Author Topic: Tesco Torches now with Seoul Z P4 LED's  (Read 4140 times)

Tesco Torches now with Seoul Z P4 LED's
« on: 17 March, 2010, 11:56:55 am »
Picked up a Tesco 'C' cell LED torch (£12.99) for codging onto my bike a few weeks ago.  Actually this was the only torch available and I was a bit reluctant to buy as I really wanted the AA version. However all worked out well and I am very pleased as it  puts out a good light and seems much better than the labelled 1w output on the blister pack. Think the reason why is because it has a Seoul  Z P4 LED which is a GOOD THING. The web description for this torch says it has a 3w output. The rechargeable batteries used rattled until wrapped with pvc tape, as did the switch which was silenced with a small piece of gaffer tape.

Re: Tesco Torches now with Seoul Z P4 LED's
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2010, 12:50:42 pm »
I have 2xAA, and 1xC of the 3W Cree (came to a total of £20 I think), but I noticed a couple of months ago  they were selling 1W torches of the same style - so perhaps they've gone back to a more useful 3W now.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Zoidburg

« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2010, 06:14:03 pm »
The C Cell came with a seoul emmiter as standard, the C Cell doesn't seem to be on sale any more, mine was purchased last year.

Sadly the 3W AA models are no more.

« Reply #3 on: 29 May, 2010, 02:44:07 pm »
I modded a Tesco "C" cell torch for the DunRun last year. Inner tube over the body to stop it grating, elastic bands and wedges over the stem to get into the right position. I'll try and post a pic of it, worked perfectly - only trouble was not dipswitch so I had to switch off for oncoming traffic.

Ham

Zoidburg

« Reply #4 on: 29 May, 2010, 07:20:52 pm »
I made a mount for mine, one halfords bike computer mount that cantilievers the computer over the stem from the bars and the seat post clamp from an old rear light that fitted the torch body. Bolted together and with a cable tie for security it's more than solid enough.

I have learned that if you make a jury rigged mount too solid it shakes the light to bit's, it needs a fair bit of spring in it, the metal body of the torch against the bars even with a bit of tube around it is going to break the solder on the circuit board or even break the LED off inside the housing.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2010, 09:15:07 pm »
I made a mount for mine, one halfords bike computer mount that cantilievers the computer over the stem from the bars and the seat post clamp from an old rear light that fitted the torch body. Bolted together and with a cable tie for security it's more than solid enough.

I have learned that if you make a jury rigged mount too solid it shakes the light to bit's, it needs a fair bit of spring in it, the metal body of the torch against the bars even with a bit of tube around it is going to break the solder on the circuit board or even break the LED off inside the housing.

I'm interested and surprised by this.  I use Tescos all the time, but my mainstay is a Hope 1-LEd.  The tescos have survived, but I do tend to use them just as helmet lights where they're protected from vibration by a combination of hi-tech polystyrene and my spongy brains.

I guess that either the "waffer-thin" rubber bits on the hope 1 mount, or something in their internal construction must guard them against this fate  There's definitely not much spring in it.

Either that or your Tesco torch must've been unlucky

... I did attach a Tesco 2xAA torch for a 40 miler using a seatpost reflector mount and a jubilee clip ( not much sprig in that mount!) and it survived fine (and is still fine after several more journeys).

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Zoidburg

« Reply #6 on: 29 May, 2010, 10:15:56 pm »
Mine do get knocked about a bit, bad roads and tow paths, I go MTBing with them as well.

The head unit needs a floating spring between it and the body, the Tesco ones don't have that.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #7 on: 29 May, 2010, 10:50:13 pm »
ah ... I only do road stuff so that might explain why I'm luckier in that case...

... although we have some pretty bad and cut-up roads, and some not quite towpath/bridleway stuff, but nothing I'd actually class as off-road. (I need chief to post pics of his "shortcut" here)

(I just rode a route today that I've done ~15 times before and know where most of the bumps are but somehow managed to jar my shoulder going over a bump in the road that I should have been aware of).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike