Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3001324 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24725 on: 26 December, 2019, 06:36:45 pm »
We went to visit the old man who had been our next-door neighbour in his Care Home today.
He's in the second floor.

The view from the lounge window is encouraging...https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6019496,-0.2690625,3a,37.5y,228.43h,108.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1semaIYOoY4jxGsjy_BmnSaQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Sidney Hurry has been there longer than the care home.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24726 on: 26 December, 2019, 07:23:34 pm »
The corridors of Polish (and presumably some other places) hospitals display similar advertisements.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24727 on: 26 December, 2019, 07:28:35 pm »
My mum used to work on a geriatrics ward with a lovely view of the local cemetery.

(Is Sydney Hurry low-grade nominative determinism?)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24728 on: 26 December, 2019, 10:20:44 pm »
I think I've mentioned this business in the 'Badly-Named' thread...

Appletree Court has opened since I moved here. I can't recall what was on the site before, despite walking past it on the way to work. Sidney Hurry was ALWAYS there.

We are still somewhat bemused by the signs that read 'Nursing Home with Dementia'.

Thankfully, the second floor residents, like Ed, do not have dementia.

The outer door, inner door and lift all have their own four digit combination for security.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24729 on: 28 December, 2019, 01:18:18 pm »
One of those weird intergenerational circular things going on. Mrs Cudzo's brother is here, bearing homemade quince brandy and news. Turns out her other brother's son has a girlfriend whose mother was at university with her. This is neither in the university town nor where they grew up.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #24730 on: 30 December, 2019, 12:32:48 am »
If that gets any more convoluted we're going to need a crib just for the runners and riders....
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
They've changed it since, but earlier this morning the Graun sported a headline beginning "France: Paris police shoot man with knife".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

They've changed it since, but earlier this morning the Graun sported a headline beginning "France: Paris police shoot man with knife".
Just yesterday I was discussing with IanN otp how the venerable 4 D-cell Maglight was the weapon of choice for the New York cop, but les flics have got something better: un pistolet á couteau!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

That's up there with "I saw couples injecting reefer!" from $TABLOID "exposé" of the sordid goings-on at UFO circa 1967.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Well that knocked everything I know about microwaves stainless steel spoons on its head. For the first time in my life I forgot a spoon when reheating grub in a micro. No big sparks or booms, just yummy warm food.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
fitness to travel medical today, apparently I have category 1 hearing and the lungs of a 22 year old.

He's not asked for them back yet, so I'm keeping them
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Well that knocked everything I know about microwaves stainless steel spoons on its head. For the first time in my life I forgot a spoon when reheating grub in a micro. No big sparks or booms, just yummy warm food.

Unsurprising, because physics.  If you want sparks you need pointy things.

ElyDave

Unsurprising, because physics.  If you want sparks you need pointy things.

I want to try it with crossed barbequeueueueueue skewers now!

ian

Shuriken, surely.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Couple of skewers inna dipole with a spark gap ought to work best.  Wavelengths left as an exercise for the reader.

AOL CDs work pretty well.  (DAHIKT)

(Sparky fun aside, the other issue with metal in a microwave is that it acts as a reflector, and can potentially cause food to be undercooked.)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
The computer tape loading sound at the start of Carter USM's "A Perfect Day To Drop The Bomb" contains Yamaha drum machine programmes for the album.  Here's a labour of love:

https://youtu.be/W8-2Kn9TyZE
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Beardy

• Shedist
I seem to have found myself engaged in a ‘debate’ with a flat earther. It’s my own fault, I made a sarcastic comment about the cognitive abilities of the said group on a flat earth debunking you tube channel and made a further witticism about my head shape in response to his opening insult. I don’t think I’m going to continue to engage in discussion. But I might because he insulted me again. I shouldn’t though. Should I?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ElyDave

I have similarly withdrawn from a debate elsewhere, as two other participants are now into a
You don't understand the science
No, you don't understand the science more
No, you're the biggest stupid
I'm not listening, lalalalalalala

At which point I think I'm bored now

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
But, but the world is flat all the way around !

Beardy

• Shedist
It’s the whole bag of wilful stupidity that I can’t grasp, from the why 'how can the atmosphere stay on a ball without a container' though to the 'you’ve not seen it’s round so it can’t be round' arguments. I did try the scientific method and peer review counter arguments they were dismissed with the  'lots of words but no proof' response (with another personal insult!). I think a tactical withdrawal is the most sensible approach.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
You might want to listen to this one - The Infinite Monkey Cage : Conspiracy Theories - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dfqn

I have two glasses on my desk. One is for the whisky. The other is for the hacked up green slime.  I'm hoping not to get them confused.... :sick:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

After the news about the corona virus spreading from China to the USA I had a "Survivors" moment , which led me to watch the episode "Mad Dog" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XjfSwIpCQA  , which gave me unpleasant flashbacks to France in 2018.  Sitting in a tent with a fresh bite wound & googling for info on rabies is not something I want to repeat  :jurek:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
After the news about the corona virus spreading from China to the USA I had a "Survivors" moment , which led me to watch the episode "Mad Dog" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XjfSwIpCQA  , which gave me unpleasant flashbacks to France in 2018. 

Is that the one where they're held hostage in their van by a pack of the least scary-looking dogs the BBC's animal handlers could lay their hands on?

*watches a bit*

Ah, no, that was one of the decent ones.   :hand:

ETA:

Found the silly bit: https://youtu.be/alGcI0jhf_E?t=442

T42

• Apprentice geezer
My bank informs me that to maintain service and "relations of proximity", I can now carry out routine transactions at a bakery in the Vosges, 220 km from here.  That'll be handier than trailing the 5 km to our usual branch.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight