Author Topic: Making a Track from a Route?  (Read 1260 times)

Making a Track from a Route?
« on: 05 March, 2012, 01:18:27 pm »
I know I've seen the answer to this in the past but I just can't find it anywhere!

My preference when riding Audaxes is to use a Track rather than a Route. I have downloaded the .gpx file from the AUK calendar page for my next ride and found it's a Route. I can of course open it in Mapsource and manually trace a Track over the course of the Route and thus create a Track version of the file but I believe there's software/a web based programme out there that will do this for me. But I can't remember what it is!

Just for clarity, when I talk of a Track in this context I mean a full breadcrumb trail, following all the twists and turns of the roads, not just a series of Trackpoints matching the Route points or viapoints in the Route.

Can any of you knowledgeable chaps out there point me in the right direction?

Chris S

Re: Making a Track from a Route?
« Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2012, 01:23:53 pm »
WinGDB3  :thumbsup:

Save the route out of Mapsource as a gdb file.
Open it with WinGDB3
Convert to a track with via points (downgrading to 500 points if required by your GPS)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2 on: 05 March, 2012, 01:24:47 pm »
If you are a garmin/mapsource user then Google for WINGDB3. It has a whole load of route/track conversion functions.

Edit: as Chris will confirm!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 05 March, 2012, 01:25:19 pm »
Or Garmin BaseCamp can do this.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 05 March, 2012, 04:50:11 pm »
WinGDB3  :thumbsup:
Save the autorouted route out of Mapsource as a gdb file.
Open it with WinGDB3
Convert to a track with via points (downgrading to 500 points if required by your GPS)

My addition.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #5 on: 05 March, 2012, 05:19:06 pm »
Thanks everyone, that's great.

« Reply #6 on: 05 March, 2012, 06:42:59 pm »
Upload your gpx onto the Course Creator page in bikehike.co.uk , then save it and select tcx as the format.

« Reply #7 on: 05 March, 2012, 08:44:32 pm »
I use http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input which automates conversion. Use advanced options to reduce the number of trackpoints.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #8 on: 06 March, 2012, 09:10:30 am »
Using Wingdb3 you can take say a 600km route and generate a series of track segments of 500 pts each with no loss of detail.

Or pad out a sparse route with additional routepoints, optionally segmenting the route into 50 waypoint chunks in one operation.

It's a regular swiss army.knife for etrex/mapsource users.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #9 on: 06 March, 2012, 09:18:57 am »
[crosspost] Ian and Flatus both good suggestions, but for anyone already used to Mapsource then WinGDB3 is a must-have - it supplies all sorts of fettling options which really should be written in to the Mapsource program itself, but aren't (and never will be).  The download site is much improved since I last looked at it http://www.sackman.info/ and the program itself has some very informative help files.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #10 on: 08 March, 2012, 12:28:18 pm »
Or GPSbabel