Author Topic: Baggers do the Netherlands 3rd - 15th August 2019  (Read 6308 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Baggers do the Netherlands 3rd - 15th August 2019
« on: 13 May, 2019, 04:58:21 pm »
Very much a work-in-progress, we are planning a tour, possibly a fortnight long, using our wonderful Thorn tandem. At the moment I'm looking at going out on 5th August, and returning on 19th. The first thing to decide, in my view, is how we get there. I had expected that Eurostar, all the way to Amsterdam, would be cheaper than the ferry, but it would appear not. Firstly, the direct trains from London leave at very inconvenient times: two of them are too early in the day to be of much use - leaving on the 11.04 from St. P would mean trying to take a bike on a train to Lpoo St at a time when such things are banned by Later Angrier. The preferred, train, leaving at 12.58, is £125 per person to get out there, and £51.50 each to return. Add to that £30 each way for each bike (can't take tandems on Eurostar), as well as fares to and from London (OK, we would need to buy tickets to Harwich as well), and that becomes expensive - considerably more so than the ferry. So it seems that the ferry, at £330 return, takes out a load of stress and when we get there, we just start cycling.

We want to combine cycling with culcher and sight-seeing, so some days we might spend a couple (or more) of nights in a city, Otherwise, we would probably want to cover about 40 miles a day when cycling. At the moment, places I'd like to see are Utrecht (we've been there once before, but only to catch a train, never stayed), Delft, Maastricht, the Frisian lakes plus of course other places recommended by the YACF travel-writers' association... ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Baggers do the Netherlands
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2019, 05:00:15 pm »
Hoorn (just north of Amsterdam) is worth a look.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2019, 05:03:23 pm »
Very much a work-in-progress, we are planning a tour, possibly a fortnight long, using our wonderful Thorn tandem. At the moment I'm looking at going out on 5th August, and returning on 19th. The first thing to decide, in my view, is how we get there. I had expected that Eurostar, all the way to Amsterdam, would be cheaper than the ferry, but it would appear not. Firstly, the direct trains rom London leave at very inconvenient times: two of them are too early in the day to be of much use - leaving on the 11.04 rom St. P would mean trying to take a bike on a train from Southend at a time when such things are banned by Later Angrier. The preferred, train, leaving at 12.58, is £125 per person to get out there, and £51.50 each to return. Add fo that £30 each way for each bike (can't take tandems on Eurostar), as well as fares to and from London (OK, we would need to buy tickets to Harwich as well), and that becomes expensive - considerably more so than the ferry. So it seems that the ferry, at £330 return, takes out a load of stress and when we get there, we just start cycling.

We want to combine cycling with culcher and sight-seeing, so some days we might spend a couple (or more) of nights in a city, Otherwise, we would probably want to cover about 40 miles a day when cycling. At the moment, places I'd like to see are Utrecht (we've been there once before, but only to catch a train, never stayed), Delft, Maastricht, the Frisian lakes plus of course other places recommended by the YACF travel-writers' association... ;)

May I recommend the Veluwe, it's the lumpy bit in the middle of the Netherlands, very pretty, has wolves, and boar.

Out towards the German border near Enschede etc... is very pretty too.

You may find the article I wrote on my blog for riders or RatN of interest, some of it's points are of general interest to cycling in .nl.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2019, 06:01:34 pm »
Marken might be worth a visit, it's an old seaport on what used to be the Zuider Zee.  And the old windmills, there used be a preserved windmills museum at Kinderdijk (which may still be there - it's a few years since the sock family visited)

Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #4 on: 13 May, 2019, 08:45:07 pm »
Leiden, when we went to Amsterdam to watch son #2 play American Football Mrs PC couldn’t understand why I had booked 2 nights in Leiden on the way back. Afterwards she understood and says she preferred it to Amsterdam! ;D

« Reply #5 on: 13 May, 2019, 08:47:29 pm »
Sadly Amsterdam is now a bit grotty. The only bit I ever really go to is the Jordaan.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
Re: Baggers do the Netherlands 5th - 19th August 2019
« Reply #6 on: 13 May, 2019, 10:07:20 pm »
The ferries are booked, and I have booked one night in Zandvoort for 6th Aug. That's an approximately 60km day for day 1.

« Reply #7 on: 13 May, 2019, 11:20:45 pm »
Marken might be worth a visit,

Seconded. I instantly thought of Marken for you Wow, but for the twitching. Take some binoculars for a stroll out to the lighthouse.

« Reply #8 on: 14 May, 2019, 10:23:42 am »
As you're in Zandvoort you might also consider Haarlem, its quite close and has a couple of nice museums
(Teyler and Frans Hals) - Grote Markt with the Sint Bavo Catherdral is worthwhile seeing too. From there you can
cycle through the polder to Spaarndam (Traditional Village) and via the short ferry to North Holland where the
usual places await (Zaanse Schans Windmills, Volendam/Marken ....)

