« on: 23 January, 2022, 05:48:42 pm »
Ok, who’s going to do it fixed?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: Fixed
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2022, 06:23:21 pm »
Maybe ...

One fixed LEL and two on gears, so far. Fixed was ok, despite being the notorious 2009 'Weather' edition. The descents of Yad Moss and other lesser ones in the Borders are sufficiently long and whooshy to be proper type-one fun, with a freewheel. The only walking I did was on the wet Alston cobbles, but the route now features the very steeply lumpy bit round Louth, hmmm.

dat

« Reply #2 on: 23 January, 2022, 06:28:59 pm »
I can’t decide between fixed and fast or “tour” on my thorn.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 23 January, 2022, 06:56:14 pm »
Maybe ...

One fixed LEL and two on gears, so far. Fixed was ok, despite being the notorious 2009 'Weather' edition. The descents of Yad Moss and other lesser ones in the Borders are sufficiently long and whooshy to be proper type-one fun, with a freewheel. The only walking I did was on the wet Alston cobbles, but the route now features the very steeply lumpy bit round Louth, hmmm.

Louth is the easy bit. Have you checked out the proposed Helmsley/Osmotherley  section?

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #4 on: 23 January, 2022, 09:54:23 pm »
Maybe ...
Same here, I'll see what shape I'm in around May/June and also assess the full route (all those AAA points aren't sending the right signals). It definitely appeals though

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #5 on: 24 January, 2022, 07:12:42 am »
Maybe ...

One fixed LEL and two on gears, so far. Fixed was ok, despite being the notorious 2009 'Weather' edition.

Didn't you snap your chain just after the Tulshielaw Inn, on the road from Eskdalemuir to Innerleithen? I have a vague memory of Denise being right behind you and having to make an unplanned diversion to the other side of the road! (I was just a bit behind Denise.)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 24 January, 2022, 07:40:07 am »
Maybe ...

One fixed LEL and two on gears, so far. Fixed was ok, despite being the notorious 2009 'Weather' edition.

Didn't you snap your chain just after the Tulshielaw Inn, on the road from Eskdalemuir to Innerleithen? I have a vague memory of Denise being right behind you and having to make an unplanned diversion to the other side of the road! (I was just a bit behind Denise.)

Yes! Fortunately not heaving up a steep hill! Chain laid itself in a line on the road, and out with the spare links. I blame my incompetent chain-joining, not mega-power output.

I must pluck up the courage to look at the full new route ...

« Reply #7 on: 24 January, 2022, 09:18:31 am »
Maybe ...

Louth is the easy bit. Have you checked out the proposed Helmsley/Osmotherley  section?

Yep - anyone on fixed will be walking a lot of that section

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #8 on: 24 January, 2022, 07:31:05 pm »
Fixed into Barney 2017
https://youtu.be/E02jBy2eFxM

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #9 on: 24 January, 2022, 07:32:36 pm »
Maybe ...

Indeed — you'd definitely want the option of a climbing gear to use from Helmsley to the moor at the top.  And fixed-riders will undoubtedly need the 24-inch for a couple of the ramps, but only a couple I feel; three maybe... er, four tops.  (I admit that I tested it on gears.)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #10 on: 24 January, 2022, 07:35:59 pm »

I'll just leave this here — Strava report on my route check of Yorkshire last year.  Great fun, but harder work than expected.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #11 on: 24 January, 2022, 08:10:36 pm »

I'll just leave this here — Strava report on my route check of Yorkshire last year.  Great fun, but harder work than expected.

Such an undeniably scenic route. I love those Hawnby hills.