Author Topic: Tubeless for Dummies  (Read 194249 times)

Phil W

Re: Tubeless for Dummies
« Reply #900 on: 13 February, 2019, 05:55:23 pm »

Cheers. Am trying to work out what to run on the TCR (and how to get there)

J

I am due to have delivered some Sector 32s.  Ran the 28s on my old frame and not a puncture in four years and they rolled much better than the Durano Plus 23s they replaced.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #901 on: 13 February, 2019, 07:44:04 pm »
Has anyone tried flying with tubeless tyres? Any issues to be be aware of?
Unless you get a hand inspection by someone who insists you should completely deflate your tyres you're fine. (I always let a little air out so I can declare in all honesty that yes, I did deflate my tyres  ;D) If you deflate the tyre to the point that the bead comes loose from the lip of the rim you're SOL unless you bring a compressor.
I have only put my bike on 3 planes (all BA), but one handler (a very thorough German) did go for hand inspection, and wouldn't be fooled by my fairly-flat tyres*, thus wasting more of my time :(

So it does happen. HTH.

*Clinchers of course  :smug:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #902 on: 13 February, 2019, 07:50:29 pm »
This is good guide to flying and covers what has been discussed here: https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/bikes-public-transport/bikes-air

On a different topic, got an old wheel out yesterday, and could not get the tyre off on one side (S-One + Pancenti SL23), try as hard as I could - ended up cutting it off as was a worn out tyre, but is there a trick to unseating recalcitrant beads? Felt like the sealant had effectively glued it to the rim.

Interesting. I ran S-Ones on SL25’s for 18 months and had no trouble unseating the bead by hand. Maybe it depends on how much sealant gets around the bead initially?  I always seat the tyres first using a soapy spray, then add sealant through the valve.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #903 on: 13 February, 2019, 08:54:12 pm »
Has anyone here experience of both Hutchinson Sector 28s and IRC Formula Pro X-Guard 28s?

I've been using the Sector 28s for several years and I'm happy with them in all areas bar wet grip. I'm now considering the IRCs specifically for their alleged very good grip in the wet, but I've not read a direct comparison between the two and hence don't know what to expect in other respects. So, I'm wondering if anyone here can comment on their experiences of the differences between the two in terms of things such as comfort and durability.

« Reply #904 on: 02 March, 2019, 09:12:21 pm »
This is good guide to flying and covers what has been discussed here: https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/bikes-public-transport/bikes-air

On a different topic, got an old wheel out yesterday, and could not get the tyre off on one side (S-One + Pancenti SL23), try as hard as I could - ended up cutting it off as was a worn out tyre, but is there a trick to unseating recalcitrant beads? Felt like the sealant had effectively glued it to the rim.

Interesting. I ran S-Ones on SL25’s for 18 months and had no trouble unseating the bead by hand. Maybe it depends on how much sealant gets around the bead initially?  I always seat the tyres first using a soapy spray, then add sealant through the valve.

Hmm, well today I had to dismount a Hutchinson tyre from the Pacenti’s.  Bloody hell that was well seated  :o

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #905 on: 03 March, 2019, 03:03:47 pm »
Planet X are now selling some tubeless ready wide tyres for much cheaper than in other shops - my dad just bought a set (£21 each).

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYCLBOSTRF/clement-bos-tubeless-ready-folding-tyre-700c

Apparently Panaracer Gravelkings are fine to run tubelessly too https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYPAGRFT/panaracer-gravel-king-folding-tyre
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #906 on: 03 March, 2019, 03:07:33 pm »
I wouldn't recommend running non-tubeless tyres as tubeless.