If classical music is your thing its the Amsterdam grachten festival from 9 August onwards, a week where the
canals are turned into open-air concerts areas.

A lot of people do prefer the smaller cities these days as Amsterdam, like many places, suffers due to the sheer
numbers visiting. If you do go you might want to consider taking accomodation outside the city and using public transport.
Regards,

Alan

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #10 on: 14 May, 2019, 04:20:17 pm »
Last weekend we rode to Leiden and then had a night in the Hoge Veluwe north of Arnhem.

We did 460km in three days (210km the first day) but it’s harder work in NL for us as the cycle paths can be tricky for Velomobiles.

http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk/klauss-birthday-castle-tour-kempen-to-leiden/
http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk/klauss-birthday-castle-tour-leiden-to-arnhem/
http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk/klauss-birthday-castle-tour-arnhem-to-kempen/
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #11 on: 15 May, 2019, 12:31:09 am »
Thanks all! And I hope Klaus had a wonderful birthday!

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #12 on: 15 May, 2019, 09:23:23 am »
With regards to Maastricht, on the Fridays Tour 2017 we stayed a couple of days (we had a rest day, on which I obviously didn't rest) in the Maastricht area. I say area, because we'd chosen to visit the same weekend as Andre Rieu's annual waltz schmaltz concerts, so city centre hotel prices were all ££££. Which leads me to my tip. About 10km south is the lovely little town of Eijsden. Some excellent restaurants, lovely river views, Hotel Le Bonheur cheap but cheerful.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13 on: 15 May, 2019, 09:45:45 am »
With regards to Maastricht, on the Fridays Tour 2017 we stayed a couple of days (we had a rest day, on which I obviously didn't rest) in the Maastricht area. I say area, because we'd chosen to visit the same weekend as Andre Rieu's annual waltz schmaltz concerts, so city centre hotel prices were all ££££. Which leads me to my tip. About 10km south is the lovely little town of Eijsden. Some excellent restaurants, lovely river views, Hotel Le Bonheur cheap but cheerful.

Agreed - plus great selection of food places by the river a short walk away.

Here's all the Euro routes I have which includes the aforementioned tour to Maastricht

https://ridewithgps.com/events/58216-euro-routes

Regards,

Joergen

Ben T

« Reply #14 on: 16 May, 2019, 12:59:12 am »
The ferries are booked, and I have booked one night in Zandvoort for 6th Aug. That's an approximately 60km day for day 1.

Zandvoort has an F1 track, and excellent sand dunes.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #15 on: 16 May, 2019, 09:26:03 am »
Must go to Holland again, it's great

« Reply #16 on: 17 May, 2019, 07:42:08 pm »
and as an antidote to "old" Holland, Rotterdam has got some fabulous modern architecture

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
Re: Baggers do the Netherlands 3rd - 15th August 2019
« Reply #17 on: 28 May, 2019, 04:33:53 pm »
I've just changed the dates on this trip. Discovered that my brother and his wife are planning their annual Big Family Bash on 17th Aug and we don't want to miss that.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #18 on: 29 May, 2019, 10:47:55 pm »
Just back from a week in the Netherlands, in Frieseland, which we hadn't been to before.

We're already planning the next visit!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #19 on: 03 June, 2019, 10:01:12 pm »
I like the Hague a lot. There are some nice bike friendly hostels, it's close to the hoek port, and it's one of the prettier towns in NL because it wasn't mangled in the war. An ideal first stop or on the way home place.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #20 on: 19 June, 2019, 03:20:21 pm »
I've been booking accommodation. We are mostly in Vrienden op der Fiets accommodation, but I have booked 2 nights in Groningen for 8th/9th August. I will get on with the remaining nights this evening.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #22 on: 26 June, 2019, 07:44:40 pm »
We have a plan!

Saturday 3rd August - ferry
Sunday 4th - Zandvoort
Monday 5th - Edam
Tuesday 6th - Hippolythoef
Wednesday 7th - Franeker
Thursday 8th - Groningen
Friday 9th - Groningen
Saturday 10th - Emmen
Sunday 11th - Oldenzaal
Monday 12th - Zutphen
Tuesday 13th - Bussum
Wed 14th - Alphen an de Rijn
Thursday 15th - ferry.

All but three of the nights will be with Vrienden on de Fiets. We have booked a hotel for the two nights in Groningen and when in Bussum we will be staying with my nephew and his family.

I shall start plotting detailed routes soon. Most days are around the 60k mark, so a little short of 40 miles.

« Reply #23 on: 26 June, 2019, 07:54:56 pm »
I'll send you those maps I promised !

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #24 on: 28 June, 2019, 11:35:45 am »
I'll send you those maps I promised !

Thanks!