available, yours is the right attitude to have.

As it happens, I will be hardly affected by this round of being held to ransom.....but if Sonos succeeds at this one, there'll be another round the corner as the current crop is rendered 'non-groupable except with itself' by the next need to increase memory by a whole, what, 512MB.

Anyway, why so keen to blithely accept being shat on...….and the disgraceful generation of completely unnecessary and avoidable e-waste it encourages?

ian

« Reply #55 on: 25 January, 2020, 09:17:17 pm »
I dunno, how do you make old hardware support a modern service that's beyond its capabilities. There's an inherent compromise in these things.

But yeah, it's speakers, and we have climate change, the rise of the right, and little things like that to trouble us. Honestly, when the cannibal zombies come (space virus, probs), you'll find bashing them with a Sonos speaker wanting.

« Reply #56 on: 25 January, 2020, 09:43:42 pm »
Grow up.

ian

« Reply #57 on: 25 January, 2020, 09:46:54 pm »
Stop it, I may cry.

« Reply #58 on: 25 January, 2020, 11:32:34 pm »
No need to cry - the forum's quite forgiving when people post foolishly or without thinking things through first, which I know is a fashionable and cool thing to do.

« Reply #59 on: 26 January, 2020, 02:18:12 pm »
And in case anyone thinks this is easy, just look at the problems Bose have had with updates breaking their devices.  Actually breaking a working device, not ceasing to provide enhancements at some point in the future. 

I can see the difficulties. Much more to come, I’m sure, in the world of “smart homes”:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/sonos-outrage-legacy-speakers

It’s true that I accept that after a few years I’ll need to upgrade my £700 phone but I think of things like speakers differently.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/speakers/news/sonos/150858-sonos-ceo-we-didn-t-get-this-right-says-legacy-devices-will-work-after-may

Spence reaffirmed that older Sonos devices - including the first-gen Sonos Play:5, Zone Players, Connect and Connect:Amp products made between 2011 and 2015 - will "continue to work as they do today".

... which I’m perfectly happy with.

Speaking of Bose, their latest update has left my QC35s much less capable than when I bought them, having almost eliminated the headphones’ main feature, noise cancellation.

« Reply #60 on: 14 April, 2022, 09:52:14 pm »
All of a sudden (*) I am not able to play any radio through Sonos.
I was using the Tunein service and listened daily.  Now none of them work.

I found this link but even trying to add the streaming URL doesn't work.
 https://www.the-ambient.com/how-to/sonos-radio-issues-not-working-playing-uk-2510#fix

Has anyone else got this problem or any clues on how to fix ?  This is a major pisser for me.

(* a great mealy puddin', etc)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #61 on: 14 April, 2022, 10:01:17 pm »
All of a sudden
a great mealy puddin'

Came flyin' through the air...

Sorry, I have no idea about the actual problem.
Perhaps others can finish the verse?

« Reply #62 on: 14 April, 2022, 10:05:08 pm »
OK, theyre not available via Tunein, but BBC sounds is now available as a service on Sonos so you need to link your BBC account to sonos and play the radio thru BBC Sounds service.   (ditto  for other radio's like absolute, etc)

Funny how it just just happened now to me.    I'm less and less impressed by Sonos functionality but still love the sound quality.

« Reply #63 on: 14 April, 2022, 10:08:02 pm »
All of a sudden
a great mealy puddin'

Came flyin' through the air...

Sorry, I have no idea about the actual problem.
Perhaps others can finish the verse?

;D
https://allpoetry.com/poem/13541699-Mrs-McGuigan-by-Kit-Duddy