Gravelkings come in tubeless version too

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #907 on: 13 March, 2019, 01:56:49 pm »
I would say that those gravelkings are probably not tubeless ready.  Email planet x and ask them

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #908 on: 13 March, 2019, 02:08:44 pm »
ok tubeless update

I got some specialized 2bliss tyres.  They are 31mm, flexible, pretty much slick, Specialized compound.  On the invoice they were described as

Specialized
Black
Roubaix Pro 2Bliss Ready Clincher Tyre (Tubeless)

So the first thing I did was try to fit them to my wheels on the best bike which are Velocity Ailerons.  These have worked fine with Vittoria Adventure II tubeless and Schwalbe S-One tubeless.  However, the 2bliss tyres did not want to inflate.  I tried them with a tube inside to stretch them a bit but this didn't help.  After a couple of unrewarding afternoons with sealant spraying about I gave up

Today I had another go.  I put them on a spare wheel ( Fulcrum DB Sport ) and they worked straight away.  I had to use sealant but I think that was leakage around the valve - these wheels hadn't been tubeless before, it was a new valve

In other news I also have some of the new continental 5000 tyres on order and some Pacenti rims

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #909 on: 13 March, 2019, 04:47:50 pm »
ok tubeless update

I got some specialized 2bliss tyres.  They are 31mm, flexible, pretty much slick, Specialized compound.  On the invoice they were described as

Specialized
Black
Roubaix Pro 2Bliss Ready Clincher Tyre (Tubeless)

So the first thing I did was try to fit them to my wheels on the best bike which are Velocity Ailerons.  These have worked fine with Vittoria Adventure II tubeless and Schwalbe S-One tubeless.  However, the 2bliss tyres did not want to inflate.  I tried them with a tube inside to stretch them a bit but this didn't help.  After a couple of unrewarding afternoons with sealant spraying about I gave up

Today I had another go.  I put them on a spare wheel ( Fulcrum DB Sport ) and they worked straight away.  I had to use sealant but I think that was leakage around the valve - these wheels hadn't been tubeless before, it was a new valve

In other news I also have some of the new continental 5000 tyres on order and some Pacenti rims

I had an issue recently with lack of inflation which was the valve core needed replacing as the air whilst going in, wasn't going in quick enough even at 140psi
Regards,

Joergen

simonp

« Reply #910 on: 15 March, 2019, 12:12:30 pm »
Trying to put Conti 5000s on my rims. Big pain in the arse is removing the old rim tape (maybe it would have worked but it's not tubeless tape). Left a layer of sticky gunk on the inside of the rim. I tried acetone which was fairly ineffective but I found motorcycle chain cleaner worked better. I'll have to go around again with the acetone to make sure there's no residue from the cleaner before I try applying the rim tape.

It's already seeming like more hassle than it's likely to be worth.

simonp

« Reply #911 on: 15 March, 2019, 08:59:19 pm »
Well I managed to get the rim clean enough, taped, put the valve and tyre on - sealed around the rim with no sealant, but leaking from the valve hole a bit. Stan's sealant injected and it holds 80psi seemingly without issue.  :thumbsup:

Rear tyre after dinner and then will see if there's any air in there tomorrow.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #912 on: 15 March, 2019, 09:09:36 pm »
I'm going to try to do the tubeless shuffle again tomorrow morning with a few added layers of rim tape. Wish me luck YACF.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

simonp

« Reply #913 on: 16 March, 2019, 03:25:15 pm »
I'm going to try to do the tubeless shuffle again tomorrow morning with a few added layers of rim tape. Wish me luck YACF.

Single layer of Stan's tape, DT Swiss R470 rims, Conti 5000 TL 700x25, DT Swiss Valves. Both tyres sealed just with a track pump, without sealant. With sealant, have stayed up overnight.

I made one mistake: put the o-ring on the first valve on the inside of the rim and it didn't seal reliably. Fixing that and they've both stayed up overnight - need to check pressures before riding. I might add a bit more sealant as a bit got lost with to fix the valve issue.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #914 on: 16 March, 2019, 03:33:59 pm »
Another update

The 31mm Specialized Roubaix Pro 2Bliss Ready tyres are now on the best bike

You may recall that the Velocity Aileron rims on my best bike apparently rejected these tyres on a previous attempt.  But as I got them to work on the Fulcrum rims I thought I'd have another go

First go didn't work.  So I tried the Conti 5000 instead as I had all the kit out.  They didn't work either.
I didn't think that the inflator bottle was working that well.  It didn't seem aggressive enough.  I checked the valve on the wheel, that seemed ok.  So I figured why not try a CO2 inflator instead?  I wouldn't normally do this on tubeless as the CO2 reacts badly with the sealant.

I wacked on a CO2 inflator and .. kapow!  The bead seated and the tyre was up and at a good pressure.

I put the Specialized tyre on and did the same thing.  To get the sealant in
I released the pressure without letting the bead seal go, removed the valve core, added sealant then reinflated with the track pump

Did the back tyre as well.  Rode the bike to the shop and back.  I probably need to have them pumped up a bit less

I think that the inflator bottle must have some crap (leaked out sealant) in the pipes somewhere

I didn't try out the conti 5000 beyond inflating them btw

simonp

« Reply #915 on: 17 March, 2019, 02:35:43 pm »
10-20 psi lost overnight first night. Topped up sealant and pumped back up to 80psi. 3-5psi drop last night groovy.

Going for a ride shortly. Will take spare tubes with me. Need to invest in some tubeless puncture repair stuff.

simonp

« Reply #916 on: 17 March, 2019, 08:32:10 pm »
10-20 psi lost overnight first night. Topped up sealant and pumped back up to 80psi. 3-5psi drop last night groovy.

Going for a ride shortly. Will take spare tubes with me. Need to invest in some tubeless puncture repair stuff.

All good, 58km done. Going from 28mm 4 Seasons to 25mm 5000 TL has made the bike feel a lot faster, and less spongy.

« Reply #917 on: 17 March, 2019, 10:09:31 pm »
My advice, based on 3 years use would be to use Orangeseal endurance sealant, and carry patches to glue on inside of tyre in case of non-sealing puncture. Never got on with those anchovy things.

« Reply #918 on: 17 March, 2019, 10:43:13 pm »
Flexible Superglue is also handy for the rare puncture that sealant can’t cope with

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #919 on: 18 March, 2019, 09:11:14 am »

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #920 on: 18 March, 2019, 10:35:36 am »
My advice, based on 3 years use would be to use Orangeseal endurance sealant, and carry patches to glue on inside of tyre in case of non-sealing puncture. Never got on with those anchovy things.

I think the worms are of variable quality depending on the supplier.  They've worked well for me as long as there is still sealant in the tyre (using Caffelatex)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #921 on: 18 March, 2019, 10:45:51 am »
Which worms have you found best?

simonp

« Reply #922 on: 18 March, 2019, 11:24:59 am »
I looked at dynaplug. The idea of leaving a pointy thing inside the tyre seems to be asking for trouble (puncture again, force it through rim tape).

I also looked at a video demoing using anchovies to fix motorcycle punctures. The kit they used included vulcanising solution to help seal the hole. I guess that might help get a reliable seal if you lack sufficient sealant inside the tyre after the puncture.

« Reply #923 on: 18 March, 2019, 12:16:08 pm »
good article on road.cc

https://road.cc/content/feature/257746-what-they-dont-tell-you-about-tubeless

I was curious re the effect of CO2 and sealants, but have failed to find a comprehensive answer - some say it'll turn the sealant hard, others that it will become watery and ineffective - and that was for Stans in both cases.

Effecto Mariposa (aka Caffelatex) say that it's the thermal shock from the CO2 that can cause polymerisation to start, so exposure to CO2 isn't the issue with their sealant, and if the valve is at 12:00 for some time before inflation - to let the sealant drain away - you should be ok to use CO2 inflators. Maybe it's the same for other sealants too?

On another note - searching the internets hasn't turned up a cogent reason for not using NO2 canisters in place of CO2. I'm sure the chemists here can explain why it's not a good idea...

simonp

« Reply #924 on: 18 March, 2019, 12:26:04 pm »
Stans say CO2 is ok in an emergency, valve at the top